Profile for Markus > Reviews

Markus (Nottingham)

Samsung Wi-Fi Display Hub for Galaxy S2/S3/S4/Note 2 - Black
Samsung Wi-Fi Display Hub for Galaxy S2/S3/S4/Note 2 - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Just doesn't do what it is supposed to., 14 Jun. 2014
This is a very expensive item which really struggles to do what it it designed for.

What it will do:
Sit nicely and unobtrusively under your telly.
Connect occasionally when it wants to.
Show your tablet/phone screens on your tv.

What it won't do:
Stream video from your tablet/phone at anything like hd quality without stuttering or freezing or simply refusing to play.
Show web streaming video without stuttering or refusing to play.

So, if you want to mirror your screen on your tv, buy one, if you want to watch your beautiful, crisp hd downloads, don't bother, cos it can't do it.

I've returned it for a refund and will give Chromecast a go for web streaming and put the difference towards a large NAS Drive.

Edit after purchasing Chromecast:

Well, took the plunge and glad I did. Chromecast is far easier to use and does everything I want. As long as you are using Chrome on your main computer you can cast a specific web page on to your TV with no trouble, and if you install the Remote Desktop app from the Play Store on your tablet then you can have remote control of a web page on your TV from your armchair.
Add Plex to your computer to manage your media library and you can view any of your downloaded media on your TV in superb quality without stutter or lag. Add Plex to your android smartphone/tablet and you have essentially got a hand sized remote control to stream all your content on to your TV.

Advice to consumers - get Chromecast, it just works like you want it to.
Advice to Samsung - give it up, the Allshare Cast is too expensive for what it says it does, and what it says it does, it does poorly!

SIEMENS RWB29 Programmer Battery
SIEMENS RWB29 Programmer Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly easy to fit!, 10 April 2014
With little or no DIY skills I was a little hesitant at ordering, despite other posters saying that the 'back-plate' on my current Landis and Gyr heating controller would be the same.

I checked the compatibility list online and was certain it would fit - still, you never know!

From the manual - If the RWB29 is replacing another Landis & Gyr or
Landis & Staefa product as listed below no wiring changes are required,
RWB1, RWB2, RWB20, RWB40, RWB200, RWB200cw, RWB252, RWB252cw,
RWB270, RWBXP, Gloworm Mastermind, Potterton Miniminder, Sankey
Sunline.

Well...

The postman delivered it about 10 minutes ago, it's now fitted, working and I'm writing a review of how easy it was.

If your current control is on the compatible list, look underneath, there are 2 screws, turn off the power (mains and fuse) undo them and lift the unit up and away from the wall, it comes away and leaves the industry standard plate on the wall behind it.
Take your new RWB29 out of its box, undo the screws on the bottom, remove the backplate because you already have one on your wall, reverse the removal with the new unit, tighten up the screws, refit the fuse, turn on the power and you have done it. Literally the hardest part was finding an old flat head screwdriver to take the old unit off the wall!

So glad I didn't cough up for a professional fitter!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2014 7:47 PM GMT

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 External (3200 mAh) Battery Power Pack Case / Cover (Black) + Free AGadget screen protector included
Offered by P4mobiles

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Chinese 'Powerbank' knock-off., 29 Mar. 2014
The pictures are the 'Powerbank' brand, what I received clearly wasn't.
Plugged it in for the first time, it charged for about 40 minutes, got really hot around the usb port and then stopped working, hasn't worked since.
Cheap knock-off copy piece of junk.
Going back!

National Geographic Vertical Camera Pouch
National Geographic Vertical Camera Pouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Olympus Stylus 1, 18 Feb. 2014
The difficulty with buying a new camera is that you are instantly on the look out for the 'perfect' case, not too obtrusive, not too much space, but not too tight either.

I took a chance on this to go with my Olympus Stylus 1 and was pleasantly surprised.

It is well made, has a good 'distressed' look and doesn't scream CAMERA!!

The fit is nearly perfect for the Stylus 1, just a little tight at the offset, but a tiny bit of stretching with a closed fist in the case itself and it fits the Stylus 1 like a glove.

There is a compartment at the front which will take a spare battery, even with the camera in the case. The strap is well made and a good length for the average sized person.

Not the cheapest case out there, but it is a good brand and as usual, you get what you pay for!

6 x Clear Screen Protectors for Sony Alpha NEX-6 - Anti-Scratch LCD Guards / Display Savers
Offered by Membrane Store

5.0 out of 5 stars NEX-6 Screen Protectors - Pretty good!, 28 Mar. 2013
Much as the rest of the world, I am pretty paranoid about screens and scratches and so try to fit screen protectors when ever possible. I have used this particular brand before on phones and had no worries about buying.
They arrived in just less that 24 hours (wow) and are exactly as advertised. You get 6 in the pack with a small microfibre cloth to clean the screen.

Carefully peel one side off, position and apply from one end to the other, then peel off the other side - done.

Amazingly I only used one as the first one went on perfectly - and perfectly for me means no bubbles or dust particles trapped, and perfectly in line.

