Profile for Leandros > Reviews

Content by Leandros

Leandros (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind (Almighty remix)
If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind (Almighty remix)

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 5 Sep 2014
Great song totally ruined.

If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind

The Muppet Christmas Carol [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Michael Caine
Offered by Factory Shop Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Version Of 'A Christmas Carol' Ever!, 15 Dec 2013
I know it's got Muppets, singing and the ending is wrong - but it is FANTASTIC!!!

If you're ever feeling depressed - at any time of the rolling year! - put this on and you'll soon be feeling wonderful! Michael Caine is SUPERB as Scrooge - he should have got an Oscar! My family and I love this book, and read it aloud during advent, so we practically know it by heart, and Caine is the very epitome of Scrooge. They're all good - Stephen Mackintosh is lovely as Fred, and as for the Muppets - well, what needs to be said? They are as much fun as ever. Kermit and Miss Piggy make excellent Cratchits, and I love Fozzywig and Mom - and also Jacob and Bob Marley!! We watch this as a family every Christmas Eve, and it just about makes our Christmas! A wonderful film for absolutely anyone of any age.

A Christmas Carol [DVD] [1999]
A Christmas Carol [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars How Could Patrick Stewart Get It So Wrong?, 15 Dec 2013
I was so looking forward to this film! I think Patrick Stewart is an excellent actor, and I love the book, so it seemed like a match made in heaven, but what a disappointment! Patrick Stewart plays Scrooge abominably! It's OK at the beginning, when Scrooge really is mean and miserly, but as anyone who is familiar with the book knows, that state does not survive even the first ghost! Even during the first ghost's visit, he's feeling sorry for the way he behaved, and wishing he could take back things he did, and by the time the ghost of Christmas Future rocks up, he's a thoroughly changed man! Patrick Stewart's Scrooge only seems worried that he'll die all alone - even after all three ghostly visits, when he's supposed to be completely changed, when calling down to the boy to buy him a turkey, he's being grudging about paying him! In the book, Scrooge would have flung down all his worldly wealth if he'd had it with him!

If you want to see a truly excellent portrayal of Ebeneezer Scrooge as Dickens wrote him, look no further than Michael Caine in the Muppet's version - he is sensational! It's ironic, as when I first heard that he had been cast in the Muppet film, I thought he was a pretty odd choice, and would have thought Patrick Stewart perfect! Stewart even looks the part - check out the description of Scrooge in the book - "The cold within froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose...made... his thin lips blue, and spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice. A frosty rime was on his head, and on his eyebrows..." - he is just like that, down to the grating voice, although it's much too posh - Scrooge was a man of the people, and had been poor; he didn't care what people thought of him, so he wouldn't have put on a posh accent. And once again, Michael Caine has it exactly right with his slight cockney accent.

I must also say, that I found the bit where Scrooge is telling Marley's ghost why he doesn't believe in him, and says, "You could be a bit of undigested BRITISH beef!" very annoying. I know it was at the time of the BSE scare, but for goodness sake, how incredibly childish! Grow up, Americans!

Having said all this, I have to go on to say that Richard E Grant and Saskia Reeves are brilliant as Bob Cratchit and his wife - in fact the whole of the Cratchit family are excellent; the children are so natural - ordinary, poor and loveable. The casting is spot on, because Bob and his wife would have been about that age; they have a young family, and so would most likely have been early to mid thirties, but they're so often portrayed as being elderly. Grant, Reeves and the children do a fantastic job, and their scenes almost make up for the bad bits of the film.

But apart from the Cratchits, there's not much else to enjoy, sadly - Scrooge's nephew and his wife are rather miscast, and as for Mr and Mrs Fezziwig - appalling! And that stuff about Mrs Fezziwig being on a diet - come on!!! All in all, a very disappointing film.

Wie Betaalt De Veerman? [DVD]
Wie Betaalt De Veerman? [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tv Series
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Classic, 14 Feb 2012
I first saw 'Who Pays The Ferryman' when it was originally aired in 1977. It was fantastic then, and it's every bit as good now! Jack Hedley is amazing as Alan Haldane, also known on the island of Crete, where 99% of the show is set, as Leandros, which was his code name when, as a young army officer, he worked with the resistance during the second world war. Hedley plays the character perfectly, making you feel genuine liking and sympathy for Leandros, and Neil McCarthy, as his old friend and fellow resistance member Babis, now a well respected solicitor on the island, is also excellent. (And for those who enjoyed 'The Lotus Eaters', Stephan Gryff, who played the police captain, appears here as the Major - also a policeman.) Each episode is a story in itself, but there is also a plot running through it, a story that build and builds, racking up the tension, and it unfolds in a typical Greek tragedy style. I bought the DVD to watch myself, but also for my four children (who are in their late teens) as we had previously watched Colditz, and they'd all been very impressed with Hedley's performance in that - which was what reminded me of 'Who Pays The Ferryman'. When I came to look for it, I could not believe that it was only available as a Dutch export!! What is wrong with this country? Michael J Bird did other great shows - 'The Aphrodite Inheritance', starring Alexandra Bastedo, and 'The Dark Side Of The Sun' starring Peter Egan, were particularly good, and yet you can't get them on DVD. Crazy!

