Profile for Mrs. S. K. Goffin > Reviews

Dvd ~ Kang-Ho Song
Offered by OnlineMusicFilmsGames
Price: 2.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping monster movie, 9 May 2007
I was expecting this to be a corny monster movie. However, I was completely wrong. Everything about this film was of a high quality: the satire (I am sure that this had a few words to say about both North American and South Korean societies!), the characters, the monster, the graphics, and the sense of tension. The main character was a kind of anti-hero. However, he was also a sympathetic character and you wanted him to rescue his daughter. The plot was not straightforward and the ending was not predictable. The recreation of the underground sewers added an extra dimension to the visual representation.

Wednesday's Child
Wednesday's Child
by Shane Dunphy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Torey Hayden of the child care world, 10 April 2007
This review is from: Wednesday's Child (Paperback)
If you like Torey Hayden's books, you will probably like this. Shane Dunphy focuses his attention on three particular families. The reader sees his relationship with the particular children unfold, not necessarily with happy endings. As with Torey Hayden's books, there is an element of mystery, some as yet unknown 'key' to understanding the children's behaviour, so that there is a sense in which these books resemble detective novels. Also as with Torey Hayden, even the most difficult children are portrayed in a sympathetic light, so that the reader is interested in knowing what happens to them.

The Return Of The Dancing Master
The Return Of The Dancing Master
by Henning Mankell

5.0 out of 5 stars Brooding isolation, 10 April 2007
I have now read two of Henning Mankell's novels, 'One Step Behind' and 'The Return of the Dancing Master'. They have a distinctive style which features remoteness, illness and a sense of mystery. When one reads these books, one can imagine that one is actually in a remote corner of Sweden. These books will probably appeal to people who like isolation. As far as the detective element is concerned, there is a great deal of repetition, but this helps the reader to feel as though he is actually living in the situation. It makes the reader want to learn more. It keeps the reader in suspense.

Breakdown: A Personal Crisis and a Medical Dilemma
Breakdown: A Personal Crisis and a Medical Dilemma
by Stuart Sutherland

3.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful for average person, 10 April 2007
I have to admit that I read an earlier version of this book. I found it to be very out-of-date. Up-to-date treatment consists of drug treatment. If hospitalised, patients receive drug treatment and have the choice of watching television or not watching television; there is nothing else to do. Psychologists do not appear to work in hospitals.

Drug treatment can cause permanent physical damage and render a person incapable of leading a normal life. However, the refusal of drug treatment means that a person is regarded as having disengaged themselves from medical services and hence ALL support (including financial support). Even if a person accepts drug treatment, it is very unlikely that he will ever see a psychologist or even a support worker. Unfortunately, people who are too ill to work are not usually able to afford any kind of private treatment.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2010 9:35 PM GMT

Renaissance [DVD]
Renaissance [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Black-and-white anime, 12 Feb 2007
This review is from: Renaissance [DVD] (DVD)
This film was not what I had expected. I think that one of the previous reviewers is right to describe it as being similar to 'Sin City', as it can best be described as an animated black-and-white comic book. Having said this, the content was not as unpleasant as that of 'Sin City' (I did not attempt to watch much of 'Sin City', whereas I watched this film to its conclusion). I was able to appreciate that the graphics were of a very high quality. The storyline also had a few twists and turns. It took me a while to accustom myself to the style of presentation, but I found that I was increasingly able to do so and felt that my patience was rewarded. This film will suit fans of this particular genre. However, other sci-fi fans might find it a bit alien.

The Woods [DVD]
The Woods [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lauren Birkell

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-rate horror without the gore, 12 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Woods [DVD] (DVD)
I had never heard of this film before I caught sight of it in the local video store. When I saw comparisons being made with 'Saw' and 'Hostel', I was wary as I cannot imagine that I will ever watch the latter two films. I am glad that I trusted my instincts. This was a suspenseful horror film. Thankfully, there was very little gore and, by the time gore appeared on the screen, its presence was perfectly justified. You could not wait for the heroine to cut those baddies down to size. All of the characters were very well cast. The plot did not simply have one layer: the themes of bullying, mother-daughter relationships, and the concept of Nature being infected by evil were also considered.

Thief Lord [DVD] [2006]
Thief Lord [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Aaron Johnson
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 4.57

1.0 out of 5 stars A band of thieves, 12 Feb 2007
This review is from: Thief Lord [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
When I saw the earlier, favourable reviews, I thought that I might enjoy this film. However, I found the basic premise of a band of juvenile thieves to be ill conceived. In this day and age, when many communities are plagued by the antisocial behaviour of youths, it does not seem appropriate to present well-spoken, well-dressed teenagers in the role of pickpockets and thieves. A bit of background to their situation at the start of the film might have enabled the viewer to regard them in a more sympathetic light.

However, it was not only the characterisation which seemed to be lacking. The basic plot idea was a novel one. However, it did not give rise to many special effects. Perhaps the producers thought that the Venetian backdrop would suffice. Although I have visited Venice and think that it is a magical place, that magic did not seem to be transferred to this film for some reason.

The Woodsman [DVD] [2004]
The Woodsman [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Kevin Bacon
Offered by FilmloverUK
Price: 4.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming, 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Woodsman [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
This was a very heartening tale. The protagonist overcomes everyone's understandable feelings of revulsion and the expectation that he will reoffend. However, instead of reoffending, he is able to enter into a relationship with a woman who knows about his past. The viewer sees him wrestling with his internal desires, saying that he is not the person everyone believes him to be. I am not sure to what extent I believe that paedophiles are able to overcome their abnormal impulses, but it would be nice to think that such offenders could be rehabilitated.

The Nameless [DVD]
The Nameless [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emma Vilarasau

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Spanish horror, 6 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Nameless [DVD] (DVD)
I found the opening scenes to be unwatchable and I did my best not to listen too closely to what was being said. After this unpropitious start, I nearly did not watch the rest of the film. However, I am glad that I did, as I found it to be a skilful and atmospheric thriller about a secret organisation.

The Coast Guard [DVD]
The Coast Guard [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jang Dong-kun
Offered by simply-well-priced
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars War in peacetime, 25 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Coast Guard [DVD] (DVD)
This film provides a stark reminder of the impact of war in peacetime. It is clear from the start that the main protagonist, Kang, has been deeply affected by his previous wartime experiences. However, his fellow soldiers appear to be completely unaware of the danger which he poses. In fact, their extreme lack of awareness of the impact of human acts is a key feature of the film. These soldiers seem to drift through life in an empty-headed kind of way. It is appropriate that, despite the chaotic events which take place, the film ends with a group of soldiers playing football.

Because of the soldiers' ignorance, Kang commits an act which has profound consequences for all concerned. In some ways, this film reminded me of 'R-Point'. However, I preferred this film. It is not an easy film to watch. Some very unpleasant incidents occur. However, it makes for compelling viewing, and the ever present madness lends the film a 'mystical' air which it would not otherwise have.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4