Profile for the collector of stuff > Reviews

Content by the collector ...

the collector of stuff

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Frozen [DVD]
Frozen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Buck

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed but not bad, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Frozen [DVD] (DVD)
Don't get me wrong,this is a good movie.The visuals,the characters,the story and the music hold up pretty well.When I herd people say this is the best Disney film since the lion king-some even saying the best Disney film ever I was hyped,I love Disney.Just not what it's become now.
So I went into the cinema with my expectations lowered due to past experience with Disney. And I was right to do so. The film is nothing special and the only reasons you should see it is for 1)The story because that was good...not great but good 2) the "Let it Go" sequence as that was such an animation treat 3) go to to see it for Olaf the snowman.Yes...the snowman.I was one of those people who thought the snowman was going to be such an annoying side character but he turns out to be one of the better characters due to his charm.The only character I couldn't stand was Anna-she is the most unoriginal Disney princess I have seen in a long time.She just so...so...she how I thought the snowman would be...annoying...very,very annoying.She's like the copy and not so great paste version of Giselle from Enchanted.Plus the CGI characters just look a bit...freaky.

I had not heard the songs for this film before,but I expected awful pop songs like tangled.But these musical numbers were actually carefully thought out...except "do you want to build a snowman".It was annoying but I can understand why people like it but when the musical numbers started they seemed to come at really random moments.I found three of the songs really good. Let it Go, Fixer upper and Olafs song as they were the ones that seemed better timed.
The twist in the story is surprising and really works.But is it the next lion king?

No...no it isn't...Nor is it the next Beauty and Beast as those films were far superior.There were some really random moments when two people would sing at each other rather than talk which begs the question...Why the heck didn't they just talk?
And I know it's nit-picky but they could have made the film a bit darker.For me it was too happy clappy. But the moral at the end is pretty powerful for a young viewer.
To wrap it up,it is a good film,the effects and story are great.The characters and songs are...OK (Trust me when I say you wont forget Let it Go). But seriously I would like to see more 2D animation again or animation like that of Disneys short "Paperman" they finally got 3d animation to look like 2d so why not use it? If an animated version of say Wicked came out then I would love to see it in classic 2D or 2D/3D hybrid like Paperman...just not CGI because with so many companies using it,it just feels overused.

Doctor Who -- The Complete Series 5 [DVD]
Doctor Who -- The Complete Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Smith
Offered by movielovers786

2.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Who? What? Why?, 27 Sept. 2013
Lets start off by saying I'm a big Doctor who fan.No denying that,I have watched the series since Christopher Eccleston who to be honest,was my Doctor.I did not even know about the Doctor's regeneration ability until he...well...regenerated.And suddenly he changed. I liked Tennant aswell the Christmas invasion introduced him really well and only by the end of that episode could we appreciate this new Doctor with realistic companions and monsters(except maybe that one episode and if your a fan you will know which one I'm on about),but as we ended the Tennant with a sad farewell we get...Matt Smith.

Now let me tell you,this series isn't horribly bad. Just mostly bad. Now Matt Smith isn't a bad actor,he just can't play a realistic Doctor as his interpretation feels like a characture of a mad scientist.I'm not saying it's bad,but it is. The first episode feels rushed,trying to get to the action when really we need to see some character development.And it shows, in the fist two episodes the continuity is literally screaming at you.The fist two episodes are appalling with audio being off set with the film.But once you actually get past that mess the series is...well...still bad...but not as bad as the first two episodes of series 5. I reckon the Doctor who team gave us a few really crap episodes to make the rest seem good in comparison.Did it work? No it didn't. Amazingly,for the first time there isn't an episode I like,none of the episodes jumped out at me,none of them are scary, all the monsters are CGI except when they look human which is boring and half the monsters are invisible.

The Acting is good, but its good in a way that makes you feel like your watching a piece of theater where all the characters exaggerate there movements and honestly I don't believe these characters are real. But hey the Daleks are even better now right? "Nope" they now come in multi colours and even thicker than ever.Only character I actually liked was River Song. And last but not least,there is no mention of the previous series,he never once says oh I traveled with a woman called Donna/Rose/Martha.This series just feels like one big test series for Stephen Moffat as the new head writer,I liked his stories in the past but this series is like Marmite your either going to like it or hate it.

Thank you for reading my review "cough"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 3:29 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past...at a silly price., 17 Aug. 2013
I love back to the future and I love Lego,you know what I also love.This Set.Its great If your a back to the future fan and its a great way to get your kids into the film aswell. Being able to make all three cars(though not all at once)is also the great you know what wasn't great...the price.The set is great,the price is stupid,I mean the set itself is £40 for a car with bits to add to it? And the only reason some one would buy it is if they were a fan.But come on! 40 quid!But in any case I would love to see a line of back to the future toys.But Lego you really need to tone down the price.Just a bit
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2013 10:11 AM BST

Doctor Who Micro Figures Anniversary Blind Bags
Doctor Who Micro Figures Anniversary Blind Bags

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick with Lego, 17 Aug. 2013
Honestly I liked the idea of a Lego like doctor who and the first waves of doctor who micro-figure were made with excellent quality but sadly the same cannot be said with these "Anniversary" figures as each of them seem to be made of a cheaper noticeable plastic which gives a very dull look and adds no sheen to the figure,I got the second and third Doctor and would have been happier if they didn't look awful.When compared with the old figures these new ones look dull and unfinished(seriously one of the feet on mine was un painted) I recommend you go with either Lego or Earlier Micro-figure waves.I also compared my third Doctor with my new Anniversary Doctor and the hair was a different color as well as the eyes being printed above the eyebrows.I recommend you either Stick with Lego of get the earlier character building figures unless your a die hard whovian and have to get these.

