Profile for Library Dweller > Reviews

The Casual Vacancy
by J. K. Rowling
Price: 8.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Are The English That Shallow?, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Hardcover)
I don't live in England, so I can't be certain, but I doubt that the English are really as small-minded, selfish and one-dimensional as The Casual Vacancy makes them out to be. The only character in the book whose actions are motivated by more than their own pettiness dies in the first (short) chapter. Everyone else has a simple formula of idiosyncratic nastiness driving them - snobbery, sloth, agression, a glib obsession with authenticity, megalomania, ... The girl at the centre of the book who comes from a very bad background, yet is loved by many, is always made to talk in such a clichéd style that, even though she cares for her young brother, she fails to come to life sufficiently for her compassion to provide any kind of a counterweight.

Perhaps the problem is that Rowling fills the book with so many characters that she isn't able to give any of them an inner life of any subtlety. On the other hand it is also possible that the English really are all shallow, one-dimensional, petty-minded snobs. That is what their foreign policy suggests! And their attitude to continental Europe! And their predilection to elect Old Etonians to public office!

Maybe the book is better than I thought!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2012 4:14 PM BST

Short Fuse: The Global Anthology of New Fusion Poetry
Short Fuse: The Global Anthology of New Fusion Poetry
by Philip Norton

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Hot, 30 April 2010
I was hoping for a higher standard of work. There was little in this book/CD combo that inspired me. Perhaps that is just me, though, I am very fussy when it comes to performance poetry.

ByteStor 16GB SDHC Class 4 Memory Card
ByteStor 16GB SDHC Class 4 Memory Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, 30 April 2010
I bought this SD card to use in an Olympus LS-11 portable sound recorder and it works fine.

Taking the PYP Forward
Taking the PYP Forward
by Simon Davidson
Price: 14.65

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Book, 3 July 2009
This review is from: Taking the PYP Forward (Paperback)
I got my copy of Taking The PYP forward a few days ago and I would rate it as the best books for practicing teachers that has come our over the past few years. It brings together all the things that an engaged teacher should know, from neuroscience to how to avoid getting weighed down by bureaucracy, and puts them together in a single, very readable volume.

I work in a state school, not an international school, but I still found the book highly relevant to the challenges I face from day to day in the classroom, and I am looking forward to the new school year when I'll see what happens when I put some of the ideas into practice.

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (Routledge Classics)
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus (Routledge Classics)
by Ludwig Wittgenstein
Price: 13.09

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Translation Around, 4 Nov 2008
Anyone who really wants to understand the Western tradition of philosophy, including where it goes wrong, should get to know the Tractatus, and this translation is by far my favourite.

It may take a little while to become familiar enough with Wittgenstein and his way of going about philosophy to appreciate the Tractatus for what it really is, but when you do you realise that it is a great book. Flawed, but great. In fact, Wittgenstein spent over twenty years working toward a book which would overcome the Tractatus's flaws while showing that the overall intelligence within the Tractatus was valid and important. This second book was published shortly after his death as Philosophical Investigations, and only by understanding the two books together can you, philosophically, begin to "see the world aright" [Tractatus, 6.54].