Profile for Strawberry_Thief > Reviews

Offered by Bradford Bathroom Company
Price: 18.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 8 May 2014
This review is from: 3 TIER CHROME SHOWER CADDY
Not much to say really - looks like wot it does in the picture and is decent quality. Room for lots of things - great when living in a house-share.

Art: The Whole Story
Art: The Whole Story
by Stephen Farthing
Price: 13.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent place to start, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Art: The Whole Story (Paperback)
I bought this book as, being an utter philistine, I know absolutely nothing about art and wanted to educate myself a little.

The layout of this book is superb, with an comprehensive overviews of different periods and movements, artists of note and focal points on various paintings, as well as a really interesting and helpful timeline. I am thrilled with it.

My only criticism is that women seem to massively under-represented, although that's perhaps a criticism of the art world at large rather than just this book.

The Relate Guide To Sex In Loving Relationships (Relate Series)
The Relate Guide To Sex In Loving Relationships (Relate Series)
by Sarah Litvinoff
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and thoughtful, could use a little more citation perhaps, 4 Feb 2014
My partner and I are slowly working our way through this book and, even in the first chapter it's encouraged us to get a lot of stuff out in the open and understand a bit more about ourselves and the situation we're in. Every few pages there are tasks and talking points and, although difficult and tiring, it's a really helpful way of engaging with the points in the book and, crucially, with each other.

My only criticism is the lack of citation for a lot of the 'facts' given in this book. For example, if I'm being told that my early childhood experiences shape my adult sexuality, I'd like to know who said that, why and what kind of clinical trials were undertaken to establish that as fact. That may just be the Ben Goldacre fan in me, though! I imagine that the lack of clinical background is probably a good thing for the vast majority of people - the extra reading might be a little daunting otherwise.

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
by John Williams
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars An unremarkable life, 31 Jan 2014
Unable to miss the hype received by this book of late, I bought myself a copy to curl up with over Christmas.

Stoner is the story of William Stoner; a quiet, stoic man who makes his way through a difficult life in an unremarkable manner. Yet, he is remarkable. His quiet passions, uncelebrated victories and muted achievements are so beautifully and poignantly written that, rather than seeing them as dull, it instead encourages one to see the remarkable in the every day actions of our lives.

The writing is superb and I finished the book feeling like I'd lost an old friend. I suspect I'll re-read it a time or two more.

The Complete Cosmicomics (Penguin Translated Texts)
The Complete Cosmicomics (Penguin Translated Texts)
by Italo Calvino
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical and wonderful, 2 Dec 2013
I bought this after reading 'Why E=MC2 and Why You Should Care' by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. In a chapter dealing with the conservation of angular momentum, they mention a short story called 'The Distance of the Moon', which is the opening story in this collection.

The whole book is touching, weird, funny and moving. It's more of an experience than a book - you just have to kind of let it wash over you and enjoy the sheer oddness of it all, rather than trying to understand every sentence.

To Kill A Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition
To Kill A Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition
by Harper Lee
Price: 3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to re-read, 27 Nov 2013
I studied this novel for my GCSE English literature 10 years ago (can it really be that long?!) and it's stayed with me ever since, although I've never re-read it. I'm very much looking forward to curling up in front of the fire (halogen heater) this December and re-discovering the first novel that made me stop and think, 'Wow...'.

Set in Alabama in the thirties, the primary storyline is that of the rape accusation made against Tom Robinson (a black man) by Mayella Ewell (a white girl). Although the accusation is very clearly false, the court case surrounding it throws into sharp relief the racism of the era and the injustices perpetrated at its hands.

More than that, though, it's a story of the judgements and prejudices inherent within every society - she's a horrible old lady, Boo Radley is crazy, he's an alcoholic - and the realities that go on behind closed doors.

The whole thing is told through the eyes of Scout, the young daughter of Atticus Finch, the lawyer assigned to defend Tom. It is her experience of becoming aware of racism and prejudice for the first time and we see her learn that things people say aren't always rights, and the things that are right aren't always easy. Just as moving is the version of her 'old' father that she discovers throughout the novel - an intelligent, fair, compassionate stoic and just man.

The phrase 'ahead of its time' is such a cliché but... well...

Blue is the Warmest Color (Blue Angel)
Blue is the Warmest Color (Blue Angel)
by Julie Maroh
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and moving, 8 Nov 2013
Stayed up too late last night and in bed too late this morning to read this.
A tale of first love, prejudice (both from external and internal sources), identity and what it is to be happy.
The story is beautiful, equally so the artwork.

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Something Wicked This Way Comes
by Ray Bradbury
Price: 6.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it, settled for quite like it, 13 Aug 2013
This book was given to me as a gift, by someone I think highly of, especially when it comes to how well-read they are, so I really, really wanted to love this (and I tried a lot harder to than I do with most books because of it).

But, alas, the love never came. I did, though, reach a stage of quite-liking it.
At first, the prose was so ornate as to weight the book down - every sentence had to be deciphered and as such, it was hard to get into the swing of it. But, on that front, do stick with it because as you get used to the writing style, you get into a sort of rhythm and it becomes much easier to read.

In terms of plot, for me it took a while to get going. It was a bit slow and, along with the heavily embellished style of writing, was a bit of a struggle to plough through. At the beginning I merely persevered, but in the middle I was genuinely interested and wanted to know how it ended. The description of the first encounter with the Sand Witch is incredibly eerie and I really enjoyed her as an unsettling character. Sadly, though, the ending struck me as a little flimsy. Despite this, the second half of the book was still an enjoyable read - gripping enough to keep me turning the pages, if not as wholly satisfying as a good book ought to be.

The relationship between Charles and Will Halloway, which we get to see develop as the two males, young and old, learn about each other and themselves, is truly touching and the ending in that respect is charming and heart-warming.

All in all, I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't put it at the top of your list.

2098 Women's Neon zebra Print Leggings
2098 Women's Neon zebra Print Leggings
Offered by clubcorsets
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but not durable!, 30 Oct 2012
I got these for a Hallowe'en costume (rainbow zebra!) and they looked great; really brightly coloured.
However, the fit wasn't great as they were a bit too big and I ended up with an MC Hammer crotch thing happening which wasn't a good look. Despite being too loose in the crotch region, they also developed a hole there.
Fine for a night if that's all you need, but not for frequent wear.
The seller (clubcorsets) were great, though, no problems there.

Esky™ 10ft Blue Neon Luminescent Electroluminescent Wire (EL Wire)-Cool Glow Wire for Decoration & Party

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for festivals!, 25 Oct 2012
I ordered this ahead of Bestival 2012 - it was originally a very effective part of my jellyfish costume but ended up as a necklace. The batteries didn't run out at all even though I had it turned on for ages and it was great for helping people find my group of friends in a crowd! It has three different speeds (no flashing, medium, fast) and a little clip on the battery pack to attach it to waistlines, bras etc. A great buy for costumes.

Page: 1 | 2