ARRAY(0xaa9b6ef4)

Profile for L. Murphy > Reviews

Content by L. Murphy

L. Murphy (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Limit IP-CR100 Alarm Clock Radio Speaker With iPod Docking Station (Black)
Limit IP-CR100 Alarm Clock Radio Speaker With iPod Docking Station (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars It sort of does the job, 1 Feb 2014
Firstly, the seller was excellent - the item didn't originally arrive, and they came back to me straight away and sorted it out very promptly.

Sadly, the item needs tweaking to be satisfactory. The light from the clock is outrageously bright - it casts shadows. You can read by it. Ah, but it has a dimmer function, they say. However, the dimmer seems to switch itself off after some time - maybe 20 mins or so, and I have been woken up by it coming back on. I now sleep with the instruction manual propped up in front of the display.

The charger/play function is fine, speaker quality is about what you'd expect, I was able to tune the radio, but the alarm is extremely fiddly and I don't bother with it.

I got this primarily to listen to audiobooks to send me to sleep, so it's unfortunate that the sleep timer, like the dimmer function, appears to have a mind of its own. I don't use that any more, either, and just rely on the version on my iPod.

So it's ok as a charger, a set of speakers and for ensuring passing ships don't hit any rocks, but as a dimmable alarm clock, it's not the best.

Amazing Shiny Gold & Crystal Purple Snowflake Brooch Pin Christmas Gift BR108
Amazing Shiny Gold & Crystal Purple Snowflake Brooch Pin Christmas Gift BR108
Offered by Klaritta
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, 1 Feb 2014
Nothing special - a bit boring and unimpressive in real life. Wouldn't have bought it in a shop. Blah blah.

Price: 109.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the left-handed!, 1 Feb 2014
I upgraded to the Paperwhite about a year ago, after getting too fed up with the lack of touch-screen typing on the basic Kindle. I so nearly love it. However, Amazon got rid of the page turning buttons on the sides, and it's just killed the Paperwhite for me. There's so much hype about it being "one-handed"...maybe, but only if you're not left-handed. Instead of being able to unobtrusively push the button to turn the page, you have to stretch your thumb right across the page to move forward in the book. And it is a stretch, because if you don't, then you go back a page. Arrgh!
All the other stuff - the rest of the touchscreen-ness, the backlight, the quality etc are excellent, and if the Paperwhite had kept the side buttons, I'd gladly treat it like my firstborn, but after a year of trying and failing to get comfortable with the page-turning awkwardness, I think I'm going to have to buy a Nook and hack it so that I can access Amazon. Sigh.

Good Girl Plastic Pet Carrier, 500mm/ 19.5-inch (colours may vary)
Good Girl Plastic Pet Carrier, 500mm/ 19.5-inch (colours may vary)
Price: 15.83

3.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous design, 19 Dec 2013
Ok, it's sturdy, keeps the cat contained etc, but I'd love to meet the bright spark who thought of putting the hinge for the door at the top. The idea apparently being you should be able to hold the flap open while wrestling a cat into the carrier. I have to tie a bit of ribbon to the handle and then attach the other end to the grille with a loose knot, so that I can get the cat in and then get the grille closed quickly. Other than that, it's fine - it carries the cat, but the design is bizarre and awkward for one person. Even if the hinge was on the bottom it'd be easier. A clear case of design over function.

Kinked: Number 6 in series (Elder Races)
Kinked: Number 6 in series (Elder Races)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Nov 2013
Like the other review, I really didn't expect to get so involved and emotional over Aryal, but I actually had a few tears. Wonderful story, and the characters remained true to the previous books. So impressed!

Captive Tigress (Tiger Series)
Captive Tigress (Tiger Series)
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Had potential, but not good., 22 Jun 2013
Story could have been ok, but it was disjointed and gappy, and the disturbing attachment of very grown men to their infant/not even born mates. There is nothing appealing about some bloke insisting he attends the birth of his mate, then being told it'll be ok when he can hold her as "t'will ease the raw ache". Lastly, I also prefer to read work by an author who knows the difference between "shudder" and "shutter", or at least how to use Spellcheck. (FYI, out not gout, fare not fair, breech not breach) By the end I was skimming to get to the end for the sake of it. If only I could get the 77p and hour of my life back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2013 12:26 PM BST

Amigurumi (Cozy)
Amigurumi (Cozy)
by Lan-Anh Bui
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Amigurumi (Cozy) (Paperback)
This was the second amigurumi book I've bought, and while I wasn't able to follow the first at all (Creepy Cute Crochet), this was written in a much clearer fashion. So far I've made the fish (a little disturbing, to be honest) and the mouse, which came out very cute indeed, and was immediately stolen by a friend for her baby, and another requested!

Wicked Becomes You
Wicked Becomes You
by Meredith Duran
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful - couldn't even finish it, 21 Sep 2010
Going by the previous reviews, it seems like I attempted to read an entirely different book. I found both characters irritating, although I did feel for Gwen when initially jilted, the insults in her letter were so modern and unlikely, I started switching off there and then, and when she started talking about knitting sweaters in 18-whenever-it-was...it's the usual sloppy US phrasing and editing. I've got used to reading about English people hiding in closets, or enjoying the brisk fall weather. It's jarring, but a fact of life if I'm reading a romance. This was a new one, and she kept going on about it. It's a jumper. Not a sweater.

Other than that, I just couldn't get into this book - and I read a lot of romances. I found Gwen too modern and the "hero" too wimpy. I even tried skipping to the end to see if I cared about how they turned out - still didn't inspire me to get past the first half. In the end, I was delighted I got this from the library, and was considering sticking a warning note in there for anyone else contemplating taking the book out.

Strange Brew
Strange Brew
by Charlaine Harris
Price: 8.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Feel a bit cheated..., 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Strange Brew (Paperback)
I got this book purely for the Patricia Briggs story from the Alpha/Omega series, which I LOVE. The story was excellent, but so short. It would have been fantastic as a freebie on her website, but, to be fair, I'm not the one trying to make a living as an author. I think some of Christine Feehan's appendices have been longer than this story, though.

I know Brigg's is probably best known for her Mercy Thompson series, and that's the only reason I can think of for why this story was included in a compilation of stories that otherwise seemed to be written entirely in the first person. I loathe stories written in the first person - I like to know how the other character - especially the male lead - is thinking and feeling. Not knowing is too much like real life, and I read to escape that...

Anyway, I had a flick through the other stories, was unimpressed with Jim Butcher's story - can't really remember it now, didn't bother with any others (so probably not the most useful of reviews).

If you like 1st person pov, see the other reviews for more details. If you're a PB fan, it's good - you're not missing much if you decide to save the best part of a tenner for a 30-odd page story.

Mini vs Camper Van Tic Tac Toe
Mini vs Camper Van Tic Tac Toe

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly titchy, 27 Aug 2010
This is a cute, fun toy, but the cars are tiny - about the size of Micro Machines, and the board is to scale. I was a bit surprised, based on the picture, although it does give accurate dimensions in the description.

A good stocking filler.