Profile for David Williams > Reviews

Peter Zumthor: Buildings and Projects 1985-2013
by Thomas Durisch
Price: 117.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Beautiful, Though Expensive, Monograph., 2 April 2014
I pre-ordered this book months ago, and it arrived this week, having just been released. My first impression was surprise, as it's in 5 volumes, at the time i ordered amazon were only showing 1 book!
Unfortunately my second impression was disappointment, as the cardboard sleeve that holds the 5 volumes was in very bad condition, crumpled at the edges and ripped open in two places at the back. 5 People I know have since received their copies, and all have unfortunately been torn - and honestly this is a disappointment.

However, if you accept that the cardboard sleeve isn't going to last, then the books themselves are beautifully covered in linen and feel sturdy.

As for the content, the books are chronological, each dealing with a different part of Peter Zumthor's career, in total covering all of his projects - both built and unbuilt - since 1985. Each project has a short piece written by Zumthor, reflecting on how the project came about, his memories of it, and the key architectural ideas they represent. It's quite candid and really very nicely written.

Architecturally, the drawings and photographs are all exactly as stunning as you would expect. The early projects include many beautiful hand-drafted drawings, there are many sketches, models, and very nice computer drawings. Some projects aren't fully explained but you do get a great sense of each and every one.

I pre-ordered it for a much lower price than the 175 it's currently selling at, and I'm not sure I could recommend it for such a high price, but if money is no object then go for it, I'm thrilled to have it in my collection.