Over all, very impressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2013 4:10 PM BST

Sony Ericsson LIVE VIEW
Sony Ericsson LIVE VIEW
Offered by Digital Save

2.0 out of 5 stars Genius or Junk? LiveView with a HTC Desire, 12 Dec. 2010
I followed this since it's announcement some months ago, it looked like Genius. A second screen you could wear as a watch which showed your text messages, RSS feeds, Facebook updates, Twitter messages and controlled your music as well - count me in!

Then I followed the progress and problems people were having with phones that were not Sony Ericsson - despite the fact that SE said they were supported by the device.

Bad reviews, but I thought I would give it a punt, not everyone was having problems.

After a day of playing with the device I have a dilemma - Genius or Junk.

I am sorry to say, that whilst the IDEA is pure genius, the execution and in particular the software is junk.

Most things would work to a certain extent for a few minutes, and this I could perhaps have lived with. But the one thing that was a deal breaker for me was the fact that it seemed impossible to hold a bluetooth connection for more than 15 minutes at a time, and when it did disconnect it wouldn't reconnect unless the thing was reset.
The device doesn't tell the time natively, it pulls it from the clock on your phone, so when it has disconnected you are left with a watch screen showing 00:00 until you can reconnect, hardly the slick, stylish operation I was expecting, having to hold buttons down for up to 20 seconds just to see the time.
Even when the bluetooth was stable it has the shortest range of any device I have ever used. The music player application was the one which most interested me and the device worked fine with the watch on my left wrist and my phone in my left trouser pocket - about 50cm apart at full stretch, but switch the phone to my right pocket and the bluetooth disconnected - I am a big bloke, but I didn't think I was dense enough to shield a BT signal completely.

Sony seem able to produce bluetooth headsets with a range of upto 10 meters, so why so poor with this item - one of the apps is 'Find My Phone,' an app which sounds your text message alert so you can pinpoint your phone if you have lost it. Not much use if it will only work if the phone is within half a meter of you, you could probably see it in that situation.

The liveware software (free from the android market) which controls the unit seems particularly flawed, causing both the unit and my phone to hang up several times, requiring a battery pull and deletion/re-installation of the software, and on several occasions refusing to recognise that the LiveView unit was paired at all, even though my phone clearly said it was.

In addition to this, the build quality is not wonderful, if this is worn as a watch for any length of time then I can see the screen and body becoming scratched VERY easily. And lets be honest, we all try to protect our time pieces, but you do occasionally give it the odd, accidental smack when you are not being careful. I don't think the Sony LiveView would put up with many before the screen or body broke.

At the moment there is no updated firmware for the Sony LiveView available, though the unit is mentioned on the Sony Updater site, so there is perhaps hope for the future.

Until then I'm afraid I shall be returning my LiveView, and would perhaps advise others to stay away for a couple of months to allow Sony to iron out the bugs in what seems to be a product rushed out for Christmas with Alpha rather than Beta released software.

People have also reported very poor battery performance, units lasting about 4-8 hours rather than the 4 DAYS stated by Sony. I can't comment on this directly as the battery longevity was the least of my worries, and I didn't run it down completely before re-connecting to the charger.

One star for the idea, and one star for the fact that it did work, every now and then, if it wanted to.

Will I buy one again if they sort out the problems?

Hell yes!
Didn't you hear what I said? It's a second screen you can use as a watch which shows your text messages, RSS feeds, Facebook updates, Twitter messages and controls your music as well!!!!!

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame On You Amazon, 22 Mar. 2010
Sorry Amazon, just not acceptable.

The inclusion of 5 star reviews for this product which date back to 2004! This predates the first commercial blu-ray player!!

I appreciate you want your review section to give an impression that a new product is desirable and high quality, but to include reviews from a totally different product to bump up the star rating is a pretty cheap shot, trying to make the production company/distributor feel better are we?

All reviews/discussions which don't relate specifically to the Blu-ray release of LOTR should be deleted and let the buying public see the real strength of feeling about this shoddy, profiteering by the Warners.

And in case you were wondering, yes, I will be keeping my money firmly in my pocket, waiting is good for the soul.

Logic3 MIP144K FM Radio with Remote Control - Black
Logic3 MIP144K FM Radio with Remote Control - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not for new 'Classic' owners...., 4 Aug. 2008
The logic 3 web site was unclear if this would work on the new classic, and it sort of does, ish!

When it is plugged into the dock the remote works fine as long as you are not using the 'through' headphone socket. If you use your phones in the normal Ipod socket the remote works fine-ish though it can be tempremental with next track and volume.

Using the remote with the phones in the normal ipod socket of course means that you can't use the radio which doesn't really matter because when used with the Ipod Classic the radio is pretty rubbish.

This is a shame because the remote unit works as an excellent inline amplifier and resolves the problem of apples volume limiter on european models, when playing through the actual remote unit the volume becomes ear-bleedingly loud, but unfortunately the response from the remote is not precise enough to turn it down quickly!!!!

I will shop around for the non-fm radio version, as the logic website states that this will definately work with the classic, and if it works properly then this will be a brilliant bit of kit.