Profile for hbuchleitner > Reviews

Content by hbuchleitner

"hbuchleitner"

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials)
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials)
by Philip Pullman

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 17 Mar 2004
What can I say, Phillip Pullman, a story writing genius. After reading The Northern Lights, I was eager to read the next in the trilogy. The start of The Subtle Knife was showing the love of this child for his mother; he tries so hard to protect and help her, but deep down we all knew that Will would be destined for greater things. So despite the love for his mother he must leave her. I think this shows just how emotional Phillip Pullman can make his writing. There were parts close to the end of the story that upset me, but if anything I think that shows the true emotion of the writing and it truly does show writing genius. I don't think I've read a story like that or will read a story like that for a long time unless the next installment can prove itself of the sheer power in the writing of The Subtle Knife.
By Maurice buchleitner Age 10

Life for Rent
Life for Rent
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Still unique and personal, 6 Mar 2004
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
Dear Dido and shoppers.
Congratulations and well done are hardly worthy words of an amazing follow up to your first album, which was such an oasis in an otherwise overwhelmingly commercial market, leaving little room for the individual artist. It is not just the voice, lyrics or musical accompagniment - it is the combination. And may I say, it works for very few, but for you it really does.
In my humble opinion, it was absolutely right to continue along the same vein as "No Angel". Many of us are tired of hearing, or should I say subjected to, the efforts of marketeers, the rollercoaster approach of seeking the holy grail, forever changing the formula to see what can generate the next hit.
I get the distinct feeling you write for yourself, and express what you feel, always with a very strong link to something from your own life. Whether we like it or not, this creates a uniqueness, so rare today.
I hear critics urge you to change, spend the money, dress the part of a successful artist, behave like the rest. I really hope you don't, there are enough people doing just that - boring, predictable, unsophisticated in all its falseness and pretense.
"White flag" and "life for rent" have been widely played on the radio, but why have excellent songs like "who makes you feel" and "sand in my shoes" been relatively rarely played. These are brilliantly written and performed, absolutely true to the first album's style of fairly slow but intensely rythmic as well as atmospheric. The album in fact creates an ambience only a few seconds into the first grooves.
There are few albums I treasure, which are so closely linked to an individual, who they are and what they stand for. I see honesty and integrity here. Pure in so many ways.
If you as a shopper have not yet heard or experienced the pleasure of this young artist, there is hardly a better place to start than here. I wish there were many more like you Dido, music overall might become just that bit more pleasant, and not as often happens, end up in some sort of assault on your senses, political or otherwise views. This album is not reflecting a dark side, merely the many facets of the lives we live. And finally, should there be audiophiles amongst you, this album is superbly produced, enabling top class sound reproduction. Brilliant work.

Smokey And The Bandit [DVD]
Smokey And The Bandit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Burt Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Gleason!, 18 Feb 2004
This review is from: Smokey And The Bandit [DVD] (DVD)
Well, what can I say about Sheriff Buford T. Justice other than the brilliance of a man through the smallest little moves,sound, look in his eye. Had it not been for the Sheriff, this film would have absolutely no value to me. It can be watched again and again, discovering yet more little gems in there. Yes, it is not exactly an "A" class film, but that's not relevant here. I have had hours of entertainment with both family and friends, laughing at little things the Sheriff said or did. Take another look at the scene in the bar, where the Sheriff and Bandit actually come face to face, or how the Sheriff introduces himself to the film, when he addresses 3 kids about to steal a car. Priceless humour.

Sissel
Sissel

2.0 out of 5 stars Plain sound, 18 Feb 2004
This review is from: Sissel (Audio CD)
This CD contains a number of the songs from the "All Good Things" album. I bought it to supplement my collection of Sissel tracks, but was very disappointed with the different singing style of Sissel, and the basic and tame sound quality of the, I suspect american producers - looks like a recording in NY. It is an almost country and western style sound, which in my ears is much inferior to what the norweigan producers managed on the "All Good Things" album, which is stunning in terms of Sissel's singing precision and nerve, but also an astoundingingly rich accoustic sound, with depth, width and yet accuracy. It is virtually 3 dimensional.
If you like something that sounds good and where you can feel and hear the artist singing from her heart, and where you can hear the producers achieving such a feat too, the "US Import" album is not the one for your. You need the "All Good Things" album, which by the way in my mind is one the best produced albums in recent years.

Single Factor
Single Factor
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Forget the detail, 6 Jan 2004
This review is from: Single Factor (Audio CD)
Much can be said about the music and lyrics and who plays what, but sit back in a quiet place, turn up the volume and listen to the track "Heroes". Enjoy the sound and accoustic depth. It will touch something in most of us, and that is what enjoyment of music is all about.