Profile for Emily > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Bronte in Love
Bronte in Love
by Sarah Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written biography of Charlotte Bronte, 26 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Bronte in Love (Hardcover)
Both myself and my mum found this book a fascinating read. Sarah Freeman's style is very easy to read, and despite the title, this is not a soppy love story account of how many boyfriends Charlotte had. It's a really interesting description of her road to becoming a published novelist, her relationships with her other sisters, Emily and Anne, with a little bit of her marriage proposals and turn downs. This book gives a fascinating insight into Charlotte's tragic life, in a time of desperation for her, when all she wanted was to have a published book and to be loved. Anyone who has read her novels should definately give this a try to learn more about this amazing writer.

Year Of The Wolf
Year Of The Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerina's breakthrough she deserves!, 17 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Year Of The Wolf (Audio CD)
After having a bit of an "up and down" music career, I think Nerina has been very successful with her fourth album. Sometimes I think people can be quick to judge, as you do have to let a couple of the songs grow on you, but some, like "Put your hands up" and "Turn me on again" are instant winners. The beautiful melodies in "Butterfly" and gentle approach with just her on a Piano in "History Boys" are also fab. Now I want to look into her music further, and may even consider buying her other albums in full. Last time I checked, "Year of the wolf" was doing very well in the album charts and I should also point out that Nerina is amazing live, she is very musically talented and has an absoloutely bonkers personality! Overall, I would highly recommend this album for new fans of Nerina, to give her the popularity she deserves.

At My Mother's Knee ...
At My Mother's Knee ...
by Paul O'Grady

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, sad and absoloutely hilarious!, 15 Jun. 2011
Bought this for my dad's birthday in 2008 but read it before I gave it to him! I've always loved Paul's shows like his no longer existant channel 4 show, and regularly listen to him on the radio on sunday nights. This book is not a disappointment. I love Paul's recollections of his childhood, his mother and his eccentric aunties. The photos in the middle are funny, and the book finishes nicely on a cliff hanger, where at age 18, Paul finds out he's going to be a father. Overall, a very entertaining read, but O'Grady fans expecting an account of Paul's life as Lily Savage will be disappointed. However, there are more drag queens mentioned in this than you could ever imagine! Would recommend to any fan of Paul, and I can also recommend his second book, which is equally as good.

Edexcel GCE History AS Unit 2 E2 Mass Media, Popular Culture and Social Change in Britain Since 1945
by Stuart Clayton

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, but not to be relied on, 3 Jun. 2011
I was one of only a few people in my AS level History class who purchased this (everyone else obviously couldn't be bothered or thought it too expesive!) and found it gives a good coverage of all the aspects of mass media, popular culture and social change in britain since 1945, but this shouldn't be relied upon too much for studying, as our lecturer gave us photocopies of this book as additional notes more for reading only, than as exercises. I didn't do a single one of the practice questions, as again our lecturer gave us some to do anyway, and some of the sections I needed help on the most were only covered in a vague way. Overall, it's worth flicking through as a quick reference book for checking knowledge, but not sure it's worth the money.

Louis Philippe Solid Mahogany 4 Drawer Coffee Table
Louis Philippe Solid Mahogany 4 Drawer Coffee Table

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality solid mahogany coffee table, 3 Jun. 2011
Unlike the previous reviewer, our table did not arrive early, in fact it came a couple of weeks later than the dispatch estimate, resulting in us contacting the company, and altogether a month after we ordered it, but this table is good value for money, as it's solid mahogany, and has a slight rose hint to the wood, blending in perfectly with our rosewood fireplace and other furniture items. It is quite large, bigger than we expected, (there are no dimensions in the product details so we took a guess on the measurements) but the 2 drawers on both sides are useful and give a "treasure chest" effect. Overall, quite pleased with the table itself, but not the delivery.

Burgmüller: 25 Easy and Progressive Studies, Op.100 (Piano Solo)
Burgmüller: 25 Easy and Progressive Studies, Op.100 (Piano Solo)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab selection of Burgmuller studies!, 3 Jun. 2011
I must admit, I'd never actually heard of J.F.Burgmuller before my Piano teacher introduced me to his work, after saying her mother had played his pieces continually. She bought me this book, and I'm very impressed. On the front cover, this book states the studies are progressive, which they are, and they vary in difficulty, I'd say roughly grades 4-5, as I'm just beginning grade 5 work. I think his style will suit Chopin fans, as he frequently uses ornaments and scales in his pieces. Although I haven't learned all of them yet, these studies provide a varied selection of Burgmuller's works. Would highly recommend.

Paint By DS (Nintendo DS)
Paint By DS (Nintendo DS)
Offered by CD DIXIE

1.0 out of 5 stars An insult to Art, 7 May 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Anyone who is really good at Art will know that a Nintendo DS game will not be anything like the real thing. I agree with many other reviews that you'd be better off buying your own paint set and having a go. Not only is it impossible to create a good image on this, due to the rubbish colour mixing tools, but you are expected to recreate the original image to the standard of Leonardo Da Vinci using a Nintendo stylus and a limited range of colours, which is practically impossible. Without trying to sound big headed here, I got an A for Art at GCSE, and it told me my "painting" skills were like that of a small child, and gave me 1 out of 5! Rude! This game is a complete waste of money, bought mine from GAME and it went back not long after purchase.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars TAP, TAP, TAP, FLICK!!!, 7 May 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is so good! Not only does it test your ability to tap in time to a beat, but it tests how good you are on off beats, at holding down and waiting before tapping to the beat and loads more! The characters in each game are really funny (especially the singing frog in frog hop)and the music that you tap to is really catchy to get you going. You occasionally have to try for a "perfect" which means getting through a whole game without making 1 mistake... these are harder to get that you may expect. If you get a perfect you are rewarded with something, be it some music to listen to in the cafe, (a place where you can chat to the barista for advice) or something to read. There are also little "music toys" to unlock which are like mini games. Obviously some of the games are easier than others, and one of them involves rocking out with a little cartoon man on an electric guitar! Whether you have rhythm or not, you're bound to by the time you've completed this!

It's Easy to Play Chopin
It's Easy to Play Chopin
by Daniel Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Chopin fans!, 2 May 2011
I think this book is a great selection of Chopin's pieces. I would say the grade equivalent is roughly grade 3, so they're not too difficult. Obviously, some of the pieces have been simplified to make them easier, so they may sound slightly different to the original, but for people wanting some "easy" Chopin to play, this is great!

Charlotte Bronte/Jane Eyre (Smythe Sewn Classics)
Charlotte Bronte/Jane Eyre (Smythe Sewn Classics)
by Paperblanks Book Co
Edition: Stationery

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this notebook!, 1 May 2011
At first I thought Amazon didn't sell this Charlotte Bronte notebook made by paperblanks. Also, I don't know why they only show the back of the book, as the front is much more decorative. There is an extract from Bronte's "Jane Eyre" written in her handwriting on the front, with a magnetic flap displaying Charlotte's signature. As with all paperblanks, this book comes complete with a section at the back to display keepsakes or important papers. This is a must have for Bronte fans and writers alike. I should also say the deep red colour is gorgeous, adding to the theme of making it look old and worn.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7