Profile for Emelia > Reviews

Adam Ant: The Blueblack Hussar [Blu-ray]
Adam Ant: The Blueblack Hussar [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Adam Ant

4.0 out of 5 stars Worries Of An Antfan, 21 July 2014
The film was an interesting ride for me. I love Adam Ant old and new. I follow up on whatever interviews I can, whatever gigs are posted live on the net; I try to be a determined fan, but this movie for me really seemed... different than the Adam Ant that I get to see continuously in the media.

The film took a pretty egotistical, uneasy tone. It seemed as if it were edited to make sure that all the bad/"downer" footage of Adam would get into the final cut without much of a reprieve. Don't get me wrong! I mean, he's a charmer for sure. He goes through the downer moments with a quirk and an estranged smile that makes you grin nonetheless, but it was tense. It was almost unrelenting, actually. I worry that the film concentrated a bit too hard on the mental illness of Adam Ant to be a little controversial (and I don't think that the mental illness was accurately portrayed, coming from a person with mental illness that has always lived with people with mental illness)

In any case, it really shows off the magic of Adam at the same time. The man has a real fashion sense, good humor, and lots of interesting stories to tell. As always, he's an eloquent thinker and speaker, and that's what makes the film good. The moments where we do get to see Adam at his peak are fantastic. The cinematography is also pretty amazing, which is always a plus.