Profile for ZhuaZi > Reviews

The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words
The Baker's Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words
by J. V. Jones
Price: 6.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Different to Sword of Shadows, still better than most fantasy!, 20 Jan 2012
I read this book for the first time when I was 12, recently having finished Lord of the Rings and looking for another style of fantasy to immerse myself in. Of course, I loved it, the believable characters, the political intrigue, the (usually) subtle hints of magic, the understandable villain, the 'fate' concept which seemed all too new to me then!

I read it, and all her other books, many times (ah, the obsessions of youth), but, as the later Sword of Shadows books were coming out, I lost interest in the earlier trilogy.

After 12 years, going through a 'reminiscent fantasy phase', after hating a well-acclaimed Trudi Canavan book (she is terrible!), I started re-reading them again, partly to see whether they were as intriguing as I remembered them, or just immature and teen- focussed like Trudi Canavan. I was pleasantly surprised to find I enjoy them still!

I've seen some reviews criticising the writing. The writing style is so simple, mostly very short sentences, but works with an almost 'stream of conscience', meandering style. This would be refined in her later books, but still manages to charm here.

I'd recommend this for anyone getting into fantasy, especially younger readers wanting something more 'adult' but not ready for something too bogged down with description. Fans of Sword of Shadows (which I would argue is absolutely amazing) who haven't read this may be put off to start with, but there is still much to appreciate. Also, as the writing style is so easy to read, it only takes a couple of days to finish each book. So go for it!