Profile for B & H > Reviews

Content by B & H

B & H (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Three Mobile Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Standard SIM for 3G Tablets

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well in a MiFi device, 2 Dec 2014
It's a shame that the price on Amazon of the 3GB data SIM cards from 3 rose from about £12 to about £20 in the space of a few months between 2013 and 2014. However, the cards work well in MiFi devices. For heavier data use while travelling in "Feel At Home" countries the price of top-ups is not too bad (£25 for 7GB lasting up to a month, for example) allowing several devices to connect simultaneously to the internet.

Merrell Moab Leather Waterproof, Men Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Dark Earth), 12 UK (47 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tight fitting but reassuringly stout, 2 Dec 2014
I normally buy size 10 or 11 shoes. For the first time ever when buying these I had to go to size 12. Even at this size they are still fit snugly. However, I like the style very much and expect to wear them not just for hiking but as every day shoes.

Fujitsu SV600 ScanSnap Document Scanner
Fujitsu SV600 ScanSnap Document Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with this scanner, 13 Aug 2014
I am very pleased with this scanner.

The SV600 is proving very useful for documents that are too large or too stiff to go through a sheet feeder and, above all, for books. The ability of the scanner and the accompanying software to straighten scans of books, even where there is a deep crease near the spine, is most impressive.

One thing that concerned me before I bought the scanner was that the maximum thickness for books was specified to be 30mm, however I have been able to scan books up to about 50mm thick satisfactorily.

I have also found that the scanner is able to scan documents considerably larger than A3. The specification indicates a maximum of 432mm x 300mm. However I have been able to scan documents slightly over 470mm x 340mm.

I briefly tried the finger-removal facility but found it too cumbersome. Instead, I have found that it is very useful to hold a sheet of glass down over the book (to hold it in place and to reduce the curvature as much as possible) or document (to flatten out any creases). The glass I have is about 500mm x 380mm x 3mm. This seems to do the job effectively. I found that setting a pause of 5 seconds between the completion of one scan and the start of the next in practice allows enough time to lift the glass, turn the page and put the glass back down again.

I have encountered a slight drawback with the software. After you have finished scanning a batch of pages you are asked to choose whether to work with the flat image "as is" or whether to work with it as a book in order to straighten the curved image and, if desired, to split left and right pages into separate images. The problem is that if you inadvertently choose the wrong option there seems to be no way to go back, so you have to start the scan again. If you have just scanned several pages of a book this can be rather annoying!

About a week after purchase I encountered a problem with the automatic update of the software. I found Fujitsu's UK telephone support staff to be extremely helpful.

Blue Guide Paris and Versailles (10th edn) (Blue Guides)
Blue Guide Paris and Versailles (10th edn) (Blue Guides)
by Ian Robertson

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for art lovers, 21 Jun 2013
On a recent trip to Paris I had access to several guide books and this was the one I carried with me every day, especially for its comprehensive descriptions of museums and churches.
Current Blue Guide editions have adopted a more spacious layout and include colour photographs; I prefer older editions (such as this) because I like the slightly more compact size and the absence of photographs which could spoil the enjoyment of seeing things for the first time.
Some Paris museums, not least the Louvre, have been radically reorganised in recent decades; this edition is new enough for its descriptions to take account of most of these reorganisations.
The only reason I have given 4 stars rather than 5 is that this edition lacks the star ratings included in older Blue Guides; although this edition goes part of the way by using italics and bold text these are not quite as helpful as the star ratings in other Blue Guides.

Marware C.E.O. Hybrid Case for the New iPad 3 - Black
Marware C.E.O. Hybrid Case for the New iPad 3 - Black
Offered by DiscountDiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way, 21 Jun 2013
I have tried several iPad cases and this does everything I could possibly require of it. It protects the iPad well and allows me to stand the iPad up at different angles according to what I want to do. Well worth the money.

France (Blue Guides)
France (Blue Guides)
by Ian Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent edition of the Blue Guide to France., 20 May 2013
This review is from: France (Blue Guides) (Paperback)
I like this edition of the Blue Guide to France very much. There was a copy in a holiday cottage that we visited and I enjoyed browsing so much that I bought a copy when we returned.
I prefer Blue Guide editions of this vintage (around 1997) to more recent ones. The presentation is clear and compact. There are no photos to spoil the enjoyment of seeing places and things for the first time. And the author's favourites are starred. I think it a particular shame that newer editions have dropped the stars.
I like Ian Robertson's critical style. If he is not bowled over by a popular tourist attraction he is prepared to say so. This helps to add weight to his approval when he gives it.
It is sheer joy to browse this book and be reminded just how many treasures there are in France.

SanDisk SDSDU-016G-U46 16 GB Ultra 30 MB/s Class 10 SDHC Memory Card (Label May Change)
Offered by GizzmoHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Working fine in Canon S100, 2 Aug 2012
This memory card seems to be working well in my Canon S100 camera. Canon recommend a minimum of type 6 to provide enough speed for movies, but the extra price for this type 10 card was very small.

SanDisk SDSDQ-016G-FFP 16 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card - Frustration-Free Packaging (Label May Change)

5.0 out of 5 stars Working fine in Samsung Galaxy Note, 2 Aug 2012
This memory card seems to be working fine providing extra storage capacity on top of the 16GB already installed in my Samsung Galaxy Note. This allows me to carry in my pocket lots of scanned guide books, etc when I travel which I can easily read on the Note's capacious screen.

USB Mains Adaptor (1000mAh) for Amazon Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Kobo Wireless, Mini, Glo & Touch, Sony Reader, Samsung, GPS Devices, Digital Cameras and more
Offered by Decrescent

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 4 April 2012
We were disconcerted reading reviews of AC to USB charger adapters to see that nearly all have some negative reviews (overheating, exploding, etc). This was the first we saw with only 5-star reviews (so far). We have tried it with an iPhone 3GS and Samsung Galaxy Note; it gets slightly warmer than the Kindle adapter but it seems to do the job effectively.

Gadget Giant Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 GT-N7000 AKA I9220 BLACK Gel Rubber Silicone Case / Cover / Skin - S Line Wave Design

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits well, 6 Mar 2012
This is cheap but smart and fits snuggly. It makes the phone slightly more comfortable to grip, the buttons are less prone to be pressed by mistake, it provides a bit of protection from knocks and scratches, and makes the phone less likely to slip out of a pocket (don't ask where!).
The screen protector does not seem to affect its sensitivity to either fingertips or the stylus. I recommend watching a YouTube video on how to fit a screen protector before starting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4