Profile for Alison > Reviews

Chess In Concert [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Chess In Concert
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb production, 26 Jun. 2010
I looked for this everywhere and eventually got my hands on a copy. It definately didn't disappoint! From reading some of the reviews on here I feel I have to defend Ms Menzel. She is not as bad as some are making out and I find her singing to be incredible. I realise that not every one can be a fan though as she has quite a distinctive voice but she isn't one of the biggest broadway stars out there for nothing. Personally, while I believe that Kerry Ellis is also an awesome singer, I believe that Idina far outshines her. She has one of the best voices in the business.

All in all this DVD is worth watching, the WHOLE cast are amazing but it would have been nice to get a few extras.

Sophie's Choice (Special Edition) [DVD]
Sophie's Choice (Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpeice, 1 Feb. 2009
I absolutely loved this film when I watched it for the first time and each time I watch it I am still in awe of the talent on the screen. Ms Streep is amazing as the torn concentration camp survivor and delivers THE best performance in her career so far and in my opinion the best performance by any actress of her generation. Kevin Kline and Peter McNicol are just as spell-binding as Meryl Streep and bring in the edge of danger and innocence. It is a beautiful and tragic tale of Sophie's past that is profoundly moving and intelligent. A totally unforgettable and moving film.

Adaptation [DVD] [2003]
Adaptation [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage|Meryl Streep
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 22 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Adaptation [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
This film is very unique in its narrative and very clever. I loved the comedic moments in the film from Nicholas Cage, and Chris Cooper and Meryl Streep are hilarious as John Laroche and Susan Orlean. Its a different kind of story where the first part of the film is based on true life with Susan Orlean writing a book about John Laroche, the Orchid thief. Ther meetings are shown in flashbacks as Charlie Kaufman is attempting to write a screenplay about the book. The second part of the film is complete fiction and illustrates everything that Kaufman didn't want in his screenplay - drugs, sex, car chases etc. The unexpected action scene comes as a shock to the viewer and at the end you are wondering what the hell just happened! An excellent film that really stands out on its own. Its not a hollywood blockbuster movie, its both comedy and action and it doesn't suit everyones taste but i love it nontheless. Sometimes its good to see a different kind of film. A well deserved oscar for Chris Cooper and another nomination for Meryl Streep (which she should have definatley won!)