Profile for Anglers Rest > Reviews

Content by Anglers Rest

Anglers Rest (Devon, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Lonely Planet Australia (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Australia (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Australia, 9 Jun. 2012
I first headed to Australia when I was in my early 20s having been given an inscribed copy by a very good friend for my 21st birthday. Now before each visit I purchase the very latest edition! These are the most comprehensive travel guides I have have ever come across & the Australia one is no different. Highly recommended.

A Knitter's Home Companion
A Knitter's Home Companion
by Michelle Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars A Knitter's Home Companion: A Heartwarming Collection of Stories, Patterns, and Recipes, 3 Jun. 2012
I was recently given the opportunity to review this book and am delighted that I did. I really enjoyed the book. The combination of recipes, pattens and chapters shared by the author, a collection of ramblings from past times, featuring old friends, new friend and contemplations.

Some reflective pieces, some amusing. I wonder whether Woody the Woodpecker liked and appreciated his knitted item?

What I think that I enjoyed the most was that I could identify with some of the passages written by the author. A special chair in which to sit and enjoy life and from where knitting commences. Thoughts occur and conversations happen. Indeed, it felt as though I was sitting in the armchair next to Michelle while she knitted! As I read the various passages, my thoughts turned back to my childhood, when I sat with my Grandmother who tried very patiently to teach me to knit.

You can read the author's website [...]

I received an e-book of this book in exchanged for an honest and open review.

My overall thoughts were this was a great book. I liked it so much that I have ordered a hardback copy that I can enjoy again and again!

Orbs of Power
Orbs of Power

4.0 out of 5 stars Orbs of Power, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Orbs of Power (Kindle Edition)
Not usually a fan of fantasy, I was asked to review this book and I am glad I did. This is fast pasted with some really strong characters and everything you would perhaps expect from a fantasy novel, including dragons! I liked it!

Inklings
Inklings

3.0 out of 5 stars Inklings, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Inklings (Kindle Edition)
Inklings is a small volume containing a selection of flash fiction titles. The stories are written in a variety of styles and therefore this is an ideal start for those who are not sure they like the genre of flash fiction.

What, on the surface appears to be quick reads, is in fact deeper and more meaningful than that, as readers pull back the most obvious layers of the story to reveal the true meaning.

My personal favourites were Greenie, Cheecky and The Revolt of the Coconut Trees.

I was provided with a free copy of the e-book in exchange for an honest

Shopping & Cooking Frugally
Shopping & Cooking Frugally

5.0 out of 5 stars Frugal & Thoughful!, 11 Mar. 2012
I spotted this a week or two ago, available as a free download for Amazon Kindle. I notice today though it has gone back up to £1.30 here in the UK. What drew me to the book was the cover. I know, you should not judge a book by its cover, but sometimes, you just have to! So downloaded the book was and I read using my iPad.

The author is an American, so this is written with an American readership in mind, although that did not matter. The book has some references to the author's Christianity, it was not overly referenced or intrusive. It is written in a very genuine manner and automatically readers share a warmth with the author.

What I found interesting was the apparent differences between grocery shopping in the United States and the UK. The every day things that we take for granted or acceptance within our own lives and way of life. The use of vouchers and really being organised enough to use them before the expiry, something that I rarely do! The author shares her experiences of food parcels - she had in the past both contributed to them for others and received one and her reflections and observations about the types of foods that go into them.

The food parcel references reminded me of when I was at school. Around October time we would have a Harvest Festive. Historically it was about giving thanks for the Harvest that would take families and communities through Winter into Spring. We were encouraged to submit the name & address of someone who was elderly or perhaps would benefit from such a parcel. We would then be tasked to collect a small box - usually a little larger than a shoe box and fill it with groceries. The goodies box then went into school for the assembly and afterwards we were dispatched into the community to deliver the said parcel to the named individual. Some happy memories there.

The author talks about buying fresh meat on sale, making the point of exactly how fresh is it? Taking advantage of those special offers. There were two thoughts that I had whilst reading.

The way we shop today is hugely different to the way our Grandparents shopped and further thinking was even shopping from when I was a kid in the 1970s is different to now. Here in the UK when I was growing up shops were closed on Sundays. The only times they opened on a Sunday was at Christmas. Shops closed at 5.30pm or 6pm and late night food shopping - well until 8pm happened on a Thursday and Friday. Now grocery shops can be open 24 hours apart from the Sunday trading regulations which prevents this on a Sunday. In Scotland the trading regulations are different on a Sunday.

The domestic equipment we have now impacts on the way we shop. Homes have fridges and freezers,and there availability impacts on how, when and how often we shop. My regular supermarket has offers on fairly regularly. Some meats have little tickets on "2 for £10" these are foods that I regularly buy - mince, chickens and chicken portions, chops, gammon steaks. I tend to select those with the longest shelf dates and put in the fridge, then as the date approaches if I have not used it put it in the freezer. I tend to repackage chicken portions into bags of 2. Not only does that save space but also means I can defrost the two I need rather than the whole pack! Simple things that perhaps are frugal, but also have an historical concept to them.

