Profile for FJY > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Frankenstein Created Woman [DVD] [1967]
Frankenstein Created Woman [DVD] [1967]

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Hammer Horror film, 20 April 2015
There is one thing that continually irritates me about films released on DVD. It is when the cover of the DVD features stills from scenes that aren't even in the film, which to me is a bit of a con and can be misleading. This DVD blatantly uses one such image on the front of the box! It is the now famous image of Peter Cushing carrying a scantily-clad Susan Denberg, which surely everyone who has heard of this film must have seen at some point. If only this scene was in the film, maybe it would have boosted its profits! Anyway, onto the film itself. It was released in 1967 and was the fourth in the Hammer Frankenstein series and marked the return of legendary director Terence Fisher to the series, after the abysmal Evil Of Frankenstein, which he did not direct. This time, the Baron is working on soul transference, so there are no gory surgery scenes this time. Thorley Walters is amusing as his assistant, in one of his better Hammer appearances. I have always liked this film, it is very entertaining, but features very little gore or horror. Susan Denberg must also rate as surely Frankenstein's most attractive creation! I much prefer this film to the ones that came after it and I only regard The Curse Of Frankenstein and The Revenge Of Frankenstein as superior to it. It is one of my favourite Hammer films and was the film that first got me into Hammer Horror. I give it three stars, because it is very enjoyable and you could certainly do a lot worse. Anything is better than The Evil of Frankenstein, though.

Horrible Bosses 2 [DVD] [2015]
Horrible Bosses 2 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Jason Bateman

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 18 April 2015
I thought that the first film was okay, so I decided to try this sequel. What a mistake. I didn't laugh once through the entire film. Apparently, FHM magazine considers this to be "hilariously funny", according to the cover of the DVD, but that just made me wonder what drugs they had been taking when they reviewed it. If you enjoyed the first film, then I would just stick with that, watch it again and pretend that this film doesn't exist. I despair for the future of film comedies, if this is what we can expect in future. This film is about as funny as finding a wasp in your underwear. Just save your money and don't waste it on this rubbish, you will thank me later.

The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964]
The Evil Of Frankenstein (Blu-ray + DVD) [1964]
Offered by zoreno-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst Hammer Horror Films, 17 April 2015
I noticed that this film has mostly five-star reviews on Amazon, but I am sorry to say that I do not agree with them at all. This was Hammer's third in their Frankenstein series but, in my opinion, is also one of their worst. Only The Horror Of Frankenstein is worse than this and that didn't even have Peter Cushing to save it. However, Cushing plays the Baron in a completely different way in this film to the others in the series. Here, the Baron is presented as a whinging, moaning man, completely full of self-pity and persecution issues. I would have thought that he would completely understand why people persecute him, when you consider what he did. This film is also not written by Jimmy Sangster and it shows, because it completely disregards the previous films and sets up a whole new backstory for the Creature and The Baron, which totally ruins the continuity of the series. The production and sets are very good, granted, but I suspect this is only because it was backed by Universal Studios, so they probably had a bigger budget than usual. This partnership also explains the look of the Monster himself, which resembles Karloff for the first time, but doesn't look half as good. You will also be amazed at how many references to the Universal Frankenstein films you can spot in this film, even if some of them are less obvious. I give this film two stars, because of its continuity issues and the fact that it lacks Hammer's usual style and orginality. At least the next one, Frankenstein Created Woman, was an improvement, but then that would not have been difficult.

Every Breath You Take: The Singles
Every Breath You Take: The Singles
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, 16 April 2015
The Police were one of the best bands around in the late 70s and early 80s, in my opinion. They made some truly fantastic songs, most of which feature on this hits CD. There is hardly a bad track on this album at all and they are all classic tracks. Walking On The Moon was one of the very first singles that I ever bought, so I have extra fond memories of that song, in particular. This album was originally released way back in 1986, so it is an old album now, but it still packs a musical punch that most of today's rubbish could learn a thing from. I played this CD all the way through and I loved all of the songs, though it is a pity that the original version of Don't Stand So Close To Me was not included (this album contains the 1986 version of this song). However, it is still a superb CD and I give it the full five stars, because it is relatively flawless. Play it and let the memories come flooding back! They really don't make 'em like this anymore.

