Profile for David49729 > Reviews

David49729 (UK)

The Patient Paradox: Why Sexed Up Medicine is Bad for Your Health
The Patient Paradox: Why Sexed Up Medicine is Bad for Your Health
by Margaret McCartney

5.0 out of 5 stars An accurate and well-written account of modern medicine, 30 Oct. 2012
This book has been carefully researched and is accurate and well-written.

These aren't maverick views; every doctor I know shares most of them. So why are patients not more aware of this - have doctors been deliberately hiding them?

The answer is firmly 'no'. Unfortunately doctors simply do not have time for a fully informed discussion with all of their patients, but this isn't their fault - it is because these examples of over-screening, investigation and treatment are so widespread now, that doctors have little choice but to comply with them, for reasons explained in this book. They are often exasperated themselves!

My advice would be: read and enjoy this book and if you're concerned about things like screening invitations, don't spend endless hours researching on the internet. Ask your GP what they think and more often than not, you will find that their opinions are similar to those of Dr McCartney's.

Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker
Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hire a lawn raker - buy this one!, 19 Aug. 2012
I used to hire an electric lawn raker about once a year and was forever putting off buying one. If that is you, then don't hesitate and buy this one!

It is far better than any electric raker I have hired. It's very light weight and manoeuvrable. It does a great job and the four depth settings provided meaningful differences in effect. The collection box has a good volume and does a good job at compacting, but you will still need plenty of bin bags!

So far, I haven't needed to replace any of the tines.

Even if you only use it once or twice a year, it's definitely worth buying.

Bosch AXT 25 D Quiet Shredder
Bosch AXT 25 D Quiet Shredder

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful but quiet shredder for thicker woody branches, 19 Aug. 2012
Previously I bought a Bosch AXT 2200 Rapid shredder and was really disappointed by it, but this shredder is exactly what I was looking for.

You need to know what you're looking for and I think this was why I bought the wrong shredder the first time. This shredder is ideal for thicker, woody stems, but not so good for thin leafy stems. It will get through leafy material provided that you are feeding it thick-stem first.

It's perfect for disposing of leafless winter pruned material. Previously I used to prune small sections so that I could dispose of it easily. Now I prune to strategic large branches and then feed them stem first into the shredder. It's pretty quiet and shouldn't annoy your neighbours. It can run for hours with no apparent difficulty. Only rarely does it balk at something that's too thick. If you pile green leaf material into it, it may well get blocked because this doesn't give it anything to purchase against. I found the collection box to be an ideal size, because when it's filled, it's still a convenient size and weight to carry to wherever you're going with it. If you feed it thick branches, it chops them into little chunks, which is exactly what I was looking for to mulch.

It's pretty heavy but not bad to manoeuvre over short distances and it has a small footprint for storage, considering the power of the machine.

I've used it for a couple of years now and it's been reliable.

BLACK+DECKER GPC1800 18V Cless Pole Pruner 20cm C/B
BLACK+DECKER GPC1800 18V Cless Pole Pruner 20cm C/B

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for thick branches that you can't easily reach, 19 Aug. 2012
I bought this to use on thicker branches of trees and shrubs that I couldn't safely reach and I've found it perfect for this. The overall reach is excellent and I found the motor to be surprisingly powerful. It isn't good for thin branches because there is no purchase for the saw to work against, but I doubt that you would be using a chainsaw for these normally. The battery life isn't great, but I found it workable especially if you have a second battery available.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to Neff branded spare, 19 Aug. 2012
I found this reasonably easy to fit and it seems to work as well as the original Neff fan that stopped working. So far, so good and much cheaper than buying a Neff branded spare

5x Canon PGI-520 / CLI-521 FCI Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges (Contains: 1x 520BK Large Black, 1x 521C Cyan, 1x 521M Magenta, 1x 521Y Yellow, 1x 521BK Small Black) Double Capacity Inks
Offered by First Call Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value compatible ink, 19 Aug. 2012
I have a Canon MP620 and I've tried compatible inks before without much success, however I have these to produce good quality black and white and colour prints at a fraction of the cost of Canon ink. I should add that I have not tried them for photo printing, but for my purposes they are absolutely adequate.

Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater
Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy wifi extension, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Huawei Wi-Fi Repeater (Accessory)
I had previously used a Homeplug wifi extender, which worked ok, but could be a bit fiddley to configure. Provided you have a WPS compatible router (mine is a newish Sky router), then setup is incredibly simple, requires no configuration and seems to produce a good wifi signal. One of the best technology items I have bought.

PowerBee ® Signaller Solar Security Light with 28 latest technology large Superbright led's / Movement Activated / Adjustable PIR / Directional PIR / Directional lighting / Designed to work ALL year round in the UK
Offered by PowerBee Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solar powered security light, 8 April 2012
I waited a while to review this, because I wanted to see if it lasted the winter. I live in a wet and windy area and the light is still working normally. This will never be as powerful as a mains security light, but I bought it to be able to be able to see enough to unlock a gate which is some distance from the house. It has been perfect for that. I wondered about getting the two-headed version, but this one was fine - it is easily adjusted through a variety of positions. Would definitely recommended.

(Just realised that I rated this four stars in error - changed it to five stars!)

Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder (40 mm Cutting Capacity)
Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 Blade Shredder (40 mm Cutting Capacity)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor performance, 4 April 2011
I'm contributing to the not-so merry-band of poor reviews for this shredder.

I've had a good experience of Bosch products, including an excellent mower. I did my research and was aware of the small minority of negative reviews, but I chose to go with the majority view.

I noted the caveats about being careful what you shred and started shredding fairly light material. Worked great...for about 15 minutes. The blade was completely blunt. I reversed it and started again, even more cautiously and exactly the same thing happened - another 15 minutes worth. Perhaps it was faulty? I couldn't believe that this was its normal performance. Should I buy some new blades? But at £15 each? Request a replacement?

As others are finding, Amazon customer service for returns is excellent and I decided to send it back for a refund, which went through very quickly. I just didn't want to go through the process again of hopeful unpacking followed by disappointment.

Interestingly I've seen that the customer reviews of the Bosch strimmers are poor, so it looks like they're getting it right some of the time, but not always.

P.S. I subsequently bought a Bosch AXT25D Shredder, which was much more suited to my needs. Having said that, I'm still not sure why you would need to shred material that is sufficiently light enough to be put through the AXT Rapid 2200.

Logitech Z-10 Interactive 2.0 Speaker System
Logitech Z-10 Interactive 2.0 Speaker System

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound. Nightmarish USB problems, 19 Feb. 2010
I bought a pair of these and was overall pleased with the sound quality. However at the end of the day I found them to be unusable because of problems associated with their USB setup. Perhaps the speakers I bought were actually faulty, but if you check Logitech's forum a number of others have also described similar problems. I subsequently bought a pair of Samson Studiodock 3i's (also USB connected) for £20 more and they work perfectly and sound superb.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 1:57 PM BST