Profile for Laura > Reviews

Special Dad Butterfly Book Graveside Ornament
Special Dad Butterfly Book Graveside Ornament
Offered by Roukenglen UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Graveside Ornament, 22 Sep 2014
I don't live nearby my fathers grave and so am not often able to visit and put flowers on so I purchased this. I've had it a few years now and it is still in great condition after being through some atrocious weather conditions, so a recommended buy.

Grandad Memorial Butterfly Stake Garden Stone Plaque Grave Ornament pushes in ground
Offered by A1-Homes

4.0 out of 5 stars Graveside ornament, 22 Sep 2014
I purchased one of these for a graveside. They slot in the ground and do look nice alongside other ornaments. Mine has lasted a few years now throughout some atrocious weather conditions so they seem to stand the test of time.

Willow Tree Together Figurine
Willow Tree Together Figurine

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as gift, 22 Sep 2014
Purchased this a a wedding gift for my friends wedding. She loved it and she also received the other 'Willow Tree' couple so now she collects the other figurines.

When I first saw these I wasn't keen on the blank faces but I do think they make a nice gift.

Fabulous Hair
Fabulous Hair
by Maria Neuman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for any girl who loves styling their hair, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Fabulous Hair (Paperback)
My daughter was given this book as a present as she loves styling her hair. She uses it quite a lot. It has a section on 'what hair type are you'. A section on how to care for your hair and what to use eg. crimpers etc.

There are photographs of all the styles which range from plaits, buns, twists and there are sections on hair for school and hair for special occasions.

Since my daughter was given this I have also purchased more for birthday presents as most of her friends have long hair and love to style it.

Dove Pro-Age Beauty Bundle - 6 Piece
Dove Pro-Age Beauty Bundle - 6 Piece
Offered by Fortune Bliss UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Dove Pro=Age, 16 Sep 2014
I first used the bodywash when I was staying with my mother and I liked it so I have now tried all these items. The hand cream is very good and I particularly like the body butter. It is a very thick consistency which absorbs well and I find it really makes a difference to my dry skin.

Dove Hand Cream (75ml)
Dove Pro-Age Bodywash (250ml) x 2
Dove Pro Age Beauty Bath (500 ml)
Dove Pro-Age Moisture Care Body Butter (250 ml)

Each item has a pleasant smell and leaves the skin feeling well moisturised.

Push
Push

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a feel good novel, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: Push (Kindle Edition)
Well this is a difficult book to review. I was warned not to read reviews on it and that was good advice now that I have finished and looked at some of the negative reviews!

This book is about David (who unfortunately can't really be called a romance hero because of what he did/does!) and Emma. Both didn't have the best of childhoods but they meet as adults and although I wasn't sure about Emma when I first started reading it, she definitely grew on me. I would say that if you start to read it and the first sex scene is a bit off putting to you that you carry on with it and if you feel like you can't relate to Emma you also carry on with it as this is clever writing by Ms Wallis.

I don't want to say too much as it is hard not to without giving so much away but lets just say David has a past and as you read the book you will read a chapter from each of his six ex girlfriends POV. You will also read chapters from a young Emma and as the book reaches it's climax you will read another POV which will help it all make sense and due to the clever writing, you may, like me, actually feel sorry for David. It's definitely a tough one and I can understand if other readers were conflicted.

This is book one. The second book (no release date as yet) is called 'Pull'. While reading Push I felt like I knew where the story was going and hoping that I am right about where Pull will take the story but I don't envy the author having to write that one!!

A recommended read but bear in mind it is not a soppy romance novel, it's gritty but it does have a romance between David and Emma but I doubt David is going to be one of those 'book boyfriends' that some readers are so fond of!

In the Club [DVD]
In the Club [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hermione Norris

4.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic at times but very watchable, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: In the Club [DVD] (DVD)
This drama is about six pregnant women and their partners who meet at Parent Classes but their lives slowly become intertwined.

Diane (Jill Halfpenny) is married to Rick (Will Mellor) and pregnant with twins. Unbeknownst to Diane, Rick had lost his job five months previously. The first episode is about how his character makes a drastic decision that will change their lives (very far fetched plot with this episode!).

Roanna (Hermione Norris) is a woman in her 40's who is separated from her rich husband (and two teenage children) and has given everything up for her 'toy boy' lover Simon who she is now pregnant by. Roanna definitely wears the trousers in this relationship!

Kim (Katherine Parkinson) writes an online blog about her pregnancy. She lives with her girlfriend Susie (Tara Fitzgerald). They used a surrogate donor who just happened to be Susie's ex (and father of her teenage son) Neil (Jonathan Kerrigan). Neil has a good relationship with them both but just how close have he and Kim become? Things become more strained when Kim befriends pregnant teenager Rosie who has been reading Kim's blog. Further in the series we find out who the father of Rosie's baby is (another far fetched plot!).

Jasmine is married to Dev but there is trouble in her pregnancy and she seems to be lying about how far along she is! Jasmine's character was the funniest!

Finally their midwife Vicky is also pregnant but she is secretive about the father of her baby (although it doesn't take much to work out who he is!).

