Profile for Mrs. A. C. Franklyn > Reviews

Content by Mrs. A. C. Fra...

Mrs. A. C. Franklyn "Beadgarden.co.uk" (Hampshire, UK)

Becky Goldsmith & Linda Jenkins Teach You To Applique The Piece O' Cake Way [DVD]
Offered by Side Two

1.0 out of 5 stars No piece o' cake, 5 Jun. 2010
Boring and long winded. The piece o' cake way is the most complicated method I have seen and you need loads of supplies that aren't easily available in the UK. Also the presenters talk really slowly as if talking to people who have never picked up a needle before and if you think that is good because you are a beginnner I will warn you that you will get very bored. I still haven't watched this all the way through.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 11:05 PM BST

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off
by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

2.0 out of 5 stars enough already, 18 Oct. 2009
Not as good as one of her early books. Funny in parts but getting a bit old now.

Monk Seasons 1-6 [DVD]
Monk Seasons 1-6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tony Shalhoub

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but poor quality, 18 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Monk Seasons 1-6 [DVD] (DVD)
If I was just reviewing Monk the series I would definitely give it 5 stars and recommend it to all. I love it. However, this box set is very basic - there is no information on the box or dvd covers, they are just plain black. There is no list of episodes or any information about them or the series. Also, there are a few glitches in the quality of some of the early episodes, not many but they are noticable. It doesn't really effect the enjoyment and they are still watchable.
I am very pleased to be able to catch up on episodes that I have missed or forgotten for such a low price and because of this I would recomment this set if you do not mind it being so basic. For me it is better than paying a fortune for each series and I was able to download an episodes list on wikipedia.
There are some extra features on the dvds, which are good to watch.
Good value, but basic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2009 3:50 PM GMT

An Introduction To Patchwork [DVD] [2007]
An Introduction To Patchwork [DVD] [2007]

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 29 Mar. 2007
I was really looking forward to seeing this as there are very few craft dvds out there, particularly patchwork. I am so glad I only rented it and didn't buy it.

The naration is patronising and boring.

The demonstrator lacks even a beginner's skill - its really poor. Her stitches are clumsy and ugly. Plus, there are many errors, particularly on the log cabin sample where the numbering is way off and sewing it in that order is impossible. This dvd will teach patchworkers nothing and will teach beginners bad habits and shoddy methods.

Also, the information is very basic. Save yourself time and money, watch something else. Not worth 1 star.

Sorry, but I hated it!

An Introduction To Quilting [DVD] [2007]
An Introduction To Quilting [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Documentary
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Rent but don't buy, 29 Mar. 2007
I was really looking forward to seeing this as there are very few craft dvds out there, particukarly quilting. I am so glad I only rented it and didn't buy it.

The naration is dull, dull, dull! The demonstrator lacks even a beginner's skill - its really poor. Her stitches are clumsy and ugly, enough to put you off quilts, or make you feel great about your own work. The information is very basic. Save yourself time and money, watch something else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2011 10:29 PM GMT

The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing Painting Spinning Designing Knitting
The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing Painting Spinning Designing Knitting
by Lynne Vogel

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, loved it!, 6 Nov. 2006
I bought this book about 3 years ago and if I could keep only 1 of my craft books, I'd choose this one.

It covers dyeing (synthetic & kool aid), spinning (mostly spindle), and of course sock knitting. I found the book inspirational and an easy read.

You don't need to dye or spin your own yarn, but as a spinner I was able to use my spinning for something really useful - without having to spin miles of yarn. I used to think that shop yarn must be better than mine because it was from a shop! I had lots of my own spinning around the house, unused, and I felt very guilty. Now when I spin I know that I will use the yarn - and it is every bit as good as "proper" yarn.

This book also introduced me to dyeing - great fun. I now only ever buy white wool and dye my own (a lot cheaper and you get what you want, usually).

Since buying this book about 3 years ago I am not afraid of using 4 or 5 needles (the book uses 5). Infact, I have taken to knitting sweaters and hats on 4 or 5 needles now.

This book has given me the confidence to know that "handmade" is not just "homemade".

Buy this book!

Stash Envy
Stash Envy
by Lisa Boyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 9 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Stash Envy (Paperback)
Every bit as funny as her other book. I hope she writes more.

That Dorky Homemade Look
That Dorky Homemade Look
by Lisa Boyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light-hearted read, 9 Aug. 2006
This is a really good feel-good book. I even read it while in early labour! I kept reading bits out to my husband - bits he could relate to, about the strange behaviour of "crafty" people.

My only complaint - I wish it was a longer book, I could have read more. I also recommend her other book Stash Envy.