Once Upon a Time - Season 2 [DVD]
Once Upon a Time - Season 2 [DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Once upon a "meh"...(Spoilers alert), 20 July 2013
I have seen,love and own the first season of Once upon a Time.It was clever it was Dark and really made you wonder what was real and what was merely fiction and after season 1 got left on such a great cliffhanger I couldn't wait for season 2.Sadly it did not live up to what I expected. Now that "magic" has entered storybrooke the mystery seems to have vanished. Now theyve woken from the curse most of the storybrooke scenes take place in a small area including the town square,granny s diner, Mary Margaret s house and a few momentary shots of outdoor locations.The season seems to be split into part 1 and part 2. Part 1 where (spoiler alert)certain characters are trapped in another world and they must find a very slow boring way to get out while storybrooke tell pointless story lines which we really didn't need example reds wolf problem (ok it added to her character but didn't give any idea of how they could get back and Dr Frankenstein, again added to his character but really,why would we focus on him when the audience is clearly more interested in Emma)these storys really feel like fillers which add to characters we really don't need to know about for each episode and the moments with Emma and snow in the other place are quite short.But even the short bits with Emma and snow are really...really...boring.All they talk about is true love and the power of love and how love conquers all...fine we get it.Why didn't they stop adding to the pointless characters we don't really need to know about and add more to the relationship between Snow and Emma. Also I have to ask why is it at some points they call themselves by there fairy tale names but at other points there fake personas invented by Regina?,its just weird. And as for effects they are just s@"£ I could take the terrible effects in the first season because any magic preformed was in the fairy tale world which was mostly made of green screen castles plus a few real forests which in its own way worked especially with magic spells.But now that they use the cgi magic in storybrooke it feels like the creators were being really cheap.I have seen better effects made by ametures on YouTube.Now saying this there were some good scenes when the characters go to Manhattan and have to deal with magic withdrawal.But this is just part 1,part 2 starts to pick up the pace and starts to get better but honestly I managed to figure out most of the twists from part 1 just by simple guess work.But as I said part 2 picks up and starts to become interesting.Honestly the first part of the season is so boring and bland but as part 2 comes in to action it feels like there is a flicker of magic left.But please don't take my word for it read other reviews and buy the season if you must but make sure you've seen season 1,because if you don't like the first season your going to hate the second.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 12:25 PM GMT

LEGO Super Heroes 6862: Superman vs. Power Armor Lex
LEGO Super Heroes 6862: Superman vs. Power Armor Lex
Offered by PERFECT ENTERPRISE DIST

5.0 out of 5 stars must have, 7 April 2013
This is one great set with 3 great minifigures that so far can only be obtained in this set.Its worth buying because chances are in the future this set will be worth a lot.

Silent Hill Downpour (Xbox 360)
Silent Hill Downpour (Xbox 360)
Offered by passionFlix UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Silent Hill is worth a look, 7 April 2013
Its not the best game in the series but heck it tries hard to be.Silent Hill Downpour is a good game,although I did experience drops in frame rate this was the only technical issue I had in in the game.Story wise,its a little confusing at first but as you play through you start to understand what the heck is going on.The Graphics are good...the fighting mechanics are not so great even though the game tries to be scary(which in some cases there are a few jumps)the game creators seem to have shifted to more of a fighting stance.The voice acting is good.

Character Building Ben 10 Micro Figure: Ultimate Big Chill
Character Building Ben 10 Micro Figure: Ultimate Big Chill

3.0 out of 5 stars meh, 7 April 2013
one of the better figures in the line...its worth having a look at....even if this brand is terrible.But its still better than previous ben 10 figures "cough"big chill"cough"

Character Building Ben 10 Micro Figure: Big Chill
Character Building Ben 10 Micro Figure: Big Chill
Offered by TOYS.inc

1.0 out of 5 stars grrrrr, 7 April 2013
Terrible, the arms cant even move thanks to the torso add on and even if you take the add on off it looks nasty as there is no body printing at all

Character Building Ben 10 Micro Figure: Ben Tennyson
Character Building Ben 10 Micro Figure: Ben Tennyson
Offered by TOYS.inc

2.0 out of 5 stars Ben is, 7 April 2013
Unlike the Doctor who series ,the plastic they used to make ben ficken 10 is awful .It dosent even look like him and the joints are too stiff-please just stick to lego

Page: 1 | 2 | 3