Profile for Derob Ecnirp > Reviews

Dances with Wolves
Dances with Wolves
by Michael Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Dances with Wolves (Paperback)
If you like the film: Dances With Wolves [1991] [DVD] you will love the book, one of the best books I've read in a long time, the book brought sadness, joy, meaning and humour together.
Certainly a thought provoking read, but also a enjoyable one, you will not regret buying this book.

Casio Men's Combi watch
Casio Men's Combi watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for watersports and everyday, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's Combi watch (Watch)
A brilliant watch, it does have a couple of minor faults, as others have mentioned the curved face is open to scratching, and the strap to breaking, however, these factors are thrown into minority by the positive points: the watch is great for sailors, it has a good count down feature sure to improve ones race starts, and having both analog and digital display means regardless of ones preference the time can easily and quickly be obtained during sport.
As well as being great for sailing and other water sports the watch it is also suitable for everyday life, it is stylish and (save for the strap) durable.
Also, the watch has five alarms, a big bonus in my book.
All in all a good value 5 star watch, I thoroughly recommend it.

Hexwood
Hexwood
by Diana Wynne Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, confusing and brilliant, 10 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
As other reviewers have said, this book is magical, and slightly (i.e. very) confusing. But Diana Wynne Jones has once again got me hooked. I won't say anything else about this book except buy it. Or, if you're looking for a lighter read, go for Power of Three also by Diana Wynne Jones.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was led to believe, 10 Oct. 2008
I know that, with the 1000+ reviews this book has, this review is pretty pointless. But, for reasons explained by many other reviewers, I found this book absorbing, and the only thing that kept me turning the pages was so I could back up my arguments :D. I didn't find it to be difficult to tell what was going to happen, which wrecked the mystery element I was told it had. It, quite frankly, is written badly, which ruins it as a thriller. And Dan Brown is constantly adding random snippets of information in the form of flashbacks, something that constantly annoyed me as I didn't really want to hear about the main character teaching a classroom of children about things when I'm reading the "thrilling" bit. Just a bad read and waste of time.

Rebel Dream: Star Wars Legends (the New Jedi Order): Enemy Lines I (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (Paperback))
by Aaron Allston

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read with brilliant plot, 27 Jun. 2008
Up to the standard of Traitor, through I personally prefer Traitor. An excellent read, great to see the Republic (a.k.a Rouge Sqaudron) doing something at last, Aaron Allston is one of/the best Star Wars writer, he is especially good with space battles and humour, both of which play a large part in this book. Excellent read (yes I know I'm repeating myself) with brilliant plot. A definite five star.

Agents of Chaos I  Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order)
Agents of Chaos I Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order)
by James Luceno
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A fairly humorous book yet also emotionally deep, 26 Jun. 2008
Han Solo's back :D, yet you almost want him to go away again, hmm... strange book. Struggling to come to terms with the death of his friend Han "becomes the loner he once was", seeking to bring an old friend to justice Han uncovers a plot much larger plot then what previously seemed to be a simple traitor. A fairly humorous book yet also emotionally deep, exploring the feelings of Han after the death of his long time friend. Great writing that seems impossible to get bored of, one of the best books in the NJO series and almost up to the standard of Traitor. Plus, it's got the best name in the whole series.

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order - Traitor
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order - Traitor
by Matthew Stover

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books in the whole of the NJO series, 26 Jun. 2008
A story in which Jacen Solo's loyalties are questioned and tested. And, in my opinion (which I seem to have a lot of), one of the best books in the whole of the NJO series. Any person reading this book whom doesn't feel even slightly "touched", should get glasses, seriously. One of my friends (not a Star Wars fan) has complained to me about Star Wars being all lasers and explosions, well, he should read this book. The story is a lot quieter then the rest of the series and really makes the reader wonder whoms side they should be on. Brilliant book, increases the standard of the whole series.

Star Wars the New Jedi Order Dark Tide I: Onslaught
Star Wars the New Jedi Order Dark Tide I: Onslaught
by Michael A. Stackpole

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all building up the tension..., 26 Jun. 2008
A very good book, leads on well from Vector Prime and has very good writing in it which kept me hooked :D. I found the parts on Dantooine especially good. The parts with Jacen seemed to be a little dragged out, but I suppose it's all building up the tension, and expanding on Jacen's character, talking of characters there are many Major characters throughout the series, part of the reason I like this book so much is that it doesn't really have a main character, which means you can choose your own. Michael A. Stackpole creates a great atmosphere in which you can almost feel the character's emotions. So, overall, a five star book, the Dark Tide is, in my opinion, among the top books in this series, even though it's still, in a way, part of the introduction, but a series such as this needs a good introduction and it's certainly got one with this and Vector Prime.

Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (Paperback))
Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (Paperback))
by R A Salvatore

4.0 out of 5 stars Five star series, four star book, 26 Jun. 2008
Obviously the series that every Star Wars fan has to read. Looking at the other reviews I see that many people have complained about him killing "one of the main characters", personally I think Salvatore did this in a very good way, "the main character" had to die and I think he died in a very good way and set the series up in a way that made people realise that this series was going to be diffrent: it wasn't going to be "yay, the good guys win" it was going to be "who's going to die in this book?", I liked this new style as I prefer books were I don't know what's going to happen. Of course, if your the kind of person who doesn't want to see all their favourite characters getting killed, then maybe this isn't the series for you. I take one star of for the writing, which seemed to be a little different from the style I like. The series on the whole is, despite some of the books, for me, a five star, exiting, some brilliant authors (part of the reason I think Salvatore isn't properly appreciated) and with many unexpected twists.

Hood: Number 1 in series (King Raven Trilogy)
Hood: Number 1 in series (King Raven Trilogy)
by Stephen Lawhead

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, very original (despite being Robin Hood), 25 Jun. 2008
A very fine read, Rhi Bran (Robin) is a prince, unfortunately he has his lands stolen by Normans, under whom his people suffer. Rhi Bran flees his land to try and get help from the King, he is turned down and once again runs. He attacks Normans he finds ransacking a house, he is wounded and almost dies...

Read the book to find out the rest :P Don't want to ruin it for you. I enjoyed this book immensely, I noticed that other customers have complained about it not being Robin Hood, personally I prefer this new story line and location. One of the things I found very interesting reading this book is the way Stephen R. Lawhead slowly moulds Rhi Bran into the shape of the old Robin Hood, Rhi Bran begins hardly recognisable to Robin, but slowly, as the story unfolds, he becomes more and more like Robin.

Overall a Very good read and well worth the money, I'm currently reading the next book, Scarlet, which is also a very good read but a very diffrent style and, for me, a four star.

Page: 1 | 2