Profile for D. Bloomfield > Reviews

Content by D. Bloomfield

D. Bloomfield "Tail Chaser" (Warwick, UK)

Cotton Ironing Board Cover with foamback and drawstrings. Standard 102x43cm by Caraselle. Funtime design
Offered by CaraselleDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the elasticated ones, 1 Jun 2014
Yes, it is a bit fiddly to fit, and yes maybe the quality could be better but I am very, very pleased with my new ironing board cover.

I have been managing with an elasticated lump of, allegedly quality, replacement cover for about a year and I just had enough and went in search of something better. This one reminds me how the ironing board should work. I know longer have to worry about trying to tighten the cover with safety pins or worry whether the end will fall off when I stick a sleeve over it. Or try to push the creases out of the cover before I iron the creases out of the garment.

My new cover fits tightly across my board and the more I iron, the tighter and more fitted it is getting. It is nice and thin so the garments sit nicely on top and around the edges, but not so thin that the edges poke through and cause more creases. My original old, old fitted cover had a foam backing that eventually rotted but this is fleecy - a much better idea.

Overall, I wish I'd bought one ages ago!

Alice Parker's Metamorphosis (Alice Parker's Adventures Book 1)
Alice Parker's Metamorphosis (Alice Parker's Adventures Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, 28 Feb 2014
Reviewed by my 11 year old son:

This was a very good book. It is funny and interesting because of the way everyone acts.

The main character, Alice, turns from an everyday human girl into a Finwip (you need to read the story to find out what a Finwip is). This book describes her initial adventures as a Finwip.

The sequels are equally good.

(my son is unusually reticent about describing this book but he has read it from cover to cover countless times and wouldn't put it down for weeks. He enjoys science fantasy and stories with mythological characters involved. If you like Percy Jackson, Eragon and The Last Dragon Chronicles then you'll probably like this.)

Ladies Famous DUNLOP POPPY clog mule slippers PURPLE size 5 UK
Ladies Famous DUNLOP POPPY clog mule slippers PURPLE size 5 UK
Offered by The Slippers Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Look lovely and are comfy but..., 5 Sep 2013
These slippers remind me of Ermintrude, the cow in the Magic Roundabout and they look great but I'm not sure how long they will last. They are very comfortable and great for wandering in and out of the house. However, the lovely flowers started dropping off within hours of putting them on. I have had these just under a week and one flower has dropped off completely and one is losing a yellow bobble.
The other problem I have with them is that they feel very synthetic. My feet don't like synthetic fibres so I can wear them for long periods. They get very hot and sweaty inside the slipper. It is the summer but I'd expect them to breathe a bit more.
Much as I like the look of them I don't think I could buy them again, but they'll do for now.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack (Wii)
Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack (Wii)
Offered by filmrollen

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy children, 11 April 2013
The five star rating is what my two boys give it. I have no idea if it's any good as I've no intention of playing it, but if they like it then I'm happy. And they are very, very happy with it!! They wanted this version over the Skylanders Giants pack (they couldn't give me a reason why they prefered it, it could well be because everyone else wants Giants).

They have been asking for this for a while and saved up their own money for it. It comes with the game, 3 figures, a 'portal' and a usb stick for putting in the back of the Wii, various stickers and a chart of available Skylanders, to 'help' them with their next purchase... It also comes in a very sturdy box to store it all in, which pleased me the most as it's easy to tidy away under the sofa!

I have a feeling the youngest (7) will be playing it longer than the eldest (10) as I can't imagine it's cool to like Skylanders at secondary school, but I think there's a few years play in it for the youngest and his friends.

Cristina
Cristina

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicate masterpiece, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cristina (MP3 Download)
Fresh from the ashes of Pete & the Pirates, Teleman launch themselves onto the world with this beautifully delicate and restrained masterpiece of a tune.

Can't wait to hear more.

Panasonic DMCFS20 Digital Camera - Black (10.1MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD
Panasonic DMCFS20 Digital Camera - Black (10.1MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Top compact camera at a great price, 21 Jun 2011
I wanted a compact camera to replace my Canon, which is too big to carry around for too long and too heavy for my children to use. I've always wanted a Lumix because of it's superior Leica lens, so finding this model at a fantastic price was brilliant timing.

It has the same zoom spec as my Canon (4x) but with superior megapixels (10.1) and a very large LCD screen (3 inches). The only thing that concerned me was the lack of a view finder. This hasn't been a problem as the screen compensates the light levels so that it is still viewable even if the sun is streaming down upon it.

Once you have got used to the focus and where all the different options are, the photos it takes are sharp and just as good as a more professional camera. Certainly as good as my old, semi-professional, Canon.

My youngest son (5 yrs) finds it very easy to use and I've had to get an 8gb SD card to fit all his photos and videos (it doesn't come with a card but there is a small amount of internal memory). It is easy to connect to the PC with it's USB cable.

The only thing I now need to get for it is a spare battery. Because of the humungous screen the battery runs out quite quickly, so it would be useful to have a spare. However, the battery only takes a couple of hours to charge up.

Overall, we are very happy with our purchase and MagicDiscounts certainly delivered it very quickly.

Merrell Chameleon II Stretch Charcoal J83011U 11 UK Regular
Merrell Chameleon II Stretch Charcoal J83011U 11 UK Regular

2.0 out of 5 stars Tight fit even for narrow feet., 13 Jun 2010
I bought these shoes for my 8 year old who has very small, narrow feet. We do lots of walking and I have an adult pair of the same type, which I wear everyday, so they looked ideal for out of school wear. Not only are they good walking shoes, they can be used as a general sport shoe.

Unfortunately the shoes haven't lived up to my expectations. As a positive point, they are very sturdy, but perhaps they are a little too sturdy. As new they are very difficult to get on, especially for a small child. We had to return the first pair for a size bigger than my son's feet as we couldn't actually get the right one on (I do have to say that Amazon's return service is extremely good). Saying that though, he has had Merrells before and we have found them to be on the small side, so I wasn't too surprised. They do need quite a bit of breaking in before they feel really comfortable so beware if your child's feet grow quickly.

My son likes them because they look good but he doesn't enjoy wearing them. He still finds them tight, especially around the top of the foot (he has a high instep), although he has mastered the elastic lacing. Once he grows out of them I think we'll go back to Geox or Sketchers instead.

I can't say that I would recommend these, in fact so far I have been quite disappointed with Merrell's kids shoes/trainers. If your child has normal width feet, these would be hopeless. Merrell make great adult shoes but I don't think I'll be buying the kids versions again.