The Revenge of Frankenstein [DVD] [1958]
The Revenge of Frankenstein [DVD] [1958]

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring But Watchable Hammer Horror, 15 April 2015
This was the first Hammer sequel to The Curse Of Frankenstein and was released in 1958. Peter Cushing returned as The Baron, though there was no Christopher Lee this time, as his creature was destroyed at the end of the previous film. Francis Matthews, who later appeared in the Hammer films Dracula Prince Of Darkness and Rasputin The Mad Monk, appears here as Frankenstein's assistant, Dr. Hans Kleve. The film also features an appearance by Eunice Gayson, as Margaret Conrad, who would later go on to appear as Sylvia Trench in the first two James Bond films. This film is watchable, but it is not one of my favourites. Very little happens until the end, there is almost no horror to speak of and the creature in this film is about as terrifying as one of my bank statements. I personally find this film to be very boring and slow and I hardly ever watch it now. I regard it as one of the least impressive of the Hammer Horror films and only The Evil Of Frankenstein, which followed it, is worse than this. I give it three stars, because it is watchable, but hardly a classic. The Curse Of Frankenstein is worlds better than this, in every way.

Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Luke Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars This story should have stayed Untold..., 11 April 2015
This review is from: Dracula Untold [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I love Dracula films, so I was keen to see this film. Unfortunately, it was not how I anticipated it would be. This film makes Dracula out to be some kind of superhero warrior, who just happened to become a vampire, almost by chance. This film was wrong on so many levels and it was more like a fantasy film than a vampire film. However, I did notice the words "action adventure" as part of the text on the back of the case, so that should have forewarned me as to what to expect from this disappointing film. Dracula was not a good guy and this story was never intended to be portrayed as a "superhero" reboot type of film. Basically, this film takes all of those classic Dracula films that we love so much and proceeds to take a huge dump on their legacy. If you love any version of Dracula, then you will not enjoy this at all, unless you would like to see Dracula as a family man and hero. Dracula was always meant to be a vampire and that is the way that it should stay. I would stick with the old Hammer films if I were you, but then even the Coppola version is much better than this film. However, this film does have very good cinematography, sets and costumes, which is the only reason why I am giving it two stars. If you listen very carefully, that sound you can hear is Bram Stoker turning in his grave...

Ouija [DVD] [2014]
Ouija [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Olivia Cooke

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll Be "Board" If You Watch This, 2 April 2015
This review is from: Ouija [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I have to admit, I am sometimes quite easily persuaded to check out a film if it has an interesting trailer, which is the case with this film. However, I soon realised that I had made a terrible mistake and also wasted £10 of my precious money in the process. Basically, this film represents everything that is bad about modern horror films. It has no atmosphere, no suspense, a cast of mostly unknown, young, good-looking actors, a script full of cliches, very little actual horror and it is also extremely boring, hence the title of my review. Literally, nothing much happens for the first 50 minutes or so, then it speeds up a bit towards the end, but by then I had lost interest, anyway. Lin Shaye, who is something of a regular in these kinds of films, pops up in a couple of scenes, but that is all. A good horror film succeeds or fails on its mood and atmosphere, both of which are absent in this film. I can literally think of nothing that redeems this film at all, it can barely be described as a horror film and I am sure that it wouldn't even scare a 12-year old. If you want a good, scary, original horror film, then I suggest you keep looking, because this film will just disappoint you. One star from me, though I wish that I could give it less. Please, save your money and your time.

Diamonds are Forever [DVD] [1971]
Diamonds are Forever [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery
Offered by LuvFilmLuvMusic

2.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Worst Bond Films, 1 April 2015
This was originally released in 1971 and was Sean Connery's last official Bond film, after he was tempted back with a very substantial salary. However, if you ask anyone what their favourite Bond film is, I am pretty sure this film would never get a mention. I have never regarded this as one of the better Bond films, in fact, my opinion of it is quite the opposite. The film has a very boring plot, revolving around diamond smuggling and seemed a bit inappropriate for a British agent like Bond to be investigating. Connery also looks thoroughly bored throughout the film and it is easy to detect that his heart wasn't in it and he was doing it purely for the money. The two hitmen in the film, Wint and Kidd, are also too camp to be scary and are about as much of a physical threat to Bond as Hinge and Brackett. I also thought that the casting of Charles Gray as Blofeld was wrong, because he was much too mannered and charming to be the head of SPECTRE and he was no more menacing than Wint or Kidd. The Bond girls in this film are also nothing special. I know that a lot of people rave about Jill St. John as Tiffany Case, but she is nothing special to look at, in my opinion. The film was also another of the sillier Bond films, with some pretty cringe-inducing scenes, but then I think that the director, Guy Hamilton, seemed to specialise in the "silly" kind of Bond films, as his other Bond output proves. I am giving this film two stars, just for the presence of Connery and also for the title song by Shirley Bassey, which is also good. I cannot recommend this film to anyone, even staunch Bond fans would probably hate this. I suggest you check out any of the 60s Bond films, or any of the others that followed this and give this a wide berth, unless you desperately need it for your Bond collection. I can think of no other reason why you should buy this. For completists only.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service [DVD] [1969]
On Her Majesty's Secret Service [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ George Lazenby

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Action Scenes But Film Is Too Long, 19 Mar. 2015
This was George Lazenby's only Bond film and was released in 1969. I know that a lot of Bond fans hold this film in high regard, but it is not one of my favourites. I will list some of the reasons why. First of all, Lazenby was not a good actor, he was more known for being a male model and he could not act for toffee. He was extremely useless as Bond and I was not convinced by his performance at all. It is a blessed relief that he only made this one Bond film, in my opinion. I wonder what this film would have been like if Connery had done it. I also didn't like Telly Savalas as Blofeld, he was totally miscast and he acted more like a mobster than the head of SPECTRE. The film is also far too long, it runs for nearly 2 hours and 20 minutes and I felt every single minute of it when I watched it, because it seemed to go on forever. I think this was the longest Bond film made, before Casino Royale in 2006. However, the film does have some good points, namely the great action sequences, but there are not many of them and it seems to take an eternity to get to them. I also liked Louis Armstrong's song in the film, which I found haunting and really added to the mood of the film, because it was more of a love story than a traditional Bond film. It is a pity that the main title song is instrumental, though, which I think was unique, because every other Bond theme has vocals. However, although I am not a big fan of this film, it is watchable, but only to people who have a lot of patience and a lot of time on their hands. It is still better than the woeful Diamonds Are Forever, though and I give it three stars. Thank heavens that Lazenby only did this one....

You Only Live Twice [DVD] [1967]
You Only Live Twice [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Great, 15 Mar. 2015
This was Sean Connery's fifth Bond film and is one of my least favourites of the entire series. Connery looks bored throughout most of the film and he also does not convince me that he could pass as Japanese. The film was entirely shot in Japan and has some lovely photography of the country, which just about saves it. The theme song by Nancy Sinatra is also very nice and a personal favourite of mine. The now iconic volcano set by Ken Adam is still a wonder to behold, even today and must have blown audiences' minds back in the 1960s. However, the film does have other faults, namely Donald Pleasance's unintentionally comical performance as Blofeld and the fact that the film does drag terribly in places and seems much longer than it actually is. The inclusion of the also iconic Little Nellie also seemed surplus to requirements and only featured in one scene. I regard this film as Connery's second worst Bond film of the EON series, before the mediocre Diamonds Are Forever. However, I give this film three stars, because it is enjoyable in parts, but far from an essential purchase. I don't think that Connery ever bettered Dr. No or From Russia With Love, which were his finest Bond films, in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19