Profile for djenkins3 > Reviews

What Not To Wear
What Not To Wear
by Susannah Constantine

5.0 out of 5 stars Education for a Stupid man, 20 Nov. 2002
This review is from: What Not To Wear (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my wife , for her birthday in fact because she loves the T.V. show. Now she loves the book as well.
I even found myself sneaking a look at this book. Now anytime I buy things for my wife or even for me I find myself following the Trinny and Susie "Rules" .
For men get this book (even if you do'nt admit to it)
For Ladies the tips work for Men as well but this book will increase your confidence in retail therapy

The Charm School
The Charm School
by Nelson DeMille

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Nov. 2002
This review is from: The Charm School (Paperback)
Take a trip back to the USSR in the 1980's . The temperature was cold and there was a complete lack of trust between the super powers of Russia and USA . You are taken on a historical trip , learn of the culture , learn of repression and yet are still treated to a wonderful thriller.
It is a cliche to say that a book is a page turner but when I put this book down for any time at all I found myself questioning the motives of every character . It was almost like looking over my own shoulder and I could not wait to see what happened next.
A fantastic read, better than any Cold war spy novel I have ever read (and I read a lot)
Buy this book and give yourselve a treat

Four Iron in the Soul
Four Iron in the Soul
by Lawrence Donegan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Title Better book, 16 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Four Iron in the Soul (Paperback)
If you have ever wanted to get inside the mind of a tour caddy or professional read this book now. All aspiring professionals should be forced to read this book before committing to a life on tour.
If you are a golf fan this book is a must. If however you just want a good , interesting and insightful read again this book will hit the spot.
Follow this up bt reading "A good walk spoiled by John Feinstein"
A great present for someone

Playgrounds of the Gods: The Fulfilment of a Sporting Fantasy
Playgrounds of the Gods: The Fulfilment of a Sporting Fantasy
by Ian Stafford

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy , Buy , Buy ., 16 Nov. 2002
Looking for a Christmas Present or a want to treat someone to a great read look no further.
If you have ever played a sport at any level get this book as quickly as you can. Mr Stafford writes in a style which could not fail to impress. As for the fulfilment of his sporting fantasies this book is wonderful ,witty, moving and provides an armchair sportsman's insight into sports as diverse as rowing and boxing. Every chapter is to be savoured and I am sure like me you will end up telling your friends about this book. Even my lazy brothers who read about 1 book a year devoured this book and passed it on
Brilliant.

Forty Words for Sorrow
Forty Words for Sorrow
by Giles Blunt

4.0 out of 5 stars So well written I can feel the Chill., 14 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Forty Words for Sorrow (Paperback)
My first Giles Blunt book but certainly not my last.
An interesting story , well written with a nice spin of being set in freezing conditions in Canada. This gives an edge to the story and lends itself to interesting issues , such as thawing of bodies etc prior to autopsies.
Overall a good read and I look forward to more from the same author

Fruit of a Poisonous Tree
Fruit of a Poisonous Tree
by Norm Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough, 14 Nov. 2002
One star for the title , one for the cover and one for the paper texture , None for the tedious , disjointed mess of a story. The book needs a good edit , a better proof reader and less sub-plots. I finished it and was left feeling dis-satisfied. Near the end boredom rather than suspense was my prevailing thought. Hopefully the writer can develop and improve but unfortunately there is such a need

Hungry Ghost
Hungry Ghost
by Stephen Leather

4.0 out of 5 stars Great storylines, 14 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Hungry Ghost (Paperback)
As usual with Stephen Leather very readable and enjoyable. Geoff Howells CIA hit man is brought out of retirement to kill Chinese Mafia leader Simon Ng. Along the way he kidnaps Ngs daughter and therein lies my problem with the book . Sophie Ng is locked in a toilet on a boat for most of the book and yet forgottem about in the book for large sections. However still a great read.

Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2)
Die Trying: (Jack Reacher 2)
by Lee Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Jack Reacher is the Best, 14 Nov. 2002
Jack Reacher is bundled into a car along with Holly Johnson , FBI agent and the Presidents goddaughter. Chained together and locked in the back of a van they undergo a 2000 mile journey across America. At their destination they are kept hostage as a strange cult declare independance on America
Good themes , Strong on plot , well worth the read

Tripwire: (Jack Reacher 3)
Tripwire: (Jack Reacher 3)
by Lee Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Is Jack Reacher going Soft ?, 8 Nov. 2002
For those who are fans of the Jack Reacher books there appears to be a difference in his character in this book. He even thinks about living in a house instead of roaming the USA. However as usual Lee Child has come up with a great read. Reacher is a very believable hero , added to which Lee Child's talent for suspense and you have a super book which keeps the interest and pace to the end.

Absolute Power
Absolute Power
by David Baldacci

5.0 out of 5 stars Baldacci Surprise me, 8 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Absolute Power (Paperback)
Having read The Last Man Standing and finding it to be a reasonably enjoyable read I stared this book with lowish expectations. Soon into the book I realised that I had seen the film of the book and my expeectations fell even further. However I wasdelightfully surprised at how good this book was. I thouroughly enjoyed it , found it accomplised , well paced and far better than the film. Absolute Power - Absolutely worth reading
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2013 3:22 PM GMT