Profile for stehilton > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything

4.0 out of 5 stars watch the TED talk then read this, 14 July 2014
I would really encourage to watch Ken Robinsons TED talk first, as it adds some good ground context behind this book. Some good stories but it would help you find your element, so on to read his latest book "finding your element"

Quiet Maverick: Tim Noakes chews the fat
Quiet Maverick: Tim Noakes chews the fat

2.0 out of 5 stars just ok, no magical insights as just an interview, 8 May 2014
As above. I was expecting some summary of Noakes thoughts but it doesn't really give you that. Some basic background behind the man

Climb Like A Pro! Your Essential Training Guide To Cycling Hills FASTER: Be fit, fast & FIRST and feel TERRIFIC for it! (Includes 10 Supercharged Hill Climbing Workouts)

3.0 out of 5 stars a beginners guide, 30 April 2014
Bought this for the odd possible insight but really it's targeted at beginners or novices looking for holistic view on how to improve. Couldn't argue with anything in it

Breaking Addiction: A 7-Step Handbook for Ending Any Addiction
Breaking Addiction: A 7-Step Handbook for Ending Any Addiction

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting insight but don't expect quick fixes, it's not habit but addictions, 26 Mar. 2014
I think the first distinction that I found useful in this book is e difference between a habit and addiction. It's easy to confuse the 2, but if it's habit you need to read about find another book, this is about understanding deep rooted addictions which unfortunately don't carry quick fixes. An interesting read all the same

NIKE Air Pegasus+ 27 Men's Running Shoes, White/Blue/Yellow, UK8
NIKE Air Pegasus+ 27 Men's Running Shoes, White/Blue/Yellow, UK8

5.0 out of 5 stars Like running on thin air!!!, 17 Nov. 2011
Before buying these I was always a Asics wearer for road running. A friend of mine recommended them as I was finding the recent 2160's a little inflexible, and I also moved my running towards front foot striking and found the heel to front wedge on the Asics too big. I didnt want to go all out and buy a pair of Newtons, but wanted something I could train in every day etc, so thought Id give them a try.

All I can say is without a shaddow of doubt these are the best road running shoes ive ever tried, and already Ive gone and bought another pair. They felt very light and responsive, very neutral and extremely flexible in the forefoot. For the price, if you are a neutral runner they are worth a try.

Run!
Run!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of History of Dean - worth a read, 11 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Run! (Kindle Edition)
I think some of the early reviews of this book are a little harsh and if youve read any of Deans other books this is well worth a look. I think the difference between this book and the other two I have read is simply you get to understand a little bit more about Dean, what makes him tick, some history of where he has come from and what drives him today to do what he does. You get a peak at his family, with chapters from his Wife and Children as to what its like living with Dean. You also get a very interesting section on Topher, one of his best mates who hated running, and the journey from that first run with Dean to conquering the Mount Blanc 1.5hr quicker than Dean.

There is many motivational quotes and whilst its not a 'cant put down' book, you will find yourself working you way thro pretty damn quick - give it a go.

Fit Soul, Fit Body: 9 Keys to a Healthier, Happier You
Fit Soul, Fit Body: 9 Keys to a Healthier, Happier You
by Secunda

4.0 out of 5 stars Bear with it and you will find something to suit anyone, 31 May 2011
I bought this book due to the author, having a background in Triathlon myself. It was not fully what I expected, but I did find some sections of use. Dont buy this book thinking of a training manual, it is not. You must be open minded to trying different things if you really want to benefit from the mental stamina it will try to develop. If you suffer from the voice demons in your long distance events give this book a try

Garmin Velcro Strap and Expander Strap for Forerunner 205 and 305
Garmin Velcro Strap and Expander Strap for Forerunner 205 and 305
Offered by You Want One

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original strap, 31 May 2011
Excellent replacement strap for the 205/305. I find it much more versatile that the standard plastic offering, more comfortable on the wrist as infinitely variable, and easy to strap round the bike bars if needed. I did use the quick release version previously but found this makes the Garmin stand proud on my wrist, this one is much better.

Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on How to be a High Performing Leader (Financial Times Series)
by Ken Blanchard

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre summary of various other texts, 31 May 2011
I bought this book believing it was the latest in a line of work from Blanchard and Co, this is not the case. I have previously read many from the one minute manager range and been trained on SLII. If you have no experience of either, this is a valuable book so go buy it. If however like myself you have, it will merely serve as a one stop reference point for the Blanchard works.

Gemba Walks
Gemba Walks

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent summary of the LEI articles, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Gemba Walks (Kindle Edition)
If you have been logged with the Lean Institute for some time, you will have received the blog posts from Dan. I guess when you receive them in the manner sent, they were not always what you wanted to read at that time, and I found many of the key messages were lost due to no current interest. What this book offers is a grouping of the best postings that allows you to either read from cover to cover, or dip in to the relevant section for your current timing. I myself am reading cover to cover, but this is almost to create my own index, as I am already referencing back to relevant sections.

If you understand lean thinking, you will fully appreciate the Gemba approach. This summary is Dan's Gemba walks in once place, very interesting

Page: 1 | 2