ARRAY(0xaf6e0d68)

Profile for Dr. J. A. Barker > Reviews

Content by Dr. J. A. Barker

Dr. J. A. Barker "jab!" (UK)

Redeeming Love
Redeeming Love
by Francine Rivers

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure of a book!, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
It took me a while to follow up one of my best friend's recommendations - I borrowed her book and have since bought my own, shared it with members of my youth group and bought it as presents for many of my friends and family.
Based on the story of Hosea from the Old Testament, it is the story of Gods love for his people who constantly turn away from him and try to distance themselves from his love - and yet he pursues them with a forgiving and compassionate love that knows no bounds despite the pain it causes him. It is all told through the love story between a very damaged young girl and a man who knows God and is given God's heart for this woman and shows her how to be loved and how to be free.

This was the first time that I truly understood the book of Hosea and now read it in a whole new light. It has also shown me the outworking of unconditional love and its bitter sweet nature.

Folk could appreciate this book on a number of different levels:
1. A very well written love story that will keep you gripped to the end and wring your heart.
2. A book that can be used as part of a marriage preparation course once the basics have been covered.
2. A book for those asking questions about the nature of God's love for his people.
3. A book for those who have been badly hurt by others and feel dirty or unworthy - a path towards understanding and God's healing.
4. It also looks at human judgements, hypocrisy, forgiveness....

I have now bought many others of Francine's books and find that they all have the same truth, power and page-turning grip, each one looking at different aspects of God's word and with massive messages for us all.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as expected, 19 July 2012
This is the best product Ive ever tried to repell mosquitos and even Scottish midges! It even smells good and I'm not surprised the forces use it. I would recommend it unreservedly.

Who Moved the Stone?
Who Moved the Stone?
by Frank Morison
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Evidence conquors misgivings, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Who Moved the Stone? (Paperback)
The author's quest to find answers echoed my own enquiring journey. Well written logical and compelling, this book will carry you with it and lead you to a place where you will feel more able to make a decision about what you believe for yourself.

The Pregnancy Book
The Pregnancy Book
by Will & Lucinda Van Der Hart
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First class preparation for parenthood, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Pregnancy Book (Paperback)
I bought this book for some good friends expecting their first child. I am told that it was a huge help in the spiritual and emotional preparation for their baby as well as the physical (dealt with very well by a number of other publications). They have told me that they will be recommending it to others.

Wordsmith's Tale, The
Wordsmith's Tale, The
by Stephen Edden

5.0 out of 5 stars A very personal journey, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Wordsmith's Tale, The (Paperback)
I had no idea what to expect from this book and whilst being a fan of historical fiction had never encountered one going back so far in time.
I was impressed that the author managed to engage me in the characters and their story so quickly. The descriptions and narrative felt very authentic and evocative of the time. The characters range from 'survivor', matriarch, quirky, unfortunate, offensive and inspiring; their stories effortlessly leading me on, willing this family of survivors to overcome and conquer the huge obstacles that fate presents them with.
The yarn comes to a natural and inspiring end, leaving the reader thoughtful and hopeful. The narrator of his own story rightly reminds us that part of the key to progressive civilisation is education, something that is easy to forget not everyone in the world can access!

The Shack
The Shack
by Wm Paul Young
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life., 28 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
Wow! I have known God in my life, for many years, but never have I read a book outside the bible that I feel describes God's nature and relationship with creation and mankind as well as The Shack. In an amazingly personal way the key character meets with God in the midst of his anguish, and is transformed and healed in the process.
This is a book for those who already have asked God into their lives, to deepen their understanding and relationship with Him, but even more so for those who have not yet developed one. I laughed and cried as I followed Mack's story - told with a believability and honesty that asks, and answers most peoples most important questions about God.
I have now ordered a pile of books to give to all the people I love.