Profile for S. Kinsley > Reviews

S. Kinsley "samkinsley"

Tosta Mista
Tosta Mista

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and quirky rock n roll, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Tosta Mista (Audio CD)
This short album was my first introduction to the Hooded Fang, recommended to me by a barber during an opportunistic quick trim on the way into work recently. Their eclectic influences shine out not only from the music but also the album artwork. The album is punctuated by haunting interregnums of the "Big Blue" jangling guitar refrain that maintains the slightly unsettled feel of the album throughout. The rock n roll melodies are juxtaposed with a rawness in the recordings and the occasional unexpected chord progression that really keeps you listening. This album is both joyful and slightly unsettling. The shortness of the album definitely left me wanting more.

Torches
Torches

5.0 out of 5 stars Fostering feeling, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Torches (Audio CD)
I first encountered Foster the People in the tail-end of a music programme on US television while recovering from jetlag on my first day in San Francisco. The haunting sound of the chorus of 'Waste' made me sit up from my stupor and pay attention. In the coming days snippets of the single 'Pumped Up Kicks' leached from passing car windows and pounded out of Mission district coffee shops. Since that introduction, and then quickly buying Torches, I have really enjoyed more thoroughly exploring it. The album has a decent amount of variety across the tracks and yet there is a continuity of sound, which gives it a 'Foster the People' identity. I would agree that you do hear echoes of bands like Black Kids, Friendly Fires, MGMT and Vampire Weekend, but there is a definite Foster the People sound.

This is a feel good album, with plenty to make you want to move, but pay attention to the lyrics and you realise that bouncing along with you is a happy-go-lucky gunman or a street hustler. Torches is very probably going to be the sound of 2011 for me, its uniformly brilliant and hasn't yet failed to bring a big stupid grin to my face.