Profile for Ellenor Lacey > Reviews

Content by Ellenor Lacey

Ellenor Lacey "missismusic" (Lincs. GB)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
But Then Something Happened: A Story of Everyday Dementia
But Then Something Happened: A Story of Everyday Dementia

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Mar. 2015
Perhaps saying that I enjoyed this book is not quite appropriate, but I found it hard to put down. So little seems to be positively known about dealing with dementia and it is very interesting to read about the everyday lives of two people trying to live with the disease, and about their children's efforts to do the 'right' thing for them. As the daughter of someone who is displaying some worrying symptoms, it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one to feel that I'm desperately concerned yet completely unsure of what to do for the best. In years to come there will no doubt be medical guidelines, but my thanks to Chris Carling for her honesty - and for a very readable book.

The Darkest Hour
The Darkest Hour

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much enjoyed, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (Kindle Edition)
I have read most of Barbara Erskine's novels, and this book did not disappoint. She has the knack of sending real shivers down the spine - even when the reader is sitting in a sunny room, relaxing with a coffee. As someone who loves both history and ghost stories, Ms Erskine's books are always a treat for me.

First Steps to Living With Dementia (First Steps Series)
First Steps to Living With Dementia (First Steps Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and helpful, 18 Feb. 2015
As other reviewers have said, this book is easy to read and gives a helpful insight into the various forms of dementia. Although relatively little is known about the causes of this distressing condition, the book is not a depressing read. Research is underway and there is hope for the future.

Miramont's Ghost
Miramont's Ghost

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Miramont's Ghost (Kindle Edition)
I found this an enjoyable and unusual book. It is not a traditional ghost story, so don't expect shivers up the spine as you turn the pages, but it is beautifully written on the whole, with an almost fairy tale quality. Very appealing.

Wild Republic 30cm Cuddlekins Meerkat
Wild Republic 30cm Cuddlekins Meerkat

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 16 Jan. 2015
Gorgeous! And very good value. Really delighted.

Winter Solstice
Winter Solstice

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful seasonal read., 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Winter Solstice (Kindle Edition)
I have read this book many times, but have only just bought the Kindle copy. I love the story, which is beautifully written and carefully developed. It is cosy Christmas reading, but certainly not sickly sweet with its mixture of joy and tragedy. For me, the only down side is that the setting and characters are somewhat middle class, but I love it in spite of this and feel that it still deserves five stars.

60 x Christmas Smelly Stickers (Peppermint Scent)
60 x Christmas Smelly Stickers (Peppermint Scent)
Offered by Classroom Capers

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 13 Dec. 2014
My young piano students love these. Apparently they smell just like candy canes, so they fit the bill exactly. Good value for money.

Words of Woe, Words of Joy: Poems from mind and heart
Words of Woe, Words of Joy: Poems from mind and heart

5.0 out of 5 stars From the heart, 27 Nov. 2014
This is a book of moving poems which clearly come straight from the heart. As a fellow-sufferer of depression and anxiety I can relate to the emotions and sentiments expressed by Tom. Mental illness, whilst less stigmatized than in the past, is still understood by so few people. I hope other sufferers will also find this book helpful.

Lovecraft Collection ® Volume 1
Lovecraft Collection ® Volume 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly, spine-chillingly entertaining., 2 Nov. 2014
Knowing how much I enjoy horror stories, my son recommended this to me. It's true that the tale is very short, but I enjoyed it. I haven't read Lovecraft before, but this approach is very novel, and I think it would be a good introduction for youngsters, the language itself being a little archaic perhaps for modern readers. Very clever; I look forward to the next book.

From the Cradle (A Detective Lennon Thriller)
From the Cradle (A Detective Lennon Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, 29 Oct. 2014
I'm only half way through this book at present, but so far I'm very much enjoying it, so the five stars are for what I've read to date.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7