Profile for Spanner man > Reviews

Content by Spanner man

Spanner man (UK)

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 Keyboard and Mouse Set - UK Layout

2.0 out of 5 stars Too gimmicky - no proper function keys and sharp case edges. Poor design, 7 Sept. 2013
The keyboard is too gimmicky - there are no proper function keys, only "F-Lock" selectable keys that are very small compared to a professional keyboard. There are more gimmicky keys down the left hand side of the case - these make it wider than a standard keyboard, so the ctrl, shift, etc. keys aren't where you expect them to be. The top of the keyboard case has sharp plastic edges - this is a very poor design and not what I would expect from a Microsoft product.

Both the mouse and keyboard have no on/off switch so the batteries will drain overnight - how did no one think of that at the design stage?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2013 8:01 PM BST

The Hungry Cyclist: Pedalling The Americas In Search Of The Perfect Meal
The Hungry Cyclist: Pedalling The Americas In Search Of The Perfect Meal
by Tom Kevill Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent blend of cycling, travel and food, 10 Dec. 2009
A very good cycling travel book with an appealing food theme. I'm still not sure about those guinea pig photos though.

Don't worry if you're not interested in food - there are lots of other activities and adventures and it stands alone as a good travel book in its own right. I thought it was well written, with good use of humour and excellent descriptions of Tom's different environments and challenges.

Definitely worth buying

British Garden Birds 2010 Wall Calendar
British Garden Birds 2010 Wall Calendar
by BrownTrout Publishers Ltd
Edition: Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of these birds might not be in your British garden, 28 Nov. 2009
I ordered this as a Christmas present. I don't know much about birds but I had a quick look at it and didn't recognise January's bird of the month so I looked it up (Bohemian Waxwing). According to the RSPB, you won't be seeing one in most of England or Wales: "usually seen on the east coast from Scotland to East Anglia".

I'd heard of a Stonechat (October) but didn't think they were all that common in your average garden either. RSPB: "coastal sites, especially in southern and western counties"

So if you live on the UK East coast, it does what it says on the tin. The other 10 months show common UK wide garden birds - even I recognise them.

Central Heating: Installation, Maintenance and Repair
Central Heating: Installation, Maintenance and Repair
by Patrick Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent technical reference, 12 Nov. 2009
I bought this book along with two other "big name" DIY titles and this was the most useful by far - I don't even refer to the other two any more. You don't get any colour diagrams or photos but you do get lots of detailed, technical information that is well structured and easy to understand. There are some odd spelling mistakes (as if the wrong word has been selected by a spell checker) but in practice, it makes no difference to the sheer value of this book.

It also looks to have a comprehensive wiring section but I haven't studied this as I've already re-wired my entire system, so I can't provide detailed feedback.

I would reccommend this book to anyone who wants to understand how their central heating system works or what might be wrong with it - even if you just want to be more knowledgeable when talking to a heating engineer or plumber.

I'm only a DIY reader so I can't really give a detailed technical appraisal. However, it seems to be up to date (published in 2008 at the time of this review) and differentiates well between older systems (eg floor mounted, low resistance boilers) and current equipment and practices (eg combi boilers). I have found it to be an excellent source of information.

Ten Lessons from the Road
Ten Lessons from the Road
by Alastair Humphreys

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong title?, 2 Sept. 2009
I bought and read Alastair's first two books ("Moods of Future Joys" and "Thunder and Sunshine") and thoroughly enjoyed them both - especially the second one. Therefore when I saw ten lessons from the road, I bought it immediately.

However, I thought that a book entitled "Ten lessons from the road" might have contained some valuable gems of advice, based on Alastair's experiences of actually surviving ON the road for so long. Maybe Alastair's "don't make the same mistakes that I did" notes, or some examples of emergency bike repair and maintenance when hundreds of miles from the nearest bike shop, or how to deal with customs officials at difficult border posts?

The problem for me is that this is not a book of lessons FROM the road; it is ten "pre-road" motivational chapters to encourage people to go and do whatever it is they dream of doing. That's no bad thing and I don't want to be too hard on Alastair for trying to encourage people to live their own dreams, but I've already done my long distance bike trip so I certainly wouldn't have bought this book if I'd known it was all "pre-road" and not "post-road".

Another small point - just feedback for the publishers really, but why doesn't the contents page show the page numbers? I found it a bit confusing to navigate through at first.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2011 1:43 PM BST

The Full English: Pedalling Through England, Mid-life Crisis and Truly Rampant Man-flu
by Mike Carden

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 May 2009
I found this to be very disappointing - not particularly interesting or funny. For a cycling book, far too much space was taken up by pages of local history on the towns cycled through. I can see that this could appeal to some readers, but if I wanted to read about English history, I would buy a history book. The constant conversations between the author and his bike "Scott" sum up the whole book for me - I just found it to be very light weight. I ended up scanning rather than reading, until I found something interesting.