Profile for Laura > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 84

Laura (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ADORE (Spiral of Bliss #4)
ADORE (Spiral of Bliss #4)

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, 11 Feb. 2016
I struggled with my star rating for this book as I love this couple. When I read the teaser chapter for this book, I loved it and pre-ordered straightaway. The start of the book will no doubt resonate with many a married couple with their first child and the changes that brings to a relationship (especially the sexual relationship). I know it resonated with me, so I enjoyed the first few chapters but then I got a bit bored and it dragged for me. I found Olivia quite annoying in this book after the growth she made in books two and three.

However, once I got halfway through, the story picked up again. It works best for me when it is Dean and Liv together. I'm not interested in the Historical Society or Dean's work or when they are apart due to Dean's travelling. To me, this may have worked better as a Novella. I enjoyed when Dean and Liv reconnected sexually and Dean is certainly a romantic and I love their chemistry and the romantic diaglogue 'beauty' and 'professor'.

I was also pleased to read a little more about Dean's brother Archer and his girlfriend Kelsey (from Break the Sky). While I will always love Dean, his brother is starting to give him a run for his money! I would love to read another book about Archer and Kelsey and wonder why the author chose not to continue their story rather than give us more Dean and Liv who had already got their happy ending and closure? Then I got to the end of this book to find that there is to be another Dean and Liv book! The phrase 'milking it' springs to mind. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Hence my struggle with my star rating. This couple will always hold a special place in my 'reading heart' but I don't feel this book added much to their story and to read there will be another one where Dean has to slay yet more dragons disappointed me slightly.

I have settled on 3.5 stars as it was more than 'okay' but I can't say I 'liked it' all.

A Forbidden Temptation (Mills & Boon Modern) (Mills & Boon Largeprint Romance)
A Forbidden Temptation (Mills & Boon Modern) (Mills & Boon Largeprint Romance)

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 11 Feb. 2016
I used to read a lot of Mills & Boon books and have read quite a few books from Anne Mather, but this one was a disappointment.

Jack Connolly moved from Ireland to Northumberland after his wife Lisa died two years ago. One of the most annoying aspects of the storyline is that Lisa his dead wife appears to him all the time and they have conversations. One day while he is talking to Lisa, an old friend Sean turns up and he has his girlfriend Grace with him. As soon as Jack sees Grace Spencer, she stirs his senses back to life!

Now we know from the synopsis that Grace is in a fake relationship with Sean but Jack doesn't know their relationship is fake but it doesn't stop him kissing Grace. Then later in the story, he has sex with Grace while still believing she is dating his friend and unprotected sex at that (not that the fact he didn't use protection is ever mentioned).

The story is boring. I didn't like Jack or Grace and they had no chemistry. The writing is poor and the author fails to provide much dialogue between Jack or Grace plus they have a scene then it's a week or so later. I think by the end of the book, they had only actually been in each others company about 4 times.

Of course we find something out about his dead wife and his friend Sean which conveniently sets them up as 'baddies'! Jack then finds out about Grace's fake relationship and they declare their never ending love for one another! I just didn't buy it. A very disappointing storyline and poorly executed.

ARC provided by Netgalley

The Tumor: A Non-Legal Thriller
The Tumor: A Non-Legal Thriller

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Novel, 10 Feb. 2016
The 'A Non-Legal Thriller' and 'the most important book John Grisham has written' tag line is slightly misleading, as this is not a novel, more like a leaflet you may pick up in a hospital etc.

It tells the story of a man called Paul diagnosed with a Grade 4 brain tumour and his treatment options and his life expectancy. It's a bit depressing. It then tells how if Paul had been born 10 years later, his treatment options and life expectancy would have been much better due to a new type of technology.

It's more an advert for this new technology and helping with funding of it.

The Trouble With Dying
The Trouble With Dying

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but needs a sequel!, 8 Feb. 2016
This story hooked me straightaway. I found it very intriguing.

Faith Carson wakes up on a hospital ceiling looking down on her body in a coma and then sees her dead Gran who is there to assist her and help her prove that she deseres another chance at life but she only has 7 days to do this or else she will die. Faith has no idea what has happened nor does she even know what Country or City she is in. She knows nothing about her life and she's as much in the dark as the reader. The first person Faith sees in the hospital room is a man called Nate. It's easy for the reader to assume he's her husband but we soon find out he's not. Her husband is Geoff and they have a daughter called Tess. Amazingly, Tess is able to see and hear Faith who appears 'ghostlike'. Other characters are Faith's Mum, Nate's mother and Tess's best friend Cynthia.

Faith has to work out what has happened to her and who are the good people in her life and who are the bad (it's not hard to work out who the baddie is). The story has a paranormal feel and was enjoyable. Towards the end, Faith does get a bit annoying as she becomes a bit too paranoid about who is good and who is bad and at certain points it got a bit OTT.

There are lots of clues to the reader as to what is going on but by the end, there are still quite a few unanswered questions. We get a few flashbacks of Faith and Nate in the past but it's not enough to understand what went wrong between them and obviously the timeline between her and Nate ending and Faith marrying Geoff and having Tess doesn't really add up but it's not explained well enough. From the snippets we get about what happened with Faith and Cynthia, it made me feel like Faith can't have been a good friend or a nice person to be honest! It's all a bit confusing! I had my thoughts about a lot of things but it's not really clarified as some aspects weren't expanded on.

At the end of the book, the author suggests a sequel is up to the readers but this book was written a while ago and I see no sign of any follow on book but having checked the authors Facebook page, it appears she is going to write the sequel but I'm still confused as to why she didn't plan on it from the get go after she finished this one as it definitely feels 'unfinished' to me.

