Profile for Leandros > Reviews

Content by Leandros

Leandros (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Party Shoes (Oxford Children's Classics)
Party Shoes (Oxford Children's Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Wonderful Story, 11 Mar. 2016
This is another wonderful book by Noel Streatfeild. As with several of her other books, the title has been changed - it was originally Party Frock, which makes much more sense, as it's the dress not the shoes which is the important thing in the story. When 13 year old Selina gets a beautiful party outfit from het American Godmother, she's over the moon - but it's right at the end of the second world war, and she lives in a small village. When could she possiy wear her amazing new dress? The story is about the plan she and her cousins come up with to enable her to wear it - and it's a great one! A lovely book, this, and I enjoy it as much now as I did when I was a child.

Theatre Shoes
Theatre Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treat Of A Book., 11 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Theatre Shoes (Kindle Edition)
Much as I love Ballet Shoes, in many ways I like this book more. (It's original title was Curtain Up.) It's set during the second world war, and is the story of the Forbes children, Sorrel, Mark and Holly. Their mothet died when they were young, and when the war starts their father joins the navy, so they are sent to live with their paternal grandfather. Unfortunately, their grandfather dies a year or so later, which is when the children learn that they have relations on their mother's side - a grandmother, aunts and uncles and cousins - called the Warrens, a famous theatrical family. So the children go to London to live with them
At this point, we meet some old friends from Ballet Shoes - Madame Fidolia and the stage academy, Winifred and, of course, Pauline, Petrova and Posy Fossil. The children discover talents they didn't know they had - Sorrel finds she's got the makings of an excellent actress, Mark has a lovely singing voice and Holly is a natural comedienne. But it isn't all plain sailing, and the children have to make some hard decisions. It's a treat of a story with wonderful characters - both nice and not so nice! - and a very satisfying ending! Ifirst read it many years ago aged about ten, and fifty years later I still love reading it! Very highly recommended.

Love Story: The heartbreaking international phenomenon
Love Story: The heartbreaking international phenomenon

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Erich Segal!, 4 Mar. 2016
I first read this book in 1970, when I was fourteen. I had seen the film first, which I loved, but the book is even better, particularly with regard to Oliver's relationship with his father (although I think my love for the book was enhanced by seeing the film as it was so beautifully made). I've read it so often that I know large chunks of it by heart! It's a book I will never tire of, and it still makes me cry. I introduced my daughter to it when she was a teenager, and she loves it as much as I do. I have read all of Erich Segal's books - he is an amazing writer and his characters are always completely believable. 'The Class' is a brilliant book, but 'Love Story' will always be my favourite.

In the High Valley Being the fifth and last volume of the Katy Did series
In the High Valley Being the fifth and last volume of the Katy Did series

1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrible Book, 18 Feb. 2016
I loved the other four Katy books, and was so pleased to find there was a fifth - but what a disappointment! The story in itself was trite; 'Clover', the fourth book, I found interesting, and it had plenty of Katy and the rest of the Carr tribe, but the story of Clover and Philly going alone to Colorado for Philly's health and having to fend for themselves and make new friends was good and well written. Of course, it was a bit of a coincidence that their cousin, Clarence, was there, but these things do happen. However, 'In The High Valley' is wsy too full of coincidences, which are so annoying. How fortunate that Clarence, after having been madly in love with Clover, so luckily falls almost immediately in love with her sister,Elsie, and she with him! And that Johnnie falls for Lionel and Dorry for the awful Imogen! And Philly isobviously going to wind up with Amy Ashe! Why not bring the whole population of Burnet out there and be done with it? But the very worst part of the story was Imogen's ridiculous prejudice against Americans. In fact, all it showed is how incredibly biased Susan Coolidge must have been against the British. Imogen is unpleasant, rude, gullible, poorly educated, has no idea how to dress or do her hair - in fact, she has no taste at all. She is portrayed as being amazed by the fact that American girls can cook so well - even - wow! - bake bread! Of course, no British girl could do that, and we've already been told, at the beginning of the book, that British bread is disgusting, hard and cardboard-like, and that's the only type of bread available in Britain! Imogen is just a prop on which Coolidge hangs the American dislike of Britain - the poor girl has even got bad teeth, whereas all the Americans have teeth like pearls! As if! Imogen is so stupid that, on the boat to America, she doesn't realise that the nice, well mannered woman to whom she's talking is American (and just happens to be Katy's sister-in-law,yet another ridiculous coincidence) and when the ignorant Imogen runs down the Americans to her, and points out an obnoxious, badly behaved child, the American calmy and triumphantly informs her that it's parents are British! Of course! How could it be otherwise? The Americans are the best behaved, best dressed, most accomplished and well educated people ever to grace the world! Sadly, this last book is very poor; far to full of coincidences, similarities to the previous book, and rather unpleasant, very one dimensional characters. If, like me,you're a fan of the other Katy books, avoid this one,as it leaves a very sour taste. Not a good way to say goodbye to the Carr family.

Better Times - Complete Series (Ep. 1-22) - 10-DVD Box Set ( Krøniken ) ( Krönikan )
Dvd ~ Anders W. Berthelsen

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful series., 29 Dec. 2015
This is a fantastic series. Well acted, well written, and extremely interesting. It portrays Danish life through the eyes of a group of characters whose lives are interlinked, from the late forties to the early seventies. I really recommend it.

New TREASURE SEEKERS, New Edition: with Authentic Drawings
New TREASURE SEEKERS, New Edition: with Authentic Drawings
by Edith Nesbit

5.0 out of 5 stars Aonther great book by E. Nesbit, 29 Dec. 2015
A lovely book, very well written and very entertaining. The children are beautifully portrayed.

Catmas Carols
Catmas Carols
by Laurie Loughlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for cat lovers., 29 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Catmas Carols (Hardcover)
This is a sweet and amusing little book. Recommended for anyone who loves cats!

Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow (Harvill Panther)
Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow (Harvill Panther)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic, Addictive Book, 29 Dec. 2015
I really enjoyed this book. It was exciting, extremely interesting and very thought provoking.
I loved all the descriptions of life in Greenland - somewhere with which I am not very familiar (although, after reading this book, I have spent time finding out about it) and the thought processes of Smilla make excellent reading.
I also like a book that teaches me about something new - I know nothing at all about ice and snow, and the information was fascinating.
I found it very hard to put the book down, I kept wanting to find out what was going to happen. If you enjoyed The Killing, you'll like this story.
Also,the last part of the book, from the chapter 'The Sea:1' onwards reminded me terrifically of an updated Modesty Blaise book - the 'baddie' characters, with that touch of madness that you always find in any Modesty Blaise adventure; the fight scenes, where, despite being battered and injured herself, Smilla manages to outwit and defeat her protagonist, and the final scenario. It was as if Smilla had become a modern day Modesty by accident, and Fojl was a kind of flawed Willie Garvin. I'd be interested to know if Peter Hoeg read the Modesty Blaise books at any time. This doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the book in any way, and I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery and action novel.

If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind (Almighty remix)
If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind (Almighty remix)

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 5 Sept. 2014
Great song totally ruined.

If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind