Profile for Mio > Reviews

Content by Mio

Mio

Ship of Fools Tarot: Based on the Art of Sebastian Brant's "Das Narrenschiff"
Ship of Fools Tarot: Based on the Art of Sebastian Brant's "Das Narrenschiff"
by Brian Williams
Edition: Cards

3.0 out of 5 stars Foolish game :-), 7 Feb. 2011
This is my first Tarot and I don't know much about Tarot in general, so I can't compare it with other designs yet or even judge the content:

+ I like the idea and realization,
+ the drawings are appropriate in my opinion, easy to read and not overloaded
+ it's simple, not tawdry, not colorful - just black and light yellow/beige (background)
+ the accompanying book is quite helpful (it contains descriptions of the cards, shows differences between classical tarot decks and the "Ship of fools" Tarot and gives you a short summary for the meaning of every card)
+ the price is okay
+ some suggestions for different styles of Tarot reading are described in the book
+ nice box for the game with nice typo...

- ... but a bit "thin" (the material, it's not very robust)
- I don't like the material of the cards that much. They are bigger in size than usual card games, this is nice, but the feeling of the cards is just the same (it's "polished" - I've seen another Tarot deck once, I think it was the A E White Tarot, which had kinda raw surface. I'd prefer this kind.).
- And I'd like it much better if the back of the cards were dark (maybe just inverted colors). So now the cards don't have a good visual contrast between front and back, it's just the same color and visual style.

In my eyes this Tarot deck isn't perfect but since I don't know a better one yet I don't regret buying this. :)