Profile for karmalaa > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Brugo Travel Mug Red
Brugo Travel Mug Red

4.0 out of 5 stars I had hoped for more, 29 May 2013
When I first bought the brugo I read all the reviews, did all my research, hummed and hahhed over whether to spend the money, would I use it, would it live up to expectations...in short, yes, I like it, it keeps coffee warm (though no warmer than a regular mug, please don't buy if you want an insulated mug to keep your coffee warm for hours) and the sipping mechanism does mean I can drink black coffee on the go, straight from the coffee shop without burning my mouth but what I did find was that the seal soon fails. After only a few uses I found that I coffee was leaking down the side of the cup after tipping meaning lots of drips on white shirts, not ideal. It is fine if I carry a tissue/napkin but the seal has started coming out every time I wash it. It is also not ideal for travel outside of the car as it needs to remain upright, no throwing it in the laptop bag/handbag once its finished as no seal means coffee dregs. I still use it regularly and love the colour and design.

Kitchen Craft Chrome Plated Wire Large Chicken Basket
Kitchen Craft Chrome Plated Wire Large Chicken Basket

5.0 out of 5 stars such fun, 29 May 2013
My eggs have a lovely place to live on my worktop now! Nicely made and hard wearing (we've moved house with it, dropped it on the floor and scooted it back and forth around the kitchen all without incident.)

The Tiny Wife
The Tiny Wife
by Andrew Kaufman

4.0 out of 5 stars Oddly sad, 29 May 2013
This review is from: The Tiny Wife (Hardcover)
This is a lovely little book, the characters are strangely easy to identify with even though one of them is shrinking. A lovely metaphor for a struggling relationship.

Seeing Stars
Seeing Stars
by Simon Armitage

5.0 out of 5 stars read it again and again, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Seeing Stars (Paperback)
I never tire of Simon Armitage, he is a constant warm glow and delving into this book is like being wrapped in a warm blanket and hugged by a stranger with a terrible beard who smells of warm buttered toast, unnerving but oddly comforting. It is filled with some of the saddest an sweetest poems you'll ever read, as well as those which will make you laugh out loud and then feel bad for doing so. His best work since Kid.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
by Amy Chua

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and insightful, 29 May 2013
I bought this really out of curiosity, having heard Amy Chua speaking about it on the radio. I a lot of people think it might be a manual for forcing your children to be academically spectacular or one strict parent justifying their behaviour but it is in fact very funny, very witty and very insightful. It explores many of the differences in the ways children are raised across the two continents as well as comparing the similarities. There are some lovely, touching and personal stories in here from a mum who is trying to do the best for her children, there are also some wonderful pages written by the children themselves.

The Sacrifice (The Enemy)
The Sacrifice (The Enemy)
by Charlie Higson

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 29 May 2013
What can I say? Amazing like all the others in the series! Should be compulsory reading! bring on the next one!

Mental Mugs Classic Novels Abridged Mug, Pride and Prejudice
Mental Mugs Classic Novels Abridged Mug, Pride and Prejudice

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely fun product, 29 May 2013
I bought this as a gift for a friend, we both love pride and prejudice and have long running jokes on the subject, I only wish i'd bought one for myself!

Wonder
Wonder
by R.J. Palacio

2.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to love it, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Wonder (Hardcover)
I really did want to love this book but unfortunately I think it missed the mark. Not sure R.J. Palacio gave enough credit to her intended age group, it reads painfully simply and 2 dimensional. I wonder was she hoped to achieve with the story as it seemed to me we had an oddly unlike able, spoilt, selfish central character with very pitying family and friends (who possible helped with the spoilt, selfish side...). Not the strong, endearing character I had hoped for.

Del-Del
Del-Del
by Victor Kelleher

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsure about this one, 29 May 2013
This review is from: Del-Del (Hardcover)
I bought this book as it is on a recommended reading list for children I work with, I enjoyed it though I found that the book was working harder to disturb than it was to tell a story. It quite hazy in parts; there is no real plot to take a grasp of, I found the language stunted and clumsy in places leaving children with no accessible vocabulary to explain or describe the events or how they feel having read it. There is no real reason driving the story and so itstruggles to conclude. I am unsure how a more sensitive child might react to this book.

The Enemy
The Enemy
by Charlie Higson

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 29 May 2013
This review is from: The Enemy (Paperback)
I purchased this book when it first came out having not read any other Higson books or really felt strongly about zombies! I am an avid reader and not afraid to delve into the "young adult" or "children's" section of the book shop.
I was hooked from the very beginning of this book and finished it in just a couple of days with tense shoulders, widening eyes and jumps at things that go bump in the night! Charlie Higson is not afraid to give us nightmares, nor is he afraid to give his readers food for thought, space to digest or time to make up their own minds, rarely is so much credit given to children and I applaud it. I love that this book is not an endless telling of what's happening, what people are thinking or how they feel, unlike what you find in most young adult books, Higson uses a sophisticated style which allows the reader to build a picture themselves, see the characters their own way and form their own opinions about the events unfolding. Its also deliciously gory!
This should be compulsory reading for all 13 year old children, especially those who do not yet have a love of reading. I have read the whole series and wait with bated breath for the next installment.

Page: 1 | 2