Profile for Suzy > Reviews

Content by Suzy

Suzy

Page: 1 | 2
Soulspace: Creating a Home That Is Free of Clutter, Full of Beauty, and Inspired by You
by Xorin Balbes
Price: 14.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Dec 2013
At the time of purchase I was decorating my house and hoping to get inspiration to create something tailored for me, rather than practicality. In the past I have looked into Feng Shui principles but this seemed to offer a more practical guide. However the homes which the author works with and discusses in the book are worth millions and the suggestions to implement changes to create your soul space would cost thousands. It did make me think a little more about my use of rooms in the house, but overall I was disappointed and wouldn't recommend.

The Circus Fire
The Circus Fire
by Stewart O'Nan
Price: 9.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating story but technical, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Circus Fire (Paperback)
Having read Paul Benzaquin's Holocaust about the Boston nightclub fire, I was looking forward to this true story of the fire that swept through an outdoor circus tent filled with families and performers. It was truly a tragedy and whilst the book was fascinating and detailed in its account, the narrative did not flow well. There were lots of names and technical detail so at times, it became difficult to follow what was happening to whom. What Paul did in his book was focus on fewer people, but Stewart tries to tell the story from several angles....the circus people, the crowd and the rescue services. I would recommend this book from a historical point of view but it was a difficult read.

HOYA DFK52 (UV, PLC, ND) Filter Kit - 52 mm
HOYA DFK52 (UV, PLC, ND) Filter Kit - 52 mm
Offered by CameraKing
Price: 31.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, good price, 7 Dec 2013
As an amateur photographer I didn't want to spend a fortune on filters which would only be used occasionally. I have found these to be easy to use- they screw onto the lens, and you can stack them....putting two filters on together. I use the UV filter as a permanent protector and took some great shots of waterfalls with the ND filter, although I also purchased an additional ND filter to get maximum opportunity in different light levels. The pouch is useful but doesn't hold them in well and so you need to lay it on a flat surface before opening to prevent the filters sliding out. Overall a useful and good value product.

Olive Wood Chunky Little Chopping, Cheese, Cutting Board - 21cm x 15cm x 2cm
Olive Wood Chunky Little Chopping, Cheese, Cutting Board - 21cm x 15cm x 2cm
Offered by Olivenholz erleben
Price: 7.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice board, 7 Dec 2013
I actually had two boards...one with the rustic edge as a present and this one for me. I do prefer the rustic edged version as the irregularity of the shape is appealing, but the colouring of this board was lovely, exactly like the picture. Delivery was prompt and postage costs reasonable. Quality seems okay although there is a small hole caused by a knot in the wood so I hope that does not deteriorate over time. Overall pleased with the board.

Rustic Olive Wood Chopping, Cheese, Cutting Board - 20cm x 15cm x 2cm
Rustic Olive Wood Chopping, Cheese, Cutting Board - 20cm x 15cm x 2cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely board, 7 Dec 2013
Bought as a present so can't comment on durability but delivery was prompt, quality good and postage charges were fair. The natural edge is a nice feature and it nice looking.

Easy Does It
Easy Does It
Price: 14.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Easy Does It (Audio CD)
Found this guy whilst searching online and decided to buy the bargain CD which I have enjoyed immensely. Easy listening country style that sticks with you. Would recommend.

The Advent Killer (Antonia Hawkins 1)
The Advent Killer (Antonia Hawkins 1)
by (Crime fiction writer) Alastair Gunn
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written easy read, 7 Dec 2013
I would rate this book 3.5 stars. I found it to be a good crime drama in an easy-to-read style with short chapters. Unusually the reader gets brief glimpses into the killer's point of view, although mostly we follow action from the central character - a newly promoted DCI. For me it wasn't a page turner and I felt this storyline had been done before. The female DCI won't follow the rules, has love tangles, thinks she knows how to catch the killer, almost get kicks off the case and becomes a target herself. I also found that it was easy to guess who the killer was fairly early on in the novel. However I did enjoy it as a quick read and would read something by this author in the future. A good first novel. I must also mention I received the book free via Goodreads.

Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 (Retail Packaging)
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera and microphone, 27 May 2013
As I've never had a webcam before I have nothing to compare this to. I purchased it to use Skype and have found the camera and microphone to be good quality. The microphone is incorporated into the webcam and I am told the sound is clear when using Skye, even though I sit two feet away from the microphone. The picture is clear and of good quality compared to other webcam images I have seen. It fits on the top of my screen and angles all ways. It has a USB cable which connects to the front of my base-unit. It's not ideal having the cable connected all the time as it gets in the way,but that's the design of the PC unit and most connections now appear at the front of PC base units.

Kenwood FP731 Multi Pro Food Processor
Kenwood FP731 Multi Pro Food Processor
Offered by royswroxhamltd
Price: 109.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good multi-purpose machine, 27 May 2013
I purchased this product to replace a mini processor which was an add-on to my electronic hand whisk/blender. I'd basically outgrown the mini processor and needed something better. I've been pleased with this product. It's all made of plastic and light weight. There's a cord storage in the back which is really useful and the processor has not had any problems with chopping, blending or making breadcrumbs etc. I've not tried the dough tool for bread-making yet. The main bowl has an excellent capacity and it is easy to fit into the base. I have had no problems with the lid as some other reviews suggest. I have used the mini bowl and the main bowl and both are good except food in the mini-bowl spills over into the main bowl (this was whilst making breadcrumbs). It isn't a big deal, just a pain to have to clean both bowls when I was only using one. I have used the shredding tool for grating and found it easy to use except the last bit of veg usually slips through un-grated which is a bit wasteful. This might improve with practice. It's all fairly easy to clean although I've not tried it in a dishwasher yet as I tend to hand wash everything after baking.

Knitting Basics
Knitting Basics
by Melody Lord
Price: 16.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Beginners, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: Knitting Basics (Paperback)
I purchsed a couple of 'how to knit' books, having decided to take up knitting after many years away from it. Although there are many online resources available, I found this book useful. The illustrations are large and easy to follow and there is a good stitch library once you work your way up from basic knit and purl. There is also a nice section on how to stich the final piece - an area I found lacking in some other books. With sections and tips on troubleshooting when you drop a stitch and unpicking rows, I have found it easy to use and would recommend this - together with the Ultimate Knitting Bible which does the same job, but this book has a better stitch library in it. It would make a lovely gift for someone just starting out with knitting.

Page: 1 | 2