As I say, it's an intriguing story and it was a good read but I dropped a star because the story dragged a bit towards the end but then the ending is too sudden and Geoff's character seemed to do a complete U-turn that seemed out of character. We didn't hear what happened with Cynthia and most of all, there is quite a big reveal near the end that was never explained properly and even in the epilogue, everything is hunky dory between all parties which seemed a bit odd.

This book was something different to what I normally read and I enjoyed it BUT, it definitely needs a sequel and I look forward to reading it.

Champneys Heavenly Days Relaxing Bubble Heaven 500ml
Champneys Heavenly Days Relaxing Bubble Heaven 500ml
Offered by Clearance Goods Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Bubble Heaven, 7 Feb. 2016
This came as part of a Champney's Hamper I treated myself to. The packaging is a tub with a screw on/off lid and it tells you to pour under warm water and gently swirl around. I just tipped a bit out of the tub but perhaps I used a bit too much as it certainly generated a lot of bubbles! The scent combines lavender, geranium and calming chamomile. It's not the most pleasant smelling bubble bath I have used but for those who like lavender (which I don't particularly!) will enjoy it.

Unlike other bubble bath products, the bubbles actually stayed around for quite a while. This product left my skin feeling soft as do the other products in this range. I do think it's very pricey and was glad I got the Hamper in the sale. I'm not sure I would pay the RRP of these products but they are 'luxurious' and nice for a special treat.

Pretty Broken Girl: An Unconventional Love Story
Pretty Broken Girl: An Unconventional Love Story

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 6 Feb. 2016
3.5 stars

When I download freebies from Amazon I never expect too much but this book although far from perfect was a good read.

It flicks between the past and present but I would have preferred longer chapters in the past as we never got to read enough about how they met and when they fell in love nor did we read about the wedding or their two years of marriage.

However, I liked the present. Sam comes across as vulnerable rather than alpha male but I liked him and felt sorry for how Dakota had hurt him.

I wasn't sure about Dakota. At first she comes across as uncaring. I suppose the reason for doing what she did was explained and she was young at the time but I never felt like she felt enough guilt. There was a lack of emotion to Dakota's character. Sam's character was much better written.

The part of the story about Sam's business and takeovers reminded me of similar dialogue from the film, Pretty Woman!

I did enjoy this story but when I got to the end I had forgotten that when I downloaded it, it said book one of two! It doesn't end on a cliff hanger. I believe the second book is about Sam learning to trust Dakota again.

Keep on Loving You (Cabin Fever Novels)
Keep on Loving You (Cabin Fever Novels)
by Christie Ridgway
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Second chance love story, 6 Feb. 2016
I used to read this author all the time but tastes change and I moved on to different style books. However, not long ago I noticed one of her books on the 100 Free List and I gave it a go but it was written more like a YA/NA book and I hardly recognised Ridgway's style of writing anymore. Seeing this book on Netgalley, I decided to give it a go although I had not read the other books in the series which I think would be advised as there are a lot of characters.

Zan and Mac dated 10 years ago then he suddenly left and it took Mac a while to get over him (she was 18 when he left). Now Zan has returned. I liked Mac's character (I must say, I don't like either of their names, I kept reading Zan as 'Zane'!). I quite liked the beginning and Mac's humour but then another side story is introduced totally out of the blue about Mac's employee and her love interest and I was thinking 'what's going on here'? The main story began to drag and I began to lose interest. I never felt I really got to understand or know Zan but it was a nice enough read but I really do think I'll have to admit that my tastes have moved on and this author is not for me anymore but that's my personal opinion

ARC provided by Netgalley

Wisdom WIS6565 Medium Green Clean Between Interdental Brushes - Pack of 3, Total 60

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as large as I had hoped, 4 Feb. 2016
Having bought the blue ones in a Supermarket, I didn't see any other sizes so I ordered the green and purple ones from Amazon expecting them to be a lot larger to fit in the gaps in my teeth caused by Gingivitis but to be honest, there is very little difference in thickness. I am used to TePe brushes which are a lot larger. The only thing I like about these brushes is that they are rubber and not wire but I have still noticed they bend easy like the wire ones. My daughter uses the blue ones to fit in the gaps between her braces so I will continue to buy them for her but I think I'll go back to the TePe brushes after using up the green and purple coloured ones as they're just not large enough for the gaps in my teeth.

Wisdom Clean Between Interdental Large Purple Brushes - Pack of 3, Total 60
Wisdom Clean Between Interdental Large Purple Brushes - Pack of 3, Total 60

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I call 'Large'., 4 Feb. 2016
I normally use TePe Interdental Brushes which have a good range of measurements. I normally buy the Purple and Green colours in TePe which are large so when I ordered a multi pack of Purple, Green and Blue (the blue is for my daughter who uses them on her braces) I was disappointed to see that the Purple is not what I consider large. In fact, there was very little difference between this colour and the green colour which are medium.

I do like the fact these are rubber and not wire like TePe brushes, but I'm not convinced now that they clean as well as TePe.

3x Wisdom Clean Between Interdental Brushes - Pack of 20 - Size Fine, Medium & XL (1 Each)
Offered by Direct-to-Home

3.0 out of 5 stars The Green and Purple colour brushes are not as big as I expected, 4 Feb. 2016
I recently bought my daughter the blue coloured ones for use with her braces. I normally use TePe Interdent Brushes but after trying the blue one, I decided to order the larger brushes which is what I need and so this 3 pack seemed good value.

I was surprised when they arrived and to be honest, I couldn't really see much difference in the brush sizes considering purple is supposed to be 'large' and the green 'medium'. In fact, on using both the purple and green ones, I couldn't really notice any difference. I ordered these as a change to the TePe brushes thinking I preferred these Wisdom ones (and I do prefer the fact they are rubber and not wire) but they are not large enough for some of the gaps in my teeth caused by Gingivitis.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20