Profile for Laura > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
One More Chance
One More Chance

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional storyline, 19 Dec 2014
This review is from: One More Chance (Kindle Edition)
Abbie Glines has just released a free book about Harlow's parents which I started to read but then became intrigued about this story. I have read a few of this authors books and enjoyed most of them but once she started dragging the story out into 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 4 books, I gave up on her. It's interesting to read the negative reviews on the first book (Take a Chance) and I think if I had read it on release I would have felt exactly the same but I have just read both books in one go and I think that makes a big difference to how you feel about the storyline and it just shows that if the author would write a one off story instead of dragging it out then she may just avoid all the negative reviews from readers who are not happy.

So the first book ended on a cliffhanger. This book starts with Grant unable to contact Harlow and him leaving a message everynight on her voicemail. I will say, the storyline was predictable and I did think it was similar to Rush and Blaire's story (from the first books in this series) but then the author was able to tug at my heartstrings and I actually found this an emotional read. Harlow's letters were lovely. For those who have hated Nan (Harlow's half sister) throughout this series, then the author redeems her slightly in this book (gearing up for her own book!).

I felt some of the medical aspects of the story seemed a little far fetched in the quick recoveries and I felt like once Emily was introduced into the storyline, she was soon forgotten and Harlow didn't mention her so I wonder if that's why the author has just released a free Novella about Kiro and Emily? I did enjoy Grant and Harlow's story and now I'm intrigued enough to go back and read the other couples stories and look forward to those to come. I like Mace (Harlow's half brother) so look forward to his story and I see Nan will get her love story. That one will be interesting!

I do enjoy this authors writing style. I find her stories very easy to read, the writing flows well.

Take a Chance
Take a Chance

4.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 of 2, 19 Dec 2014
This review is from: Take a Chance (Kindle Edition)
Abbie Glines has just released a free book about Harlow's parents which I started to read but then became intrigued about this book. I have read a few of this authors books and enjoyed most of them but once she started dragging the story out into 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 4 books, I gave up on her. It's interesting to read the negative reviews on this book and I think if I had read it on release I would have felt exactly the same but I have just read both books in one go and I think that makes a big difference to how you feel about the storyline and it just shows that if the author would write a one off story instead of dragging it out then she may just avoid all the negative reviews from readers who are not happy.

I had previously only read the first two books in this series but that set up the cast of characters so I remembered Grant from book one and I liked him in that. In this book, we learn that he is afraid to love. He doesn't think he could cope with losing the love of his life but then he falls for Harlow. Harlow is holding something back from Grant and when he finds out, he's upset she didn't tell him and then the book ends...well I'm glad I've waited and the next book was available for me to read straightaway..

The Railway Children
The Railway Children

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 17 Dec 2014
I have seen the film of course but had never read the book but am very glad I have now. What a delightful read. A very refreshing change to read a book in this style. I loved it. I will pass it onto my teenage daughter as she loves the film as well.

My Beloved: A Thin Love Novella
My Beloved: A Thin Love Novella

3.0 out of 5 stars Keira and Kona Novella, 17 Dec 2014
I really liked Thin Love the story of Keira and Kona so I was happy when the author said she was writing a Novella about them. This book is about their wedding.

At the end of Thin Love, I felt like Keira had matured but in this story, it was like she was a teenager again with what she wasn't happy about and the fact she wondered what Kona was doing with her didn't wash when they had this all consuming love so I don't know where her insecurities came from? The plot felt a bit contrived just to create more angst and I love angst but this didn't feel like angst, it felt like immaturity and because it's a short story and Thin Love was such a long story, I didn't feel the emotion this time around. I felt sorry for Kona, he's telling her how much he loves and wants her and it's still not good enough?

I was disappointed in this Novella, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be, it didn't really add anything to their story and I wish I had just left it with Thin Love. That being said, it was nice to reconnect with Keira, Kona and Ransom and I'm really looking forward to Ransom's book.

Midnight Desires: 13 Sizzling, Suspenseful, and Seductive Romances
Midnight Desires: 13 Sizzling, Suspenseful, and Seductive Romances

2.0 out of 5 stars All cliffhangers..., 16 Dec 2014
Decided not to download this after I had a look into each book and realised they are all cliffhangers but the first book mentioned goes up to part 6 so far...not even sure if that's the last one.

