Profile for H. F. Day > Reviews

Content by H. F. Day

H. F. Day "francesday" (UK)

Digital Art Studio: Techniques for Combining Inkjet Printing with Traditional Art Materials
by Bonny Lhotka
Price: 18.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Most inspirational art book I own, 22 July 2008
This book is magnificent! It comes at the perfect time, when so many new techniques are available and it has just enough description to make you want to have a go without being prescriptive. The work of the three artists is inspirational and the book a beautiful thing in its own right. As a warning, though,for UK readers all materials are only described in US terms and US trade names, and I had to do a bit of work in finding UK equivalents.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2010 1:07 PM GMT

In A Good Light
In A Good Light
by Clare Chambers
Price: 7.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful characters and a great read, 11 April 2007
This review is from: In A Good Light (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by this author, but I shall immediately follow it with her other work. A story told through the eyes of childhood, but with great knowing about two fabulously eccentric and weird parents whom one really wants to meet, and an older brother with a complicated life and difficult future. Personally I don't usually like stories about childhood and growing up, but this one is a total exception and I loved every moment of it.

HP Standard Keyboard - Keyboard - USB - silver, carbonite
HP Standard Keyboard - Keyboard - USB - silver, carbonite
Offered by Gasteiner Technologies Ltd
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feel and a bargain too, 11 April 2006
I love this keyboard. It's light but strong, works instantly and has a nice feel to it. And it was cheap too.

Nighty Night - Series 1 [DVD]
Nighty Night - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Davis
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 4.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in small doses, 11 April 2006
I enjoyed the original series on TV, but watching it all in one go it gets a bit repetitive. However, you can't really fault the cringe-factor throughout, and the superb observation, especially the little scenes at the hairdresser. Clever stuff but needs to be watched in small chunks.

Meet The Fockers [DVD]
Meet The Fockers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable with some good laughs, 30 Mar 2006
This review is from: Meet The Fockers [DVD] (DVD)
Better than I expected, due to the restrained performance by Ben Stiller who can often go too far over the top for my tastes. The ending seemed unsatisfactory, as if there were a couple of scenes missing. Also not sure whether I would have enjoyed it better if I had seen Meet the Parents before.
Streisand's performance is wonderful, as is DeNiro's and they looked as if they enjoyed making the movie.

Davina: Power of 3 [DVD] [2004]
Davina: Power of 3 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall
Price: 7.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for Davina fans only, 24 Nov 2005
I found this a very unprofessional video. If you are used to the American style workouts particularly, then you will hate this. There's no flow and very little instruction - so maybe not good for beginners either. Then you have to put up with all the silly comments and jokes - they might sound amusing the first time, but what about when you have played it for the 50th time?
It completely lacks direction, and with just three people in the studio there's no sense of action. Sometimes Davina just sort of wanders around pretending she found the last bit hard, and I still don't know why the bloke's there at all!

Dreamweaver 4 Hands on Training (Lynda.Com Hands on Training)
Dreamweaver 4 Hands on Training (Lynda.Com Hands on Training)
by Garo Green
Price: 26.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hands-on training for any software product, 30 Sep 2001
This is quite simply the best self-paced training book I have used yet! So many books on "how to use" software amount to nothing more than a manual for people who already know what they want to do. This allowed me to gain immediate insight not just into "how" but "why" I would want to use features of Dreamweaver. I feel completely confident now that I can create useable and attractive web pages from this book alone. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Whistling for the Elephants
Whistling for the Elephants
by Sandi Toksvig

5.0 out of 5 stars I got to the last page and turned straight back to page one, 13 Mar 2001
This is the first book which has ever had this effect on me. I was so disappointed to have reached the end and to have to leave the magic behind that I simply turned back to the first page and carried on reading. And I had to force myself not to do exactly the same thing again afterwards. But I will re-read it, I am certain.
The atmosphere that Sandy creates is amazing, peopled with such strange and eccentric characters, but every one of them totally believable and many of them wonderful role models.
I bought this book thinking it would be a light, funny read and discovered a masterpiece. It has its funny, even surreal moments, but ultimately it is a book with plenty to say about the strength of women and our relationship to animals.
I couldn't recommend this book highly enough, and if there were 6 stars available, it would get them.