Profile for Italofila > Reviews

New Ancient Strings
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 10.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic and perhaps definitive kora album, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: New Ancient Strings (Audio CD)
I've yet to hear a better example of kora playing. These two in my opinion far outstrip their parents' original Ancient Strings for technique, inspirationa dn musical development..

Mali - Ancient strings
Mali - Ancient strings
Price: 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Personally I'd advise you buy New Ancient Strings if you haven't already., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Mali - Ancient strings (Audio CD)
Only really if interest if yu already know the far better New Ancient Strings by the artists' sons. You can hear how they developed their own style and built on their fathers' techniques but personally having heard it once I doubt I would listen to it again whereas New Ancient Strings is wonderful and I listen to it frequently. I guess it made me appreciate it even more. Also being rarer it was comparatively expensive. Presumably of particular interest to kora players and music historians.

Going for the One
Going for the One
Price: 5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, go for this one!, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Going for the One (Audio CD)
A classic album that stands the test of time, loved it when it was first released and love it still. The quality of the production means you can hear details that I can't distinguish on my old vinyl.
The extra tracks are odd, rehearsals of the album showing its development from some unlikely and in some cases unpromising beginnings. Fascinating to listen closely to occassionally but I think I'd have preferred it to be a separate disc so when the orignal album finishes you have silence in which to contemplate it rather than rushing into the archives. This is a minor gripe but you might be glad to be fore-warned!

Talus Womens Ladies Base Layer Top - Colour Black Size 16
Talus Womens Ladies Base Layer Top - Colour Black Size 16

5.0 out of 5 stars into the icy wilderness, 14 May 2012
Bought this base layer 3 weeks ago to take into the central highlands of iceland. The temperature didn't actually go much below -10 but the wind chill when snowmobiling in the evening meant it felt much colder. This base layer kept me comfortably warm then and performed equally well when glacier hiking on Myrdalsjokull subsequently when the temperature was well above zero, wicking well. I've washed it several times now and it dries really quickly and looks to be holding its shape well.