Profile for phantom midge > Reviews

Content by phantom midge

phantom midge (Scotland)

Biotex Stain Removing Powder 500g (Pack of 4)
Biotex Stain Removing Powder 500g (Pack of 4)
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Best stain remover over 30 years!, 24 Jan. 2016
Outstanding stain removal!! Outperfoms every product on the supermarket shelves. Clear winner in scientific tests and independent reviews. Yet, incredibly, the supermarkets have stopped stocking Biotex in favour of inferior products!! Shows you the power of marketing - the fact that these products are on the shelves instead of Biotex is down to money/deals/endorsements, not product performance. I've been using this for over 30 years and nothing comes close. I just hope and pray Amazon keep stocking it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2016 10:21 AM BST

The Ring of Sky (Young Samurai, Book 8)
The Ring of Sky (Young Samurai, Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 22 May 2014
brilliant book get it. really good ending to the epic series. exciting ending to a wonderful book get it now

Zoo
Zoo
by James Patterson

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Zoo (Hardcover)
Deary me. If this is the thriller James Patterson was "born to write" and surpasses all his other works, I don't think I'll be reading any more books by him. I read "Now You See Her" and, though flawed in different ways (e.g. aspects of the plot too implausible to swallow), it was much better than this. At least I cared about the main character and that compelled me to finish the book. Zoo is a thriller and you can't expect great character development but even though Oz has a wife and child who, along with the rest of the world, are in deadly peril I really couldn't emphahsise with him - or anyone else in the book for that matter. In the first third of ZOO, we're meet a scientist who "three years earlier" was mauled by a gorilla and left with horrific disfigurement. Then five years later, when Oz is married and has a child, we are again told of the scientist with the terrible disfigurement - and we are also told that it happened "three years earlier". Huh? The copy editor must've been having a nap. Also, too many little snapshots of people (we don't know and never meet again) being killed by animals all over the world. One or two instances is enough to give the reader the picture. The rest are just boring - because we can't identify and care about people we don't know. These little scenes felt like padding.

The Lost Daughter
The Lost Daughter
by Diane Chamberlain

2.0 out of 5 stars Far fetched and plodding, 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Lost Daughter (Paperback)
The plot is too far fetched. Hard to emphasise with the heroine. Eve's "voice" is okay for a 16 year old, but it doesn't mature as CeeCee/Eve ages. Much of the dialgue could be edited out. Interesting up until CeeCee becomes Eve and steals the baby, then the middle section plods along, really boring - I skipped most of it. I was hoping the last few chapters would pick up but I'm not going to finish it now. Life too short. No idea where all the good reviews came from. Did they read a different book? Wouldn't try this author again.

Knowledge Of Angels
Knowledge Of Angels
by Jill Paton Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticked all the boxes, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Knowledge Of Angels (Paperback)
Awesome. Beautifully written. I wasn't aware of the author's style intruding in any way in the telling of the story. I was gripped. Read late last night to finish it. Thought-provoking.

The Other Hand
The Other Hand
by Chris Cleave

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
This was recommended to me by a friend who's a reader for the big publishing houses so I had great expectations. Perhaps I expected too much. The plot is good, clever even, and the subject matter of refugees in Britain an interesting one. But all this fuss in the blurb about keeping the ending a secret - what tosh! One of the main problems with the book was the purple prose (cringingly awful at times). After an engaging start Little Bee started to irritate and I could not emphasise at all with Sarah - a big problem when you can't engage with one of only two view point characters. Much of the dialogue was stilted and unrealistic - where was the editor? In the end I skim read the last few chapters just to find out what happened. The editors note at the front of the book puts this book on a par with David's Mitchell's Cloud Atlas and Keneally's Schindler's List. Not in my world. The stunning reviews from papers all over the world (printed at the front of the book) simply astound me. This had the potential to be a really fabulous book - but it just isn't.

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Perplexed, 26 July 2011
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
Sorry, I just didn't get what all the hype is about. A collection of short stories, each in themselves engaging enough, but as a book it did not work for me. The big themes and questions were interesting and Mitchell is a talented writer - but the main problem for me was the inability to enagage fully on an emotional level with any of the characters. I was just getting to know them when off we went plunged into another narraitve, another story, another time. And by the time we came back to them, I'd half forgotten their story.