At the rear of the book are some useful websites, including a link to the author's and some recipes.

I enjoyed this book, not because it has a nice cover! or the content, which despite being in the UK contained useful information, but also because it made me think, reflect of earlier times in my life and consider the changes to past generations.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2012 10:54 AM BST

Australia: The Bombing of Darwin & One Family's Story. (One Man's War Journey Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bombing of Darwin, 28 Feb. 2012
I came across this via Amazon and downloaded the material as I was interested to read further. In recent weeks, as this is the 70th Anniversary of the Bombing of Darwin by the Japanese, there has been some increased awareness. I have to say, that whilst I did know some of the details, I knew relatively little about the bombing of what Australian's call the "Top End".

I would not go as so far to say this is a book, more like an essay. That though, does not detract from the importance of the historical event or the events which involved the Darwin population at the time or indeed this family. So many of these stories are forgotten as time passes and a whole generation passes away. So this is a reminder of how the events evolved.

Complete with what I would refer to as an appendix there are references to various details on Wikipedia, information from the Australian Navy Archives, books and further notes. My only criticism is that in order to name the author for this review I had to look to Amazon for the answer, although there is the name of the author on the last page, rather than at the beginning.

This has the basis for a more in depth piece of work and I thank the author for sharing.

Adam Clark Vroman: 80+ Native American Indian Photographs
Adam Clark Vroman: 80+ Native American Indian Photographs

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking., 28 Feb. 2012
This is a delightful collection of 40 reproduction photographs depicting Indian life in the South Western United States.

The book starts off with a small biography of Adam Clark Vroman, which explains that Vroman started experimenting with photography in 1892. He sold his rare book collection in order to open a store in Pasadena that sold photography equipment, books and stationary. Vroman never sold the photographs he took, preferring to give them to travelling companions with similar interests. Interestingly, Vroman's bookstore still operates in Pasadena.

Incidentally, a quick search via the Internet reveals a link to Vroman with more details of his life and photographs at the California Museum of Photography. Even in these financially troubled times, the book store still flourishes.

The photographs shown are a small glimpse into the everyday life of Hopi and Zuni people. They are depicted going about there every day business, some are in poses and there is even a photograph showing the involvement of the hair (see cover photograph). For me this was a delightful way of spending an hour or so, looking at the photographs and seeing what other data is available on line. Fascinating!

Lilacs A to E: Lilacs A - Z Coffee Table Books Book 1
Lilacs A to E: Lilacs A - Z Coffee Table Books Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Lilacs, 28 Feb. 2012
This is one book from a set of four showing some lovely photographs of Lilacs.

The collection started as a trip, by the author, down memory lane. Reminders of a Grandmother and her love of Lilacs. The author found herself previously living close to a park that was home to lots of Lilac bushes. The author took opportunity to photograph those Lilac bushes and in doing so has collated a pictorial encyclopaedia of the flowers.

Some really beautiful photographic shots detailing all the different varieties of the flowers. The photographs reveal what you know will be a lovely fragrance, if only we could smell it!

I read successfully using my iPad.

Lilacs F to L (Lilacs A - Z Book 2)
Lilacs F to L (Lilacs A - Z Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lilacs, 28 Feb. 2012
This is one book from a set of four showing some lovely photographs of Lilacs.

I read successfully using my iPad.

Forgotten Bookmarks: A Bookseller's Collection of Odd Things Lost Between the Pages
by Michael Popek

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten Bookmarks, 26 Feb. 2012
I first became aware of this book by reading a blog written by someone. I then followed a load of links and eventually was introduced to the book, the website, Facebook page and the twitter feed. I added the book to my Amazon list and my intended next order. The book arrived under the Christmas tree, courtesy of my Mum and I have spent the last couple of months reading the book cover to cover and then delving back into random pages.

In short I loved this book! The cover has a "read me" feel to it and once inside, the pages have an old feel to them. This is truly a collection of bits that have been found in random books by the author. Each page is filled with a photograph of the forgotten bookmark, a transcript of it along with a photograph and details of the book it was found in. There is no rhyme or reasoning behind the bookmarks used. Some are photographs, others are recipes and receipts, letters, postcards, beer mats and even a couple of actual bookmarks. The books they were left in are a mix of older books from the late 19th Century up until 2001.

These bookmarks are so much more than that. They are snapshots of someone's life, a glimpse into their world, even if for a short time. We have all done it, simply grabbed the nearest thing we could use as a bookmark, rummaged in a handbag,purse or wallet, or perhaps a notebook, even perhaps the corner from a magazine, book, newspaper. I have even been known to use an unused tissue or a square of toilet paper! It isn't just the book these marks were left in, or the mark itself, perhaps it is also where the former reader left the book mark. What was it on that particular page that they found interesting? Or did someone else stumble across the book with the page marked and move the book mark. Whatever the reason or cause this is a great book to disappear into, with pondering and speculation of a previous owner or world we, as readers can never discover.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8