Profile for muz > Reviews

Content by muz

muz "muz" (Swindon, England)

Get Your Zen On
Get Your Zen On
by Dan Manning

4.0 out of 5 stars Demystifying Zen (but enough with the footnotes already!), 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Get Your Zen On (Paperback)
Enjoyed this very much. Such an easy read and not at all "mystical". If you're looking for a way in to Zen then this is a great place to start.

My only criticism would be Dan's somewhat over fond of the footnote: I bought it as a paperback, but in the kindle edition all the footnotes would probably drive you mad as most of them are jokey and non-essential to the message. The message is that there is no message. Or something :-)

March Of The Zapotec / Holland
March Of The Zapotec / Holland

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off..., 28 Feb. 2009
Some reviewers have suggested that the juxtaposition of the very "Beiriuty" Zapotec EP with the bedroom electronica of the Holland release doesn't work. I have to disagree: both are recognisably the work of the insanely talented Zach Condon and whilst I thought they might jar when played one after the other (which is presumably why we're given them as two separate CDs) they actually complement each other rather well. If you liked the previous Beirut releases then I see no reason why you wouldn't take this to your heart just the same.

Philip Glass: Book of Longing
Philip Glass: Book of Longing

5.0 out of 5 stars A Natural Collaboration, 24 Nov. 2007
Ok I'm reviewing this before hearing the CD itself, but that's because I saw them perform this song cycle live at the barbican recently, so I know what I'm talking about!

This is a very natural, easy collaboration, and follows on neatly from Glass' earlier settings of the work of beat poet Allen Ginsberg to music (Hydrogen Jukebox). The occasional appearance of Cohen himself reading some of the shorter pieces complements the four singers nicely, and there's a wonderful counterpoint between the lighter pieces and the darker works like Puppet Time.

Highly recommended.

Instead
Instead

4.0 out of 5 stars Have a Cigar!, 17 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Instead (Audio CD)
I've always loved Claudia's voice, the way it swoops to pick up those low notes never fails to hit me square in the solar plexus, and the years have not dimmed it! I'd agree that there's no killer single here, and lyrically in places it's a bit lazy perhaps, but I can't get the tunes out of my head. And that voice! Claudia could sing my shopping list and I'd be rapt. Can we have a follow up soon please guys?

Closer To Heaven: Original Cast Recording;The New Musical By Pet Shop Boys And
Closer To Heaven: Original Cast Recording;The New Musical By Pet Shop Boys And

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of wonderful creatures..., 8 Oct. 2001
If you saw it, you hopefully don't need to read this review as I'm sure you will want to own this! This is a great souvenir of a truly unique West End experience. The original cast (including Frances Barber as Billie Trix) sing the numbers, from the storming opener "My Night" through to the anthemic "Positive Role Model". The opening is the only disappointment perhaps, as on stage "My Night" was a ten minute or so intro with all the lead characters getting a verse or two, whilst here it appears in a much shortened version and it loses a lot of it's energy as a result. It's a small gripe though, as on the whole these are pretty faithful renditions of the songs.
For those that won't get to see the show before it closes (in just 5 days at the time of writing), the CD on the whole still works pretty well as a collection of songs. And it's all *very* Pet Shop Boys of course...