Profile for Rugby leaguer > Reviews

Content by Rugby leaguer

Rugby leaguer "lewis1753" (Leeds , England)

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung CLP-315 Colour Laser Printer
Samsung CLP-315 Colour Laser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 4 Sept. 2009
My faithful Epson Inkjet finally gave up the ghost and I spent ages looking for a replacement. It came down to inkjet v laser, the facility to print on photopaper v speed, the 3 in 1 possibility v print only. In the end I decided that as I don't do much printing I would go for a laser. That may sound paradoxical but every inkjet seemed to have a start up routine of cleaning itself -so if you print a letter a day you use proportionally more ink than printing 20.
Setting up was simple (save for crawling aroud the back of the computer to find a spare USB socket). The print quality has blown me away.
Buy it.

How to Master The Times Crossword: The Times Cryptic Crossword Demystified
How to Master The Times Crossword: The Times Cryptic Crossword Demystified
by Tim Moorey

4.0 out of 5 stars Best there is but didn't work for me, 1 Sept. 2009
I have tried to solve cryptics on and off for years -sometimes a year might go by without attempting one and then I might have a three month blitz. At best I would get the Telegraph out and get perhaps half way with the Times, Guardian and Independent.
I then decided about 18 months ago to really make a go of it and bought several books which I worked painstakingly through without much in the way of improvement.
Then I came across this one which includes "The stated intention is that the Times Crossword can be done by any moderately well educated person with a love of language and problem solving without recourse to reference books"
Believe me I have really worked my way through this book but I have never managed to solve one Times crossword wihtout online help. Here is a clue that I couldn't get "Traveller swindled pair from Rome clothes company" -now if you can solve that I take my hat off to you but I don't think any book can ever teach you that. I have found that it is a bit like buying a book on "How to plaster". There is no way that you will ever learn to plaster without getting your hands dirty and even then some will never have the skill no matter how hard they try.
I frankly don't believe that that the Times Crossword can be done by any moderately well educated person with a love of language and problem solving without recourse to reference books.
This is without doubt the best book there is but anyone thinking that they will be successful even if they spend hours on it will be wrong.
The answer to the clue is Didicoi. I and several others of my standard just couldn't get it-we'd never heard of it. Some will say ah yes but swindled =did , company =co, two from Rome =ii so the answer must be did i co i . I'm afraid no book is ever going to get me thinking that way.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2012 6:05 PM BST

The Art of Bookmaking
The Art of Bookmaking
by Malcolm Boyle

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't do what it says, 1 Sept. 2006
This review is from: The Art of Bookmaking (Paperback)
This was very disappointing. I thought it would show me how to price up a race or a football match. How, for example, do you decide if a horse should be 11/10 rather than 5/4. How do you price up Man U v Spurs. But you just get generalities.

Michel Thomas Advanced German (CD)
Michel Thomas Advanced German (CD)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow on to the 8 hr course, 14 Aug. 2006
Michel continues on from the first course and it's pretty seamless -no sudden jump. He moves onto the subjunctive which is advanced stuff and towards the end he counts up the tenses he has covered and it is around 15. The only reason I don't give it five stars is that it doesn't do much grammar - you would never know that there was life beyond der (ie den,des,dem). I've been using Lisa Kahlen's German Grammar Made Easy for that. I'd love to know how this course compares with Linguaphone Advanced German and Hugo's Advanced German.

German Grammar Made Easy
German Grammar Made Easy
by Lisa Kahlen

5.0 out of 5 stars Best grammar book I have bought, 14 Aug. 2006
I have tried several German grammar books but have found this one the best. It is not a book for beginners . I would say it is the perfect follow on to someone who has done the Michel Thomas courses so has a reasonable vocabulary but is looking to learn some formal grammar. This is not a sit back and stare into space book-to get something out of it you have to spend time doing the exercises. If learning a language was easy we would all speak ten languages but we don't. So you have to make an effort but some books just don't reward that effort. This one is exactly on my wavelength. No doubt it won't suit the learning style of some but I'd recommend that you give this a real go.

Page: 1 | 2