ARRAY(0xa5d33948)

A Wolf at the Table
A Wolf at the Table
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Darker Burroughs, 30 Nov 2013
I first found Burroughs through Running with Scissors, which is laugh out loud funny. His early life is dysfunctional, and the subject matter is dark, but the characters are described in a way that makes it easy to swallow. So I felt like I knew boy Augusten a little bit, a smart mouthed kid who somehow rode the crest of the crazy people he lived with. And then I read Dry and some of his essays, and then I found this. And it is unutterably, beautifully, dreadfully, horribly sad. Augusten is a little boy prey to the Big Bad Wolf, who he loves, and who constantly rejects him and who, as the book progresses, becomes more malevolent and scary (without actually doing anything obviously, legally vile).

I have children, and I have to say I have been a little kinder since I read this book. It is told so well from the child's perspective, how being too tired, too old and too bored can seem to your kid. I wanted to fix it for Augusten in a way I didn't with the other books, and am only glad I read some of his essays to know that he seems to be OK now.

So to summarise, not a laugh a minute, but gripping and worth reading.

Possible Side Effects: True Stories
Possible Side Effects: True Stories
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny funny funny, 27 Nov 2013
Mr. Burrows writes beautifully. His content is not going to be for everyone. I once shared the opening scenes of 'Withnail and I' with a bunch of people who found it sad and upsetting that grown men lived in such squalor. If you are with them, don't read this, or any of his other books. I read Running with Scissors every year or so, and it is still fresh and interesting. This set of essays is sometimes lighter in tone (I'm thinking the broken dog, and his sojourn in London) but not always. It is laugh out loud funny, though, if you like your humour on the dark side.

Don't worry about the moral, just enjoy the ride. I really like Cynthia Heimel's essays on life too ('If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead yet' etc) and there's the same kind of subtext - someone who knows themselves really well, and can be amusing and honest at the same time. I am a big fan.

Bait Dog: An Atlanta Burns Novel
Bait Dog: An Atlanta Burns Novel
Price: 2.02

5.0 out of 5 stars I fell in love with Atlanta Burns, 3 Nov 2013
About 5% through the kindle version I realised that the stomach wrenching knot of emotion I had was just pure love for Ms Burns. The book is dark but the heroine is superb, the characterisation is awesome and because it is so dark you don't quite know how far the writer will go, so you are in true suspense because no one is safe, which is a worry because of the aforementioned love for Atlanta. I really enjoyed the Miriam Black novels, but I love this one even more, maybe because there is no supernatural element, just a girl who isn't prepared to take the badness in the world lying down.

The Physics Of The Dead - A Supernatural Mystery Novel
The Physics Of The Dead - A Supernatural Mystery Novel
Price: 2.94

4.0 out of 5 stars What an interesting book, 2 Nov 2013
I was beguiled by the cover page (even though I bought it in Kindle) and the blurb, and I was not disappointed. I thought and still think its the original idea that sells it - it's such an unusual idea, dead people trapped in Coventry, although the book is not funny in the way that that synopsis suggests. It flows well, though the interaction between the living and the dead is minimal, which is what originally interested me in the idea. Coventry is really just a backdrop for the Purgatory of The Foyer, so what keeps you reading is the hope that by the end they will get out, that the reason they are there will be explained ...

I've dropped a star not for content but for formatting, as the hyphens mentioned in another review are really annoying and do detract from the enjoyment of the read.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 4:15 AM GMT

John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course: First Christmas Tunes
John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course: First Christmas Tunes
by Various
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The children are playing recognisable tunes!, 31 Oct 2013
What a confidence booster for a beginner! Uses two hands but makes a recognisable tune. Great. As the book progresses there are more complex melodies, but we are very satisfied with the first few.

White Bones: 1 (Katie Maguire)
White Bones: 1 (Katie Maguire)
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank god for a skilled writer, 31 Oct 2013
I read a lot, and I trawl through the kindle store and subsequently read a lot of trash. I had had a bad few goes when I stumbled on this book. It was immediately apparent this was well written by someone who thought through what he was doing. Police who actually check alibis and think through ideas before they put them into action. Although are not infallible. My credulity was stretched slightly towards the end, but a thoroughly good read, well realised characters - and I love the way the villains are mundane as well as mad.

Oh, possibly a bit too graphic and gory for my taste, but does not detract from being a good read.

Mary Poppins - The Complete Collection (Includes all six stories in one volume)
Mary Poppins - The Complete Collection (Includes all six stories in one volume)
by P. L. Travers

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a thick book!, 30 Oct 2013
I must have not been paying attention when I ordered it, because this is one big book, not a collection of books in a box. So it's going to be heavy for a child to read. The stories themselves are amazing, a lot more acerbic and entertaining than the film. I loved them as a child and am looking forward to sharing them with my children. 5 stars for content, 3 for fitness for purpose in one volume, but good value for money.

Eco Steam Mop Cleaner Washer - Wooden Hard Floor Rug Carpet No Detergents
Eco Steam Mop Cleaner Washer - Wooden Hard Floor Rug Carpet No Detergents
Offered by Babz Media
Price: 25.15

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, 30 Oct 2013
It does get dirt up, it does steam, but it's just as easy to mop the floor, and probably easier to get the mop into the corners. Bit of an anti-climax. Oh, and it doesn't let you get into the grouting, so that still needs doing by hand.

Blackbirds (A Miriam Black novel)
Blackbirds (A Miriam Black novel)
Price: 3.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to stay with you, 30 Oct 2013
Chuck Wendig has a graphic novel background, I think, and it shows in this novel. Sharp characterisation and very moody, dark story, very visual, lots of strong imagery that adds to the mood of the story. Having been a Sandman and TankGirl fan back in the day this book was right up my street. I read a criticism in another review that the main (female) character has a male voice. Well, I'm a woman and I want more of this kind of a voice in my female protagonists, so go figure, it read true to me.

The darkness of the book meant I had genuine concern for the welfare of the characters I liked, which kept me reading ... Straight on into book number 2, which I would also recommend.

Heft
Heft
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky clever book, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Heft (Kindle Edition)
I read this book very quickly, because I could not put it down. It has a very approachable style and it avoids all the cliches that the story offers the author the chance to put in. It's characters are unusual and they are none of them perfect - well, some of the peripheral ones are really really nice, but otherwise the main ones are all struggling with their lives. I think I will remember the story for a long time and will want to read it again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6