Profile for C. DeMario > Reviews

Content by C. DeMario

C. DeMario "crystalg75" (Drexel Hill,PA)

Patience
Patience
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience pays off, 22 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Patience (Audio CD)
My review may be tinged a bit with bias since I am a fan, and yet I still have to admit there are highs and lows to this album.
“Patience” has been a virtue that I was slow in developing when it came to waiting for this album. After listening to this album many times in the last few days, I feel justified in the wait. This album is filled with both songs for your soul and toe tapping tunes for your feet.
Of the 15 tracks “Amazing” and “Flawless” should get plenty of airplay (I hope) as they are the strongest dance/pop hits that will stick in your head long after the song is done. If you can move beyond the controversy of “Shoot the Dog” you will also find yourself swaying to the beat.
I received this CD just a few short days ago and already the slow songs that moved me at the beginning not only continue to do so, but I have found nuances in the other songs. “Patience” is almost a biographical account of George Michael’s life starting with “Round Here”, (a number about how he came to be in the singing world) “Please send me Someone” and ode to his deceased partner Anselmo, which I might add was performed brilliantly. No hint of sappiness that would have mired this song down heavily. “American Angel” is for his current Texan partner, and even now the chorus still remains imbedded “American angel, doesn’t want to fight (doesn’t need to fight). Even “Precious Box’ has a haunting quality with Michael’s vocals.
As a fan one can argue that more is better, and yet the sparseness of his albums adds to the overall package. I walked away feeling that I received much more than I paid for.

The Wish List
The Wish List
by Eoin Colfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem, 5 May 2003
This review is from: The Wish List (Hardcover)
Eoin Colfer may be best known for his "Artemis Fowl" series, but I myself will highly recommend this book as well. Its a delightful romp between Heaven & Hell and all points in between. The protagonist is Meg Finn, a young woman who has found herself in the company of Belch, himself a seasoned juvenile delinquent. What was to have been an easy job, break into an old pensioners flat to find some money, ends up being the last job for both of them, alive that is. Belch has no redeemable qualities and is sent straight to hell where he finds himself with starlets, computer programmers and good ole Beelzebub himself. Meg is not such an easy person to figure out. Equal parts good and bad, she has one last chance to redeem herself--and ironically enough it is with the old pensioner she set out to rob. I genuinely enjoyed the skewed humor, and watching Meg develop a mutually inclusive fondness for the man she is trying to help.