Profile for Emily > Reviews

Aroma Home Hot Hugs Microwavable Warmer - Rabbit
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT
Price: 23.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute fab warmer, 7 Sep 2011
I'm mad on rabbits, and although these look like they're for kids ( as the previous reviewer's was) I'm in my late teens and couldn't care less, got this for the really cold nights and this is perfect. So soft and cute, the lavendar and chamomile smell is lovely when it's not even warmed up, and the product is a nice size and quite weighty! Overall, I love this bunny and would highly recommend.

Aroma Home Screen Wipe - Giraffe
Aroma Home Screen Wipe - Giraffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab screen wipe!, 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Aroma Home Screen Wipe - Giraffe
Arrived today, and am really pleased! This works a treat on laptops, and rests easily on the top of the screen. Really cute and soft, I'm thinking of trying it on my iPod and nintendo DS. Great for anyone who loves giraffes! Mine doesn't really smell of lemon, but that doesn't really bother me!

Sharpie Permanent Marker Fine Tip 1.0mm Line Assorted Ref S0811080
Sharpie Permanent Marker Fine Tip 1.0mm Line Assorted Ref S0811080
Offered by AbbeyShake
Price: 6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant pens!, 31 Aug 2011
Bought these for my Art in general, and they're fab. The variety of colours is great (black especially comes in handy for loads of stuff) and the thickness of them is just right, not too fat or thin. It should be noted however, that they do have quite a strong odour when used heavily, and the ink soaks through the paper a little, but they give a good quality finish to my drawings, so I can't complain.

Miranda Hart's Joke Shop (BBC Audio)
Miranda Hart's Joke Shop (BBC Audio)
by Miranda Hart
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 9.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Miranda, but very similar to series 1, 22 July 2011
Bought this as a birthday present to myself, and though I love Miranda's humour, I've already watched series 1 and 2 of the TV sitcom, and expected an earlier work (and radio show) to be different material. But having listened to all the episodes, they are virtually exactly the same as the series 1 episodes. Miranda uses the exact same jokes, so it's like listening to series 1 but without being able to watch it. However, because I find Miranda so funny, I can listen to it and not get fed up, it's just I was expecting something different. Also, it should be noted that the cast members are exactly the same in this, apart from the voices of Tilly and Clive, and Gary is refered to as Gary Rutt rather than Gary Preston like he is on the TV series.

Memory 2 Go - USB flash drive - 4 GB - USB 2.0
Memory 2 Go - USB flash drive - 4 GB - USB 2.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good memory stick, 17 July 2011
Ordered this as a replacement for a lost memory stick, and thought I'd give this a go. My previous one was only a 2gb, so the luxury of having twice the space is great! I've been able to drag and drop files onto it easily, and even some high memory videos of a concert for my friend, which I was previously unable to give to him. It looks great, and with the "swivel" style, there's no worry about losing the daft little cap off the end like last time round!

Amethyst iPig iPod Speaker Dock - Pink
Amethyst iPig iPod Speaker Dock - Pink
Offered by DiscountDiscs
Price: 37.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my iPig!, 17 July 2011
Fell in love with this cute little pig after reading so many good reviews of it. Got it for my birthday and I'm thrilled to bits with it. The sound quality is excellent, and can fill a whole room! The remote control is easy to use and the treble and bass can be altered. Amethyst also supplied the piggy with all the adaptors and cables it needs (including a UK plug becuase there is also a 2 pin plug provided) and I didn't even need the instructions to get it going! Just plugged it in, swtiched it on, put my iPod 4th gen in and off it went! The volume is controlled by lightly tapping the ears or using the remote, and its little mouth lights up green. It's a nice size with quite a weight to it too. Do not be put off this, with its novelty looks. Thought my dad might be sceptical but when I showed it him, even he was impressed!

Victorian Pharmacy Remedies and Recipes
Victorian Pharmacy Remedies and Recipes
by Jane Eastoe
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought back memories of GCSE History!, 17 July 2011
Last year I was studying GCSE medicine through time, and this brought back plenty of memories! Although the title suggests this book is all about medicine in the victorian era, there are mentions of Hippocrates' four humours theory, purging and bleeding, the Chloroform discovery, Edward Jenner, Chadwick's sanitary report etc. There are many amusing cartoons and articles by George Cruikshank, the famous artist of the time, and one of the images was used in my History exam. I was expecting this book to be more like a diary of the TV series, but the photos of the cast on the front are about as much as you see from them, although Ruth Goodman does write the introduction. The recipes are interesting, although almost impossible to actually make, because some of the ingredients probably no longer exist! Overall, a thoroughly interesting read into the victorian pharmacy. This is my kind of history!

M-Wave Universal Quick Release Drinks Bottle Cage - Black
M-Wave Universal Quick Release Drinks Bottle Cage - Black
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful item!, 6 July 2011
Although I don't go cycling regularly, a bottle holder is something I've been meaning to get. This works perfectly. You can choose to either screw it onto the underside of the bike, or attach to the handlebars (which is what I did). It must be noted that it doesn't come with instructions, but it's a fairly straightforward thing to use. The clip simply opens by twisting the clamp round and round to adjust to the thickness of the handlebars. The part where the bottle sits does not ajust, so will only fit average sized water bottles. Overall, I would highly recommend this to anyone with a bike! The delivery was also very quick - came within 2 days of ordering.

Helplessness Blues
Helplessness Blues
Price: 6.76

5.0 out of 5 stars My dad loves it!, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: Helplessness Blues (Audio CD)
Bought this for my dad for father's day, as he has the Fleet Foxes' first album, and he thinks this second album is even better than their debut. The songs all flow into each other nicely, and the harmonies the Fleet Foxes create is very unique, giving them an interesting sound. Would recommend on behalf of my dad to other Fleet Foxes fans!

South Riding (VMC)
South Riding (VMC)
by Winifred Holtby
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing tale of a Yorkshire community, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: South Riding (VMC) (Paperback)
I purchased my copy of South Riding after watching the BBC adaptation on TV. The book is even better, as it features characters that aren't even mentioned in the Drama. Winifred Holtby's writing style is very easy to read, her skills at describing the scenery around her are brilliant, she manages to create a great sense of the surroundings.

The main focus of the book is about new Kiplington High school for girls headmistress Sarah Burton, as she comes to terms with how to make the girls at the school see their full potential, and believe in themselves. One girl in particular, Lydia Holly, needs Sarah's help more than the rest, as her education is sacrificed when her mother dies in childbirth, meaning she must rear her other six brothers and sisters with her father.

Another girl at the school, Midge Carne is the opposite of Lydia Holly, who lives in poverty in the "shacks", railway carriages near the cliffs. Midge is the daughter of the wealthy farmer and alderman Robert Carne, who is in massive debt, and also struggling to care for his mentally ill wife Muriel.

This is where these characters become linked. Sarah starts to fall in love with Robert Carne, but when she discovers his ill health, tragedy strikes and Sarah faces a great loss. Meanwhile, less prominent characters such as the hillarious counciller Huggins (and part time preacher) finds he has an illegitimate child with local girl Bessy Warbuckle, and he faces the problem of keeping it from his wife. Land lord and lady of the local pub Tom and Lily Sawdon face a depressing future when Lily discovers she has terminal cancer.

Overall, this book can only be described as a "compelling read". Holtby captures the scenario of a yorkshire community on the brink of disaster, as leame ferry waste threaten to build on land that people rely on for a living. The way all the characters link together is what makes this story, and I would highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7