From Time To Time [DVD]
From Time To Time [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Change A Very Good Book?, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: From Time To Time [DVD] (DVD)
I simply cannot understand why screenwriters think that they can write a story better than the author! This screenplay is taken from the fantastic book 'The Chimneys Of Green Knowe' but it's been changed out of all recognition! The casting is poor and the story has been changed utterly! If a writer is going to adapt a story, then fine, adapt it so that it can be filmed, but don't change the basic story! In the book, the action did not take place during the second world war, Tolly's mother was dead and his father was remarried and lived in Burma! Tolly was at boarding school in England and stayed with his great grandmother, Mrs Oldknow (who, incidentally, is described in the books as being very small and wrinkled and round - Tolly calls her Granny Partridge because of her shape - Maggie Smith is hardly right for this part!!) Why change that? It adds nothing to the story! I am so sick of these talentless hacks whose only way of getting something filmed is to take a well loved book and change it! If they think they're a better writer than the author, then prove it by writing something original! Yet another case of 'those who can, do - those who can't, 'adapt' a best seller and change it for the worse!'
Comment Comments (40) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2012 8:41 PM BST

Over the Hills and Far Away: The Music of Sharpe [SOUNDTRACK]
Over the Hills and Far Away: The Music of Sharpe [SOUNDTRACK]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Peninsular War condensed into 52 and a half minutes of musical enjoyment., 25 Feb 2007
I've been re-watching Sharpe, and having long-admired the music of the series, decided it was about time I bought the soundtrack.

I must admit that having read the mixed reviews, it was not without a sense of trepidation that I ordered the CD.

I'm happy to report that it lived up to my expectations, and more. From the opening bars of "The Overture" to the closing track, "Sharpe's Song/ Sharpe's Theme", I was captivated and transported to that time and place many of us have grown to love: Spanish mountains, French skies, loyal partisans, valiant heroes and repugnant villains, Waterloo, Wellington and of course, the Ninety-Fifth Rifles.

Let's clear a few things up.

No, not every piece of music recorded for the Sharpe series is on the CD.

Yes, there is plenty from the series, and the other songs - especially the vocal pieces - give a nice "flavour" of both the period and spirit of the Napoleonic Wars.

No, puritans who don't believe old instruments should be mixed with new will not like this.

Yes, everyone else will.

Legend
Legend

5.0 out of 5 stars Unrivalled excellence, whether you view it as a soundtrack or stand-alone album., 10 Sep 2006
This review is from: Legend (Audio CD)
I love this album. I always have, and the likelihood is that I always will. I was born in 1984, and my mother had the original Legend LP. This is the music I was raised on, and believe me, it gets under your skin in a way you cannot imagine. Once heard, never forgotten. The LP disappeared sometime when I was growing up, but the fantastic music from this album lingered on in my psyche for years. Until, in fact, I was able to hear it again when this CD was released.

The tracks are so beautiful. At once both haunting and rousing, they are highly evocative - of what is hard to describe. Of the excellent Robin of Sherwood itself, without question, but of a larger theme as well. Of an age that never was, perhaps. Of half-myth, half-reality (which is why the use of traditional sound and vocals with synthesizers works so amazingly well). Of unity, mystery, long-forgotten pagan gods, of hope, fear and love. I suppose the track titles speak for themselves - Strange land, Ancient Forest, Battles.

As well as being musically brilliant, this (like most of Clannad's superb repertoire) is the sort of album you can devote your full attention to enjoying, or simply play in the background. My favourite tracks are Ancient Forest, Together We and Strange Land, but there isn't a track on the album I dislike.

Buy it if you like Clannad, Robin of Sherwood, or astoundingly beautiful and stirring works of music.

The Sound Of One Hand Clapping
The Sound Of One Hand Clapping
by Fay Doxford

5.0 out of 5 stars Play that Fender Strat!, 25 Aug 2006
This is without question one of the most moving books I have ever read.

The characters are so vivid - at every turn of their complex lives, you really feel as though you are living their ups and downs with them.

And what ups and downs they are! Not only their exciting music superstar careers (and all the excesses and tribulations that implies), but the heartbreaking romances of Stephen, the main protagonist.

I can recommend this to anyone - male or female - who has ever loved the music industry, ever loved an excellently put together narrative, ever loved captivating characters, or has simply ever loved.

I find it hard to believe that this is a first novel - Doxford promises great things to come.

I was blown away; you will be, too.

A Knight's Tale
A Knight's Tale
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Great rock! But not much of Carter Burwell..., 12 Aug 2006
This review is from: A Knight's Tale (Audio CD)
Although this is, without a doubt, a great album for rocking out to, and is certainly redolent of the (excellent) film, I feel an affinity with Mr P J Curran (further up this page) when he bemoans the fact that the album doesn't have much of Carter Burwell's mediaeval stuff on it.

Fortunately, our oh-so-blessed cousins across the pond have just the thing: the actual score to A Knight's Tale on CD. I can't post the link, as per amazon.co.uk's guidelines, but if you go to amazon.com, and search for A knight's Tale in music, you should find it.

And if you buy the score and this great soundtrack, you can have the complete musical experience! It's certainly worth it, and if you like the movie, you won't want to be without the CDs.

Page: 1 | 2