Profile for Natyjane > Reviews

Content by Natyjane

Natyjane

The Midnight Fox (Faber Childrens Classics)
The Midnight Fox (Faber Childrens Classics)
by Betsy Byars

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 10 Oct 2010
I ordered this book to use with my class of 10 and 11 year olds this term and to say it has been a success is an understatement! As our topic is the USA, the novel was just what I was looking for, being set in the USA and also written by an American author. Knowing very little about the book other than what I had read in other reviews prior to ordering, I was slightly anxious that it would not be as good as suggested. However my class have been riveted by the book and have pleaded with me to read more of it each day when I said we were stopping at a particular point.

From a teaching point of view, the text has provided opportunities for drama (including freeze-framing and hot seating), journalistic writing, poetry and diary writing to name but a few. Perhaps the most successful activity though was when we held a class debate to decide the fate of the fox! Thankfully the ending is not as sad as my class (or me come to that) had feared.

I took this book on holiday with me in the summer and as soon as I had finished it my 12 year old son had his head in it!