Profile for Jonathon Lovick > Reviews

Jonathon Lovick (UK)

Philips NP3900 Streamium Network Music Player
Philips NP3900 Streamium Network Music Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong power lead & a bit rubbish anyway, 2 Feb 2012
I bought this item in the hope that the issues with the power leads would have been resolved. It appears that hope was not enough. A 240V 'figure of eight' power lead does not fit into a 12V 3A DC socket in the back of music player. At the moment I am in two minds whether to return it to Amazon and hope that the replacement has the correct power lead, or spend more money and get a correct power lead myself from somehwere like Maplin. When I do finally get the system powered up I will let you know how it goes.
BTW - I phoned up Philips customer services who didn't want to know - and told me to contact Amazon who was my retailer. I pointed out that as the manufacturer the fault lay with them and could they send me the correct power lead direct but it was like talking to a brick wall (albeit a very polite brick wall).
Ended up buying a power lead from Maplin (for £34), powered up Streamium, and in summary I was disapointed with it. Software loaded fine, found my computer and NAS drive fine, but the controller is slow to respond, searching for specific tracks is not that easy (in fact it is frustrating) and varies depending on where the music is saved (computer of NAS drive), and whenever I stopped a track the whole thing just hung until I unplugged it and then restarted it. To be honest the slow response to commands was enough to make me want to return it, even before it started crashing. I think everyone these days is used to slick graphics and instant response like you get from smart phones - but even the streamium controller on my Android seems jerky when I used it.
In the end I have returned it and just bought myself a Sonos Play5, which although I have only had it one day, is already way better than the Streamium (albeit about £100 more). It has all the same features but they all work so much better.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2012 11:44 AM GMT

Supermassive Black Hole
Supermassive Black Hole

5.0 out of 5 stars crackerjack - can't wait for album, 21 Jun 2006
This review is from: Supermassive Black Hole (Audio CD)
Great single - Muse at their best. Can't wait for the new album in a couple of weeks.