Profile for Deman > Reviews

Brida
by Paulo Coelho
Price: 12.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something?, 22 Jan 2009
This review is from: Brida (Hardcover)
I would like to start by quoting Brida "izumi" who also left feedback on this book-

"For those who have never encountered his work before, BRIDA may be somewhat of a disappointment."
"I would imagine that there would be some people who cannot relate to this book at all, and so they may not take very much away from it."

This book bored me to death. I read it through waiting for something to happen and then with about 20 of the 244 pages left, it seemed that there might be something exciting. And I read on, and waited but alas, nothing. And his depiction of Irish rural life was laughable. But I did learn something from this extreme boredom... I'll know in future which author's books to stay away from. I'd give it less than 1/5 if I could give it half a star.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2009 12:07 PM GMT

Mother Tongue: The English Language
Mother Tongue: The English Language
by Bill Bryson

2.0 out of 5 stars Truth or Not?, 29 Mar 2008
I found, for the most part of reading, this book to be very entertaining and informative. I read a few other Bryson books in the past, about travelling etc... but as an English teacher, well TEFL teacher, I thought this would be a great book to use quotes from for anecdotes during my lessons.

The problem occurred near the start of chapter 14 (out of 16).

Quote:
"Some cultures don't swear at all..... The Finns, lacking the sort of words you need to describe your feeling when you stub your toe getting up to answer a wrong number at 2.00 a.m., rather oddly adopted the word ravintolassa. It means 'in the restaurant'."

This is utter, for lack of a better word, hevosenpaska (literal translation "Horse S**t"). I have NEVER in my 10 years living in Finland heard anyone shout out RAVINTOLASSA, unless of course there were too many people in the restaurant and the guy was shouting into his mobile saying where he is. The Finns have quite a few swear words in their vocabulary that can be heard way too often.

So this led me to thinking, "if this is so way off track when it comes to Finland, what about the rest of the book when he writes about cultures I'm not familiar with?"

This has taken the shine off what I thought was an excellent piece of writing and that's why I'm giving it 2/5.

Sorry
Comment Comments (27) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2014 2:41 AM BST

American Gods
American Gods
by Neil Gaiman
Price: 8.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Fasinating Read, 18 Aug 2006
This review is from: American Gods (Paperback)
I first read this book 2 and a half years ago and loved it then. I read it again last month during my summer holiday and loved it even more.

It's hard to put this book into any particular genre, a bit of sci-fi, a bit of fantasy, a bit of horror, a bit of erotisism and a bit of humour. All these together make a fantastic story written in a way that only Neil Gaiman knows how.

I'd never heard of Gaiman when I first got this book as a Christmas present but I'm glad I was introduced to him this way. Stardust, Neverwhere and then (after a short while) Anansi Boys soon followed.

A real page-turner all through the whole 600+ pages.