Profile for Charlie Peacock > Reviews

Charlie Peacock

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag  [Download]
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag [Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Grrr..ARgg...PIRATES, 13 Feb. 2014
I have to say I was sorely disappointed with AssCreed 3, but this one is epic - who wouldn't love to sail around as a pirate, eh?! Bravo!

A Quest of Heroes (Book #1 in the Sorcerer's Ring)
A Quest of Heroes (Book #1 in the Sorcerer's Ring)

1.0 out of 5 stars This is awful, 13 Feb. 2014
Full of plot holes, terrible pacing, and awful writing. Constant repetition is counterpointed with a complete lack of depth from any of the characters. I found the grammar and wording very confusing, and the amount of typos made me feel like it's been proofread by MS Word spellcheck. All in all, everything that's shoddy about a self-published title...

Ready Player One
Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - what a great book!, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Ready Player One (Paperback)
Everything you need in a cyberpunk book - sticking it to the man; dystopia; a dysfunctional protagonist who is fundamentally flawed, AND at the same time you have this great raft of nerd tropes and trivia all the way back to the origin of gaming. This book combines the darkness of a failing near-future civilisation with a huge nostalgia trip (especially for 80s movies and games) to make a massively engaging and enthralling book.

I read this in less than a week - an escapist's dream.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for almost all areas..., 29 Nov. 2012
I bought this primarily to save me the pain of shaving off my moustache after Movember with a normal razor, and I really like it - it's cheap, gives you some good designer stubble, allows you to shape sidies, facial hair and trim your neck. It is a bit hard to reach the old barse though...so only 4 stars.

Looking forward to removing my 'tache in a couple of days!

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (PC DVD)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Enhanced Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars They've made the sexytimes better!!!, 29 Nov. 2012
Let's be honest, the main thing every teenage boy remembers about the first one is the sexy side-quest, and the main fap-stration was the blurry background scene and the less than adequate playing card you got.

Well, now you get to see boobies and everything!

Happy day!

Texts From Dog
Texts From Dog
by October Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Texts From Dog (Hardcover)
I have to say I've been following 'Texts from Dog' for a while, and yet I still bought the book. Some of the texts still make me p*ss myself, and the anthropomorphism is spot on!

I would thoroughly recommend this as a stocking filler or a present for a dog-loving distant relative (given that the price is on the back they'll know how much you spent on them...).

1000 Watts Ultra Slim Panel Convector Heater 24Hr Timer Adjustable Thermostat (Free Standing Or Wall Mounted)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a small room, 29 Nov. 2012
I live in the box room of my shared house, and there was damp in there. I bought this heater to combat this, and it's worked a treat! I no longer have damp patches on my walls, and I've set the timer so that it's lovely and warm when I wake up and when I get home from work. Smells a bit funky sometime, though I think that'll go after a bit of use...not sure!?

I imagine you'd need a bigger one for much more than a small room.

Guinness World Records 2012
Guinness World Records 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars D. J. Sienkiewicz wrote this for the 2011..., 19 Sept. 2011
...has he even read it this year, do you think? Same title, very similar content. I'm thinking there might be some ulterior motive here...!?

"How the mighty have fallen, 7 Nov 2010
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2011 (Hardcover)
The Guinness Book of Records used to be an essential item in the home, you'd get it for Christmas and for all the next year you could dip into it and find the record holder for anything you could think of.

Not any more, the current book is a shadow of it's former self, lots of nice pictures I grant you, but it's utterly selective about what records it lists.

And then commercial interests stick their oar in, for example, I really enjoy the X-Games and all extereme sport, but having its own section in the book and categories like 'most x'games titles' is just plain ridiculous.

Just try to find a record like, highest speed by a downhill skier, that must be in surely, you'd think so, and a real book of records would have it.

So sad, it used to be definitive, now its just pretty. "
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2011 11:01 PM BST

The Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Wordsworth Classics)
by Alexandre Dumas

4.0 out of 5 stars Wordsworth edition pain!, 16 Dec. 2010
Overall a brilliant story, couldn't put it down! The only issue comes from the publishers in the Wordsworth edition, who have put in reference notes at the back of the book, so that each time you see a superscripted number next to a word, then you have to flip to the back of the book to find the relevant information.

For the most part this is incredibly useful, as there are a lot of historical and mythological quotes which the average reader (including myself) would otherwise have no idea about. However, there are also a fair number of references which just comment on the errors that the translator has made, and which a small alteration in the text itself could resolve. This in turn would then prevent the reader from wasting time and completely losing the flow of the story while having to faff around in the back of a book to be told about an error that wasn't even in the original french text!

For example, when the translator enters the incorrect name of a couple of characters there is just a number next the the name in the body text, and you have to slog to the back to find the ref:

"(p. 255) 'Albert had already made' - Dumas's text (correctly) gives 'Franz' [as the subject's name]."

Why not just change the name in the text from 'Albert' to 'Franz'?

It seems that the editors at Wordsworth are holding the translator's words in the same regard as the author's (whose writing contains all sorts of errors), and so deign them too sacred to alter.

As someone who works in the publishing industry, I am aware there is often a struggle between common sense/readability and adhering to an original source for reasons of copyright, veracity and so on. It's a struggle I feel that the people at Wordsworth have lost convincingly.

I thoroughly recommend this book to everyone based on the story, but if you are thinking of buying this book, I wouldn't buy this edition, I would certainly buy a different translation and also consider a different publishing house.

See Pen Name's comment below!

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE NEW EDN: A Perspective on Film Editing
IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE NEW EDN: A Perspective on Film Editing
by Walter Murch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book, 30 Nov. 2010
I am a print editor with an interest in getting into film/video editing, so by no means a professional but I certainly have some knowledge of how a book should work. The obvious enthusiasm of Murch's prose cannot help but rub off on those who read his book. At the same time the imagery of his metaphors and analogies further increase the readability of the text, as well as it having a very well structured format.

I would highly recommend this text to anyone who just wants to dip into the film editing world as an amateur, it's short, well-written and still contemporary despite it's being written,, initially, 30 years ago.

C