Profile for Cinema4 > Reviews

Cinema4 (LA CA)

No More Stories
No More Stories
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice progression in sound, a bit too synth heavy for me., 11 Aug. 2009
This review is from: No More Stories (Audio CD)
This album is more an experiment in sound and arrangement than anything. Gone are the angsty streamlined instruments of Kites, replaced with more melodic, nearly narrative synth heavy tracks. So if you are expecting more Kites, you are not gonna find it here. I dont mind the change but its odd to me. It has their whimsical nature, but feels more produced than their previous releases. This album feels more comercial, like I can hear specific tracks on a coming of age film soundtrack, or playing in the background at an Ikea.
Edgy enough to be different, but safe enough so people dont feel uncomfortable by it.

M.O.R
M.O.R

3.0 out of 5 stars Who is this 'new girl'?, 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: M.O.R (Audio CD)
COULD NOT WAIT for this album! This is my favorite band of all time. LUV them. But I must say, this album is a bit off.

Im diggin the midwest American garage rock sound they are using, Im alright with the more old school country rock vibes as well, but to me, the female vocals on this album are atrocious.

Not only is 'Devlin Love' not suited for good a song like Fly (and others), she is just not of their style of music, and I cant understand her as an edition to the band. Her voice is nothing more than a blah manufactured pop vocal that you can buy on any dime a dozen pop album! I know shes done other songs on other albums, but I cant get into it this time! She sings background on some songs and its tolerable, but all in all...

Everything else is there. Every progression of style is there. Lyrics as well, on it! I can not believe now much her voice bothers me. I know I sound crazy, but that is what is so off the mark for me.

Vertigone
Vertigone
Offered by M & L UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh sound from an interesting band with a too common name, 3 April 2006
This review is from: Vertigone (Audio CD)
I have 2 albums by this band and I like their infusion of classical insturments with rock/ pop. Its a cleaner sound and very welcome. They have nuances that remind you of The Church, and New Order. But their sound is unique and will only get better with time. I just think their name is going to get them lost in the shuffle of all that is out there. I thought Vertigone was their name at first. That was the only way I could find the album. Searching for Venus gave me 500+ results. A hint? Maybe.

And The Glass Handed Kites
And The Glass Handed Kites

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great feeling album., 19 Jan. 2006
Pop use to be music of the time, emotional, contemporary, and good! Not tunes of the focus group. The hooks and lyrics and emotional response of this album, makes you feel good, energized, anxious, and optimistic. I MISS feeling that way about my music!
I LOVED their first album and spread it around to my friends like wildfire. Soon they were teling their friends and soforth.
I hope this band gets their due. A rare jem of pop with craft.

Outlaw
Outlaw

4.0 out of 5 stars A great progression in the band's evolution! Yummy., 26 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Outlaw (Audio CD)
Being in the US, I prolly wouldn't be able to get this album for 6 months to a year from now. Thanks Amazon.co.uk for speeding up that process! Those new to Alabama 3, this is a great starter album. Those who know the band, Outlaw is a great branch of the very diverse styles of A3 (their US name). They have returned to the country styles of their fist few albums, interlacing it with electronic beats, choir harmonies, and plenty of vocals. What a treat.
This album is more inspirational and upbeat then the wonderful heavy sounds of Exile and Le Paste. It doesn't feel as oppressive but more hopeful and optimistic. There are also a lot more guest singers on this record as well.
I do feel that some of their songs are are somewhat rethreaded, especially if you have heard the Last Train to Mashville volumes "Hello I'm Johnny Cash" and "Up Above My HEad"). Sadly, some of the gospel flavor that infused their first two albums, is less evident here, but if you are in the mood for some sweet sweet country with an eccentric edge, then you have fond your band.