Profile for Mr. P. F. Harrison > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. F. Harrison

Mr. P. F. Harrison "finnieston crane" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A History of Venice
A History of Venice
by John Julius Norwich
Price: 16.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A History of Venice John Julius Norwich, 20 July 2014
This review is from: A History of Venice (Paperback)
This is a poor piece of work. JJ Norwich's name has been out there for quite some time as a professional (and even well-thought-of) historian but, on the basis of this book, I don't think he deserves it at all. First of all, he constantly refers to Venice as 'she' ('she' faced this challenge, 'she' drew together these forces, etc.). This style of personifying some abstract, out-there historical entity or presence as a 'character' in a literary drama that's then passed off as history is (a) completely outmoded and (b) dangerously misleading. JJN's idea of history is also very narrow. The book is full of endless minutiae of political and military manoeuvres (the Gonzagas did this, the Papacy did that, then the Visconti issued the following) without any sense of context, most importantly about what was going on in Venice on a more pedestrian level: what was the state of health, how was social life organised, what about the Scuole, the Arsenal.....??? This seems to me to be 19th-century historical writing surviving (amazingly) to be first published in the 1970s. Had he never read Braudel? Buy it if all you want is to check (for example) the ins and outs of Carmagnola's career, but for anything with a broader perspective, go elsewhere.

Black & Decker 18V Lithium-Ion 50cm Hedge Trimmer/ 18mm Blade Gap/ Bale Handle Design
Offered by Tooled-Up
Price: 99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker 18V Lithium-ion 50 cm Hedge Trimmer, 20 July 2014
I bought this because I have about a dozen metres of hedging around my house that needs regular pruning, at least once a year. I tried using an electric trimmer with a cable a few years ago and, to my total frustration, succeeded in accidentally cutting the cable three times in succession. I then went back to using hand shears but, after two years of that, found (a)the work was very slow and tiring and (b)the hedges were becoming more and more ragged. I finally decided I needed to go back to electric shears and my wife (bless her) said, 'I'm sure they make battery-powered ones,' which (of course) 'they' do. I've had a Black & Decker Flymo and grass strimmer that have served me excellently for almost 20 years, which is why I went for a B&D hedge trimmer. It's fantastic! I got round all my hedging in a tenth of the time it took me with shears, and the result is so much neater and more attractive. The bulk of the hedging I have is beech, which can be pretty tough to cut, but this machine just zipped through it. Best of all, the deal with the supplier on this purchase gave me a second battery free, which makes an incredible difference. I've found I'll get an hour's trimming out of one battery, but it then takes the battery a couple of hours to recharge. With two batteries, I simply clip on the charged one when the first needs recharging and just carry on working without a break, Also, really fast delivery with this: I had it within 48 hours of ordering. Totally worth the money!

Tenn-Outdoors Men's Fingerless Cycling Gloves Mitts - Black, Small
Tenn-Outdoors Men's Fingerless Cycling Gloves Mitts - Black, Small
Offered by Tenn Outdoors
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tenn Outdoors Men's fingerless cycling gloves, 24 Jun 2014
I've got a drop-handlebar bike and I find these gloves really helpful for gripping brake levers and gear changers. The palms are cushioned and make a big difference on a long trip. Well made items.

Rubber Factory
Rubber Factory
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Rubber Factory, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Rubber Factory (Audio CD)
This is OK, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 'Brothers.' It's a bit repetitive, and lacks the variety of 'Brothers.'

THG Clip On Polarised Black Driving Fishing Walking Glasses Sunglasses Specs Car Motorcycle Polarised Goggles UV400
Offered by THG LIMITED
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THG clip-on polarised sunglasses, 24 Jun 2014
I wear spectacles all the time. so the clip-ons are essential for me. They clip on easily, and the hinged arrangement is very useful, because it means you can just flip them up when the sun fades, or you go indoors, etc. This is the first pair of polarised sunglasses I've ever had, and I think they're brilliant. I use them for cycling and driving and they're incredibly useful in both situations: I can see much better, especially in bright sunlight, so I feel I'm cycling/driving more safely and effectively.

Altura Airstream LS Jsy - Black/Yellow, Small
Altura Airstream LS Jsy - Black/Yellow, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Altura Airstream LS Jersey, 24 Jun 2014
Jersey arrived promptly and well-packed. I find it very comfortable: warm, if it's a bit chilly, not too hot if it is warm. The small fits me well (I'm 5' 2"), it slips on instantly, no fuss, no buttons. The day-glo strips I consider essential for safety, and they are an important reason that I bought the jersey.

Painting Boats and Coastal Scenery
Painting Boats and Coastal Scenery
by RSMA. Robert Brindley
Price: 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Painting Boats and Coastal Scenery Robert Brindley, 17 July 2013
Like Mr Brindley's companion volume on painting landscapes, this is a first-rate book from which anyone, no matter how experienced an artist, will be able to learn. Lots of step-by-step examples show how to build up different types of painting in an easily understandable way. Terrific.

Painting Landscapes in Oils
Painting Landscapes in Oils
by Robert Brindley
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Painting Landscapes in Oils Robert Brindley, 17 July 2013
This is an excellent book: it is concise, clear and very informative. I am an art school graduate of some vintage, who has continued to paint for longer than I care to remember, yet I think I almost learned more from this book than I did from art school, certainly about painting landscapes. The author has included quite a number of step-by-step examples showing how to build up different types of landscape studies and, if you follow precisely what he says, you will, I think, be well on the way to producing work in your own style that you find satisfying. Even more important, you will be able to build on the system the author outlines and develop it in any number of different ways. First class.

American Vision: Three Generations of Wyeth Art
American Vision: Three Generations of Wyeth Art
by Andrew Wyeth

5.0 out of 5 stars American Vision: Three Generations of Wyeth Art, 9 Jun 2013
If, like me, you're interested in the work of Andrew Wyeth, this book is a real bonus. First, because it shows a lot of Wyeth's work in colour, and second because the quality of reproduction is very high. A third advantage is that it places Andrew's work in the context of his father's, and then his son's, work, all of which are related to one another in fascinating ways. This second-hand copy was in excellent condition, the price was superb value, and delivery was fast. All in all, a great deal.

Franco-Flemish Masterworks
Franco-Flemish Masterworks
Price: 18.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Franco-Flemish Masterworks Hilliard Ensemble, 17 April 2013
This is quite simply a wonderful boxed set f you really like 15th century music. Ockeghem is the great discovery on this one for me: I didn't know his work and it's fantastic. Buy it. Love it. Swoon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5