Profile for John Walker > Reviews

Content by John Walker

John Walker "Johnnie Walker" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Schaum's Outline of Principles of Computer Science (Schaum's Outline Series)
Schaum's Outline of Principles of Computer Science (Schaum's Outline Series)
by Carl Reynolds
Price: 10.31

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading but beware, it's riddled with mistakes., 26 Jun 2014
I did not study Computer Science at university and so this book gave me a broad insight into the kind of knowledge I'd have gained had I done so. On the most part, it's an easy read. The programme of topics are well chosen and I am glad that I have covered them.

However, I would only recommend this book to others for as long as I am unable to find an alternative book that covers the same subjects.

I gave this a low Amazon Review score because I get the impression that the publishers of this book (McGraw-Hill) have been resting on their laurels since it's first publication and needed a kick up the backside.

I don't think anyone at McGraw-Hill has actually read it. Nor, it seems have the authors read it all the way through. Some parts of the book are very sloppy. It feels like no one in charge of this book really cares about it any more.

I am glad that I had read around many of the subjects enough to be able to spot some errors but am left wondering how much misinformation I have absorbed in the areas that were new to me. The fact that the book's cover states that it is 'trusted by more than 40 million students' worries me. Hopefully they have the support of their peers and teachers when they get confused by some of the typos.

Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code (Object Technology Series)
Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code (Object Technology Series)
by Kent Beck
Price: 29.08

5.0 out of 5 stars If your code has turned into a monster, this book is the light at the end of the tunnel., 5 Dec 2013
This is one of my all time favourite books.

It has helped me out on numerous occasions.

Learn How to Study: A Guide for Students of All Ages
Learn How to Study: A Guide for Students of All Ages
by Derek Rowntree

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - Every one should read this book. The earlier in their life the better., 21 Oct 2013
I picked up a dusty copy of this book off a bookshelf in January 2013 and just started reading with the expectation that the advice inside would be 'obvious'. Much to my surprise I was hooked and ended-up glued to the book until I finished reading it.

Since reading it, I have noticed a sharp increase in my ability to research information, learn new subjects and retain knowledge.

I wished I had read this book when I was younger, at school or college.

I'd recommend it to everyone.

Made A List [7" VINYL]
Made A List [7" VINYL]
Offered by reflexcd2 SHIPPING FROM THE UK
Price: 3.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an amazing song, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Made A List [7" VINYL] (Vinyl)
This song is such an anthem. I can't get it out of my head. I bought the 7" Vinyl to keep as a collector's item - 'doing my bit' to preserve this song beyond the digital dark age.

The Mythical Man-month: Essays on Software Engineering
The Mythical Man-month: Essays on Software Engineering
by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Price: 17.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly overhyped but still worth a read, 8 April 2013
I read this book because it was referenced in other texts and recommended to me many many times.

Yes it is an interesting book. But, it does presume that you have a certain level of knowledge about how the computer industry worked during the author's heyday.

You'd get alot more out of this book if you have read-up on the history of operating systems first. So, a good pre-cursor to this book would be
* Chapter 2 and 3 of The Art of Unix Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing), or
* Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software

Nuclear Know-How! ~ With an Element of Truth
Nuclear Know-How! ~ With an Element of Truth
by Central Electricity Generating Board

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong design, 14 Feb 2013
I remember reading this pamphlet in my childhood. I was fascinated by the bold artwork, which is signed "Sibley".
I have a copy in my house and come face to face with it, every-so-often, when I am on a mission to clear out old stuff. I just can't part with it. I love it so much.

Why Most Things Fail: And How to Avoid It
Why Most Things Fail: And How to Avoid It
by Paul Ormerod
Price: 10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting. But, badly titled., 3 Sep 2012
I was reading this book expecting to discover, as the title suggests, why most things fail. I was dissapointed. Instead, the author argues that certain types of system are structured in such a complex way that it is difficult for individuals to act in a way that results in, predictable, intended outcomes. In effect "How Some Things Fail in Some Types of System".

The author padded this rather simple message with reams of acrobatic displays of his polymathic knowledge of Economics, Biology, Aristolian Poetics and Game Theory etc. It was quite interesting. But, I felt a bit deceived. If I had wanted to go on such a journey, I'd watch QI or read a book of trivia.

I picked up some unexpected gems of knowledge such as "The History of the Big Corporation", "Why Economically Illiterate People are Right" and an "Introduction to Economic Modeling". So, it *was* an interesting read. But, loses 2 stars for its deceptive title.

Stop Smoking Now
Stop Smoking Now
by Allen Carr
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant read., 22 May 2012
This review is from: Stop Smoking Now (Paperback)
A quick, short, read with some very funny bits. It made me laugh out loud many times.

A very pleasant and interesting explanation of how nicotine affects a person's sense of taste, smell and logical reasoning. I smoked whilst reading it. But, by the end, I didn't really wanna smoke anymore which was a nice bonus.

Buy it, even if you don't want to read it now. Just read the first chapter whenever you are ready.

The Art of Unix Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing)
The Art of Unix Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing)
by Eric S. Raymond
Price: 27.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Oct 2011
It has been said that anger and frustration stem from a mismatch between "one's expectations" and "reality". If things don't work the way you expect them to, then you get frustrated. So, if you come from a Windows/GUI background, Linux can be *very* frustrating because it does not work the way you'd expect.

This book explains *how* and *why* Linux behaves as it does. Thus, it re-aligns your expectations and you can begin a more harmonious relationship with that odd little penguin we call Linux.

Yes Linux. Although this book had 'UNIX' in the title, it also applies to those who wish to understand Linux.

Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction
Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction
by Steve McConnell
Price: 21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Packed with information. Brilliant!, 4 Sep 2010
This is one of the best software books that I have ever read. It is so well written.

At first I thought he was being a little too thorough by backing up almost every piece of advice with hard evidence / research statistics etc. But, by reading a chapter by night and working at the 'programming coal face' by day, I have found myself seeing real benefits from that 'teaching approach'.

Whilst programming I often ask "Shall I do this, shall I do that?", I find it very easy to recall not only which solution is best, but why. Its liberating to make a decision based on my own judgement, rather than "just cos some guru said so in a book".

He doesn't give you a set of recipes, but a set of tools and principals and I cannot think of anyone who would not benefit from having this on their bookshelf.

Page: 1 | 2