Profile for betty-boola > Reviews

School Was My Hustle
School Was My Hustle
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The Return of Rawkus??, 13 Dec. 2006
This review is from: School Was My Hustle (Audio CD)
--Well if this is anything to go buy then I would emphatically say yes. This along with Panacea's "In Is My Drink" and The Procussions "5 Sparrows for 2 Cents" makes things look very bright indeed for the indie staple.

Anyway...back to the Kidz...as someone who probably owns close to a thousand Hip Hop albums it takes something to special to really, really. realllly impress me, and that is exactly what this Chicago duo does. Naledge's flow is nice and he touches on a variety of topics and shows that he is a multi-faceted Emcee, rather than just a thug, or just a backpacker etc. He also knows his Hip Hop history as his rhymes are littered with references to the culture.

Double 00'S beats are NICE! His reworking of Souls of Mischief's "93 Til" really surprised me as it's such a classic, and should be doomed to fail, but it doesn't. Also check out "Don't Stop" to see where Jay-Z and Just Blaze jacked the beat for "Show Me What You Got From" (I'm sure the Kidz/Rawkus must of got a nice cheque for it).

ANYWAY....Damn I've written a lot.

Great beats, great flow, great rhymes. Great Album. Lets hope Rawkus gets it right second time around.

Heroz 4 Hire
Heroz 4 Hire
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Patchy, 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Heroz 4 Hire (Audio CD)
This is not a bad album, it just doesn't live up to Jeru's past glories, but this is still essential for any Jeru fans. No longer produced by the godlike DJ Premier, Jeru handles all of the production himself, and the result is mixed. The wicked single 99.9% Pa Cent, shows the he is also as nice behind the boards as he is on the mic, but on some tracks the beats don't seem to marry well to Jeru's flow, which is a shame because it distracts from Jeru's rhymes, which are still as on point as ever. A few tracks also feature Miz Marvel, who can rhyme her ass off, but I have heard nothing of her since this albums release six years ago, so....
So patchy production, great rhymes, slightly better than average album, but I will give it four stars rather than three.

Wrath Of The Math
Wrath Of The Math

5.0 out of 5 stars �We Brought Hip-Hop Back Home That Night�, 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Wrath Of The Math (Audio CD)
This was the album that exposed me to the self proclaimed Prophet, Jeru The Damaja, and still remains my favourite of his four albums, and indeed one of my favourite hip-hop albums full stop. Like his debut album, Jeru is blessed to have DJ Premier produce the whole album, and there really isn't a bad track on the whole disc. One of the most gifted MC's flowing over beats concocted by arguably the greatest hip-hop producer of all time, there really wasn't anywhere this project could go wrong and it doesn't. Standout songs include the huge single "Ya Playin Ya'self" which dominated the hip-hop airwaves back in 1995. Jeru also offers a brutal verbal lashing of Puff Daddy, Suge Knight, Jay-Z, Foxy Brown on "One Day" a metaphorical tale of how Jeru and Premo saved hip-hop from people attempting to destroy its true meaning. Simply put this is a brilliant album, and one of the best hip-hop has to offer, every true rap fan needs to own this album.

Writers Block, The Movie
Writers Block, The Movie
Offered by Sound and Vision

5.0 out of 5 stars A Walk Around The Block, 28 Jun. 2005
This is a fantastic album from Chicago MC Capital D. The long time All Natural man goes for delf on this one and pulls it off with aplomb. I remember when the album was released, it was album of the week on the Radio 1 Lamacq show, so after listening to the few tracks he played that week, I went out that weekend and bought the album, and was happy to find the album is great from start to finish. Produced by Cap D himself and Chicago production crew the Molemen, the funky beats, perfectly complement this concept album. D tells tales of the Writer's Block, so characters from each song often drift in and out of each song, as he takes you on a vivid journey through it, while many concepts albums fall flat, this one works perfectly, and is a must have for any fans of the Slick Rick storytelling rap. Well chuffed with this one!

