Profile for rob1100 > Reviews

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars We Know Nothing!!, 4 Jan 2005
Mr Bryson, please step forward and take a bow. It is indeed well deserved for this riveting piece of work. I received this book as a kind of hinted at christmas present and was delighted to find it under the tree on xmas morning, which is roughly when i started reading it. I should point out that my wife and kids didnt enjoy it one iota, (molecule, atom, nucleus..etc), this was due to the fact that I spent the rest of the holiday period with my head stuck betwteen the pages - I couldnt put it down.
What we have here is a true gem that will and undoubtedly has received praise from Joe Public to Dr Joe the Scientist. It covers such a vast array of subjects relating our third rock from the sun and condenses, seives, blends and extracts from these a thouroughly readable narrative that will have you page turning to the end where you will no doubt begin again. What strikes me most from the book is that all in all WE KNOW NOT A LOT about the earth, space, ourselves, our past and pretty much all else in between. The book should really be called 'A Short History of Nearly Everything We Dont Know'. But dont lose heart from this as this book is still packed with awe inspiring information about the world as we know it - I urge anyone with an interest in anything to read it - very very good book.
PS. I would like it revised in about 10 years please Mr Bryson for the sake of my young kids. Educational reading at its most digestible.

Alexander: The Virtues Of War
Alexander: The Virtues Of War
by Steven Pressfield

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting introduction to Alexander, 31 Oct 2004
I have just finished the book less than half an hour ago and as I was on the computer I decided the first thing to do was to leave a review..
When I bought it I wasnt expecting it to be as told through the eyes of Alexander himself and my first feeling was dis-appointment if i'm honest - not normally my cup of tea for historical books such as this, however..., when into it I couldnt help hanging on Alexanders words and awaiting his thoughts on Battles or his men or indeed his many enemies (or future commrades) as he preferred.
The book runs at a very nice speed and I had a real feeling of involvement with the action and emotion omitted throughout this epic journey of men.
To read Alexander in this book is to find a man each reader will take something from, truly an inspiration in his time and I would imagine in this time also so was his undefeatable 'daimon'.
I know a month from now that I will go an d see the movie Alexander starring Colin Farell - and I look forward to seeing what I have just read, although I worry if not expect it may let me down in comparison.
Enjoy!

Free Lunch: Easily Digestible Economics
Free Lunch: Easily Digestible Economics
by David Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Something to think about.., 11 Sep 2003
As someone with no academic education in economics but with a growing interest in my economy and how it affects me I thought this book served rather well for me. The author's style of writing helps reduce the frown from your forehead that comes from this type of subject and I was happy enough with the wider knowledge I gained from it that I will probably purchase another author on the subject to see where this takes me. For newcomers to the subject at the very least looking to better understand the politcal/economic gibberish you here in the media these days then you will not go far wrong with this book. I recommend it.