Out of the six stories, the ones I enjoyed the most were Roanna's, Kim's and Vicky's. But that's not to say the others weren't good. If you can suspend disbelief then this was an enjoyable series that got better as it went on. I'm a big fan of Kay Mellor's 'northern dramas' but when I watched the first few episodes I found myself constantly saying 'as if' none more so than in the first episode concerning what Rick gets upto'. After Diane has given birth she is still in hospital and on the ward with one baby (I won't say about the other baby so as not to spoil the story) when Jasmine is brought to hospital suffering from pre-eclampsia and they end up in the same Ward! That wouldn't happen as in Maternity Wards, women who have already given birth would be on a different ward than someone waiting to give birth. Also Diane has a traumatic birth but is up and about within hours! Another of the ladies goes into labour whilst out and about with Roanna. Roanna flags down a passing car and demands he take them to hospital. Once there she then tells him to go and get help. Next minute he runs into the the same ward where the other two women are demanding help! Firstly, he would not be able to get onto the Ward without pressing the security buzzer and secondly, why run up to a ward when he could just run into Reception? Silly things like that spoilt my enjoyment of the first few episodes but then gradually, it began to grow on me as lets not forget, Mellor is a good writer.

All the actors were great in this and it starred a lot of familiar actors from some other northern dramas and comedy programmes (as well as some southerners!). I particularly enjoyed the performances from Hermione Norris, Katherine Parkinson (although must admit, I couldn't take her seriously as kept thinking of her character from The IT Crowd!) and Christine Bottomley. All the couples stories become intertwined with all the ladies supporting each other through their problems etc. There were times when there were far too many coincidences that again had me rolling my eyes at how far fetched it was.

For me, the best episode was the last episode which was Vicky's story. I did think her other half acted very much like Hugh Grant but their story was a good one.. The other women's stories are still 'left open' and as much as things in this annoyed me, I want to know what happened to them all! I would say it was definitely left open ended in the hopes of another series and I really hope we get one (although note to Ms Mellor - please make it less far fetched next series!).

4 stars. I dropped a star due to all the 'as if' moments but this was an entertaining drama that has a bit of everything like any good drama should!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 9:12 AM BST

Casdon Post Office Play Set Toy
Casdon Post Office Play Set Toy
Offered by gifts4kidz

5.0 out of 5 stars Role Play, 10 Sep 2014
I remember my teenage daughter loving this when she was young so I purchased one for my young niece.

In this day and age of gadgets, emails, text messages etc I like the idea of still teaching kids about writing and posting letters etc. Also, I know my niece's mother sells stuff on Ebay and is always packaging up items and they go to the Post Office a lot so my niece is familiar with the Post Office and items being weighed etc so she loved it when she could role play like her Mum!

Six of Hearts
Six of Hearts

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Six of Hearts (Kindle Edition)
I've decided I want to meet L H Cosway! I imagine we will get on like a house on fire as I love her sense of humour which is similar to my own, I love the insecurities her heroines have which are similar to my own and I love her references to films and music that are also similar to my own plus she's Irish and my parents are Irish!

I feel bad now that I initially set this book aside after a GR friend gave it 3 stars. I picked it up again last night and found myself loving it. I loved Matilda and Jay. Yes there are similarities in the H&H to the H&H in her other novels but they are similarities that I enjoyed reading. Jay is very sexy! Matilda is funny and doesn't realise she's sexy (to Jay, not me!).

I loved the descriptions of the illusions Jay performs. Very well done and I could picture it so clearly in my mind I felt like I was watching it on TV. I just think this author is a very clever writer. I love how she paces her storylines especially the romance aspect which helps the reader to really believe that these characters fall in love. The love scenes are also well written. Nothing too smutty but very believable.

I liked how I was waiting with baited breath for the conclusion of the 'trial' and for all the intrigue to be revealed. If there was one thing I didn't understand it was Jay worrying that Matilda would hate him when she found out but then he does have a vulnerability about him.

This was such a great read. This author is a firm favourite of mine and I can't wait to read her next book. She's very talented.

Loving Lies (The Granton University Series Book 2)
Loving Lies (The Granton University Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow to start but picks up - 3.5 stars, 7 Sep 2014
It took me a while to get into this book. At first there is too much interaction with Tess and her best friend Bailey than with Tess and Jonah.

The book starts straight after the school shooting in book 1. Tess and Bailey are volunteering at the hospital where some of those injured in the shooting are being treated. One of the injured is Jonah Abbot but Tess learns from the Nurses that nobody has been to visit him. He has amnesia. Tess is a shy virgin and gets flustered around good looking guys so when she sees handsome Jonah is suffering and lonely and he questions who she is she blurts out she's his girlfriend. Now I did expect the 'fake' girlfriend scenario to last longer than it did. Yes they make a connection during that time but it's only 5 days before all is revealed and Jonah says something to hurt Tess but that's because he doesn't think he's good enough for her.

The couple are then apart for quite a bit of the book but we get both their POV's and both are pining for each other. The timeline was confusing at times. They meet in January then reconnect in May but we are told they have been apart for two months?!. In that time Jonah has moved in with his dead best friend's boyfriend, Aubrey. I did find it odd with all Jonah's injuries that Aubrey allowed Jonah to sleep on the sofa while he had the bedroom? How did the same nail polish stay on Tess's fingernails for two months?! Picky I know but I found a lot of the plot far fetched and then it became very predictable a bit like the previous novel. Also, Jonah's past with his parents is not fully explored. Would they really abandon their son in that way? A lot of the parents in this authors novels are always completely vile!

I do like this authors writing style but I find she uses similar themes in her series. Jonah was quite similar to Logan from book one whereas he felt guilt and wanted to redeem himself. It sounds like I didn't enjoy it but it did pick up for me and I did enjoy it but it's not as good as some of this authors books. The next book will feature Bailey and I presume her 'Cowboy'?!

This is not wholly romantic, it deals more with 'issues' (bulllying, parental death, abusive parent).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20