Koolmotor
Koolmotor

5.0 out of 5 stars "Lazy Schmazy", 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Koolmotor (Audio CD)
Cincinnati's finest Five Deez (there is four members, go figure!) debut album is absolutely fantastic, I overlooked it when it was first released, when I eventually heard it I felt like I had mugged myself. The production on this album is so tight it is impossible to explain. The track "Sexual for Elizabeth" instantly became one of my all time favourite hip-hop songs (quite a statement from some-one who owns around 1000 albums). Whilst the focus of this album is cantered on the production, mainly handled by Fat Jon, the rappers flows really complement the laid back feeling to this album. I simply cannot recommend this album strongly enough, any rap fan of ATCQ through to Little Brother should buy this album right away.

Kinkynasti
Kinkynasti
Offered by Cheap CDs

4.0 out of 5 stars No sophmore jinx for Five Deez, 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Kinkynasti (Audio CD)
Hmm...this is album is a good album, but after their amazing debut I was expecting a lot from this album, which left me feeling a little disappointed. But after a couple more listens, I realised that while not on a par with "Koolmotor", this is a great album. Once again there is the lush production from Fat Jon, as showcased on the instrumental tracks such as, "The Ocean". Throw back anthem "B GIRL" is my personal fave, the crew drops some sweet lines over bouncy up-tempo beat, guaranteed to get anyone up on their feet dancing. So if you like good hip-hop or bought "Koolmotor" but heard mixed reviews regarding "Kinkynasti", it really is a good album, definitely worth your money and your time.

Return of the Funky Man
Return of the Funky Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Finesse the MIC., 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Return of the Funky Man (Audio CD)
I've always been a big fan of Lord Finesse, so when I saw this CD on a rack whilst on a trip to New York City, I grabbed it straight away (this was back before I had internet access, and had yet to discover online shopping, lol). Finesse as always drops his witty punch line laden flow. Production is mainly handled by fellow D.I.T.C members Showbiz and Diamond D. In my opinion not quite as good as his debut, but nevertheless still a great album, and one all true hip-hop fans should own.

Funk Technician
Funk Technician
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars �Your still saying �Damn� to a rhyme I said a week ago�, 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Funk Technician (Audio CD)
Lord Finesse seems to be one of those MC's who has been forgotten about these days, which is a real shame because he is an amazing rapper. A member of the Diggin' in the Crates crew, and while fellow member Big L (R.I.P.) is often to seen to be a punch line king, Lord Finesse gives him a run for his money. Some of the lines Finesse comes out with are absolute genius, all with a great flow to match. The production here is all superb and has stood the test of time well (but what else would you expect from the likes of DJ Premier, Diamond D and Showbiz). A definite must buy for anyone wanting some of that true school New York good ol' boom bap Hip-Hop.

Masters Of Illusion
Masters Of Illusion

5.0 out of 5 stars El Gigantico, 28 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Masters Of Illusion (Audio CD)
Kool Keith and Motion Man rapping over a whole album of Kut Master Kurt beats, before I got this I had such high hopes, and man were they not met, they were surpassed. Damn this album is good. Even if every other track was bogus, "Partnas Confused" would warrant a five star rating by its damn self (check out the scratching by DJ Revolution at the end, mind-blowing.) Whilst I am a big fan of Kool Keith, I often think a lot of his work is overrated, but here he drops most of his persona's and just flows a Keith the great rapper, and it works brilliantly. Motion Man more than holds his own against the legendary Ultramagnetic MC, I personally think he steals the show from Keith, just listen to his solo track "Call The National Guard" for proof. Kurt production is tight throughout, especially on the 80's throwback tune "The Bay-Bronx Bridge" harking back to Keith's Ultramag days.
This album is fantastic ( though I have no idea what the artwork is all about), and much better than highly disappointing, later collaboration album between Keith and Kurt "Diesel Truckers".

The Sun Rises in the East
The Sun Rises in the East
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars My Mind Spray, 28 Jun. 2005
First introduced to the hip-hop nation on Gang Starr's "Speak Ya Clout", Jeru agains hooks up with DJ Premier for his debut album. This album is fantastic Premier creates beats perfectly suited for Jeru's wordy intellectual rhymes, the huge single "Come Clean" dominates this album, but every other track is equally as good. My personal favourite being "Jungle Music" in which Jeru discusses the situation of rap music in the United States. Whilst I prefer his second album, most would argue that this is his best work, and to be honest it is tough too choose (buy both then you wont have too! lol). It's got Jeru and it's got Premo, it was never going to be bad was it, and even now over ten years later, the album still slams from start to finish.

Page: 1 | 2