I realise these free boxsets are a good way to get people interested in the authors books but it's just the price of the follow on books that puts me off (and the amount of parts!). Yes it's nice to get a free download but for me, only if it's a one off story.

Mrs. Scrooge (A Rocky Hill Christmas) (Rocky Hill Romance Book 1)
Mrs. Scrooge (A Rocky Hill Christmas) (Rocky Hill Romance Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-issue, 16 Dec 2014
This story was originally published in 1989 so although it reads a bit dated I see the Publisher must have tried to update it a bit as they now mention Iphones and Ipads which of course weren't around in the 80's/90's!

A nice Christmas romance. I like this authors writing style, I remember reading a lot of her Harlequin (Mills & Boon) books years ago.

Haynes V-Twin Motorcycle Engine
Haynes V-Twin Motorcycle Engine
Offered by Glaze Auto Parts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Dec 2014
My son had some birthday money to spend and decided he wanted to buy this. Now my son has a very short attention span. Nothing really holds his interest for long other than Lego which he can build and assemble quickly. Well this Motorcycle Engine kept him quiet for hours! He is 12 years old and has quite an interest in things like this that he has inherited from his Dad but for a while, this engine had him stumped! He started to get a little frustrated that he couldn't put it all together as quickly as he would some lego.

It took him nearly all day to assemble it but he was proud of himself once he did. It is the first 'toy' that he has ever had that has kept him occupied for so long and to me that can only be a good thing. He is now interested in purchasing the other Haynes models. I'm impressed with this. I think the current price is appropriate. I'm not sure it is worth the RRP.

Temptation in Texas: A Christmas Special
Temptation in Texas: A Christmas Special

4.0 out of 5 stars Alpha Male Hero, 10 Dec 2014
If you have read the other two books about this couple (one of the others is also free at the moment) you will know that Logan is an out and out Alpha Male! I love an alpha and Logan although a bit overly possessive for my liking is as alpha as they come.

This book is set 6 years into their marriage (and before kids). Logan has been away from Lauren for four days and can't wait to get back to her and make love to her but when he returns home he doesn't like what he finds. A misunderstanding over a Christmas surprise Lauren was trying to set up for Logan sends him into a possessive, jealous streak but it's more that Logan loves Lauren beyond compare and he worries about her safety etc. There are two sex scenes and lots of declarations of love.

I loved it! If you love an alpha male then you will enjoy this short read.

Noma Christmas Log with Santa & Rudolph : 20cm : LED : Battery operated with Timer : 1414017
Offered by WOWOOO

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Christmas Ornament, 7 Dec 2014
This is a lovely Christmas ornament. Takes 2 x AA batteries and it has a timer which comes on for 6 hours and off for 18 hrs. It has flickering multi coloured stars in the sky that light up and then a lovely scene with Santa and rudolph that when lit up looks really lovely. I'm very pleased with this which I bought from a local Garden Centre.

Packard Bell Easynote ME69BMP-28062G32NII Intel® 1600 MHz 320 GB 2048 MB HD GPU
Packard Bell Easynote ME69BMP-28062G32NII Intel® 1600 MHz 320 GB 2048 MB HD GPU
Offered by Ballicom International

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Notebook, 5 Dec 2014
I bought this elsewhere on a recent Black Friday deal. I have purchased it for my son who after starting Secondary School is now in need of a laptop to do his homework etc. I chose this for it's touchscreen as he is used to using a tablet with that function.

I am not a technical person, so this review will not talk of spec. It was easy enough to set up and even though I'm not that used to touchscreens apart from on my phone, I find this easy to use. The sound quality when listening to music on youtube seemed even better than my Toshiba laptop.

As with my own laptop, I can't get used to Windows 8 so I use the Desktop function which is same as Windows 7 and it's available for use on this Easynote. I have only played about with it for a little while as it's actually for a Christmas present but it's a lovely compact little machine and I can't wait to see my son's face on Christmas Day but more than that, I can't wait to have my own laptop back for personal use instead of him borrowing it all the time to do his homework!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20