Profile for Bookshelf Builder > Reviews

Content by Bookshelf Builder

Bookshelf Builder "building a library" (Swindon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps
The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Fantasy Novella, 14 Jun. 2016
Brilliant novella brimming with creativity, vibrant language, drama, action and mystery - what more could you want? I loved the stylistic choices, the intelligence demanded of the reader, and the length - though I could have read more, short and sharp wins over bloated doorstop for me. Great to see different, diverse perspectives in fantasy, too, challenging the staleness of the genre while still executing the form perfectly. Standout book of last year, for me.

Darkness Reigns (The Kinsman Chronicles): Part 1
Darkness Reigns (The Kinsman Chronicles): Part 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing set up, 14 Jun. 2016
This was an interesting and intriguing read, establishing a diverse set of characters and a complex world with plenty of original features. The only problem with the book is that it doesn't really go anywhere - yet. Obviously, the point is to get you interested in the rest of the series, and it certainly accomplishes that. A few tropey elements, and a shame the interesting character from the prologue doesn't turn up again, but overall well above average for indie fantasy and worth a (free) download and read.

The Big Roar
The Big Roar
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut, 14 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Big Roar (Audio CD)
I realised I never reviewed this brilliant debut album from what is now pretty much my favourite band. So many highlights, and while it maybe lacks the variety of their later releases, that consistency is also a strength as the whole album flows from one soaring, haunting, riff-driven, joy-filled opus into another. Stunning.

Hitch
Hitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunner from this great little band, 14 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Hitch (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure at first, but after countless listens this has really grown on me, and I'm now sure it's even better than Wolf's Law. More consistent, perhaps, in tone and quality, with some haunting classic TJF moments and some experiments with new styles and textures (wow, isn't "Last Thing On My Mind" brilliant: catchy, sexy, ambiguous...). The first track is too major for me, but the album then takes off, answering Wolf's 1-2 punch with a 2-3-4 that I could just loop over and over...if the rest of the album wasn't so good, that is. The songs are almost all longer again this time around, which seems more natural for this band, and I can't see how this could disappoint fans old or new.

Shadow of the Knight (The Orb Book 3)
Shadow of the Knight (The Orb Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the series so far, can't wait for more!, 1 Mar. 2016
I have been really enjoying this series, and this is the best book yet. It's certainly the most confident and well-written, and expands what had been a tightly-focused, personal tale into something much more epic. As usual, there is careful attention to detail, plenty of action and moments of real tension when you don't know what might happen next. There are now three engaging main characters handling the load, but even with the wider scope, the book still resolves the main plot arc while leaving you ready for more. There's also a lot more magic in this one, and though I'm not always a fan of overt magic, I thought it was done really well.

I love the way this series continues to build, and look forward to the next one.

Traitor Blade: (Books 1-3)
Traitor Blade: (Books 1-3)

5.0 out of 5 stars New edition of a great book/series., 8 Jan. 2016
I read all three of these separately a few years ago, but they really are just one book, and they are definitely worth reading. It's good to a new edition come out - the individual books still seem to be out there, and the first one is (still) free. Very good medieval fantasy with compelling characters caught up in interesting times. Deserves a wider audience.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Trilogy)
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Trilogy)
by N. K. Jemisin

5.0 out of 5 stars Standout Modern Fantasy, 4 Jan. 2016
Wonderful book, a blend of some modern storytelling and ancient-evoking mythology, with huge echoes of Tanith Lee. Something about it called to me from the first time I saw it on the shelves, and when I finally got around to reading it I got even more than I expected. Not quite perfect, but beats your run-of-the-mill fantasy any day. (Originally reviewed on Goodreads)

The Tower of Endless Worlds
The Tower of Endless Worlds

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept for 'e-pulp' writer, 7 Sept. 2015
The author is prolific and dependable, writing a sort of ebook 'pulp fantasy', and his stories are usually reasonably well-crafted and fun to read. This one has an interesting concept and characters, and kept me interested (though a couple times the general plot arc seemed to lose momentum). I was a bit annoyed with the abrupt ending, however, but at least it explains why one character dropped out of sight in the middle. Also, the romance was a bit hard to believe, but it was nice to see Simon's transition from know-it-all recluse to someone more confident and mature.

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not *that* good., 7 Sept. 2015
There has been so much hype around this book, since it's origins as a self-published work, that it was probably inevitable that I would be somewhat disappointed. It is still a good book, but it's not *that* good. It's probably longer than it needs to be, and it's fairly straightforward, conservative, dude-with-sword stuff. Decent characters, yet not a lot of women (usually mysterious, distant, or inevitably love interests), and the hero's comrades never developed enough for me (Dentos?). The format is Rothfus-like, but the story lacks the soaring creativity or memorable imagery. I can see why lots of people like this book so much, but after 800 pages, I find I'd have preferred to read two other books instead...

City of Stairs: The Divine Cities Book 1
City of Stairs: The Divine Cities Book 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant modern fantasy, 7 Sept. 2015
This book was brilliant - one of the most interesting and unique fantasies I've ever read. Devoid of almost all of the old tropes and trappings of fantasy (whether you like them or not), this creates a fascinating world out of echoes of our own history, peoples it with intriguing characters and wraps it all up in a plot that grabs you and keeps you guessing the whole way through. Phenomenal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6