Profile for In My Honest Opinion > Reviews

Content by In My Honest O...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 99

In My Honest Opinion (UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
My So Called Life [DVD] [1994]
My So Called Life [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Claire Danes

4.0 out of 5 stars Teen Angst, 21 May 2015
I remember watching this years ago when it was on Channel 4 and I recently found the boxset in a charity shop so bought it as I thought my teenage daughter would enjoy it. I watched it with her and while she liked it, she wasn't as enamoured with it as I was when I was younger! Maybe because I'm now a lot older than the first time I watched it I started to realise that Jordan Catalano was not as great a character as I remembered! I came to the conclusion that Angela was far too good for him!

It was good to re-watch it though and it stands the test of time. Nice to see that both Claire Danes who played Angela and Jared Leto who played Jordan have done so well since. It's a shame only one series was ever made as the ending is a little bit 'will they, won't they' and now we'll never know!

Tesco Hudl 2 16GB, Wi-Fi, 8.3in - BLACK
Tesco Hudl 2 16GB, Wi-Fi, 8.3in - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 May 2015
I bought this for my daughter last Christmas. She loves it. She uses it a lot for watching videos etc. She did buy the HUDL headphones but they recently broke. The charger also recently broke but as it is Insured for a year through Tesco they sent a free replacement.

The camera is good and my daughter has downloaded apps on it and uses Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. She hasn't experienced any problems with it and it has been used daily since she received it. I did buy it with my Tesco Clubcard Vouchers but even at it's current price it's a really good buy. I highly recommend it.

TePe Interdental Brushes 0.8mm Green - 4 Packets of 8 (32 Brushes)
TePe Interdental Brushes 0.8mm Green - 4 Packets of 8 (32 Brushes)
Offered by CrazyKangaroo

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer these to floss but make sure you are using the correct size, 18 May 2015
My Hygienist recommended these brushes to me and I've now been using three different colour ones and my Hygienist has commented on how much better my gums are now I'm getting rid of more plaque.

Having read some reviews from people complaining about them getting stuck in the tooth then this means you have the wrong size. My Hygienist advised me on which 3 different sizes to buy for the different size gaps between each tooth. Yes they can snap easily but I have learned to be more gentle with inserting them into each gap. You can also bend them to get a better angle on the back teeth.

I have had a few brushes that have lasted me a long time and a few that have snapped within a day or two. It seems to be hit or miss but I still prefer them to dental floss and I have seen the improvement of my gums so I will continue to use these.

John Frieda Precision Foam Colour 4BG Dark Chocolate Brown Permanent Colour
John Frieda Precision Foam Colour 4BG Dark Chocolate Brown Permanent Colour

3.0 out of 5 stars 3/5, 18 May 2015
I purchase this in Boots using my Advantage Card Points but I see it is cheaper to buy on here which is good to know.

I have never used a John Frieda dye before. I have quite a lot of grey. This is only the second time I have used a foam dye as I wasn't very impressed with the first one I tried. I found this one didn't foam up as much as is implied in the instructions. It's easy to apply and didn't make much mess. I left it on for the recommended 30 mins for complete grey coverage. Unfortunately, it didn't cover every grey even though I applied it thoroughly. I like the colour though and my hair felt in nice condition afterwards.

Would I use this again? No is the answer. I don't think these foam dyes are for me. I have had better results with other makes of dye and not foam ones. As with most dyes, I have found that even though they say 100% grey coverage that it is never correct and the grey is still noticeable or it is showing again within a week. However, for a quick fix it's OK.

Unruly
Unruly

3.0 out of 5 stars The story is about two couples and is told from 4 characters POV's, 16 May 2015
This review is from: Unruly (Kindle Edition)
This was an odd book to read. The prologue told me what was going to happen later in the book so the fact it's not just the story between Easton and Claudia but also her father Jack and Easton's sister Anya made me confused somewhat seeing as the story is told from all four of their POV's.

I actually preferred Jack and Anya. I felt no connection between Claudia and Easton. They are basically f*!k buddies for the majority of the book. There isn't much dialogue between them so I never felt them fall in love. The book spans about six years and during that time they occasionally have sex and then other times don't speak for two years or so but then towards the end they are suddenly in love. It was such an odd 'love' story because there wasn't actually much 'love' going on but there was definitely love between Jack and Anya so I was just confused as to why the book had two love stories going on when one I knew from the prologue was going to end in sadness.

I don't think I've read a book by this author before. When I was reading this I had to go and check if this was part of a series and I still couldn't work out whether it was as I felt like the author wrote it as if her readers would just know who the other characters were. There was a distinct lack of dialogue between Claudia and Easton. They didn't share a lot about one another, they didn't have any emotional conversations nor did they have any arguments so towards the end it felt rushed at what brought them to finally admit their feelings to one another but for me as a reader, I was at a loss as to where those feelings suddenly came from! There was something distinctly lacking although I could see what impact the author was hoping to have on her readers but for me it all fell a bit flat and it certainly didn't leave me with a feel good factor.

Scenes from the City: A Knitting in the City Surprise
Scenes from the City: A Knitting in the City Surprise

3.0 out of 5 stars Scenes from the City, 14 May 2015
I've read all the Knitting in the City books upto now and having read that the next book will be about Fiona and Greg I noticed that the story of how they met is in this book so decided to read it.

There are 4 short stories about the previous couples. Of those 4 stories, the one I enjoyed the most was Elizabeth and Nico's.

I didn't feel a whole lot about Fiona and Greg's story. It was insta love which I'm not a fan of and I didn't realise Greg was British. His accent is mentioned a few times but to me he just sounded American. I learnt something new about Fiona but Greg is still a closed book. I know their book will take place during their marriage so I am interested in reading it but to be honest I was a bit disappointed in this short story.

CAPTURE: Elements of Chemistry (Hypothesis Series Book 3)
CAPTURE: Elements of Chemistry (Hypothesis Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars The conclusion, 10 May 2015
I'm a bit torn with my rating for this book as I still liked it but there was just a little something missing.

This book starts six months after Martin and Kaitlyn's last encounter when she asked him to leave her alone. We learn that Kaitlyn has been heartbroken but she has made changes to her life. After 8 months, she sees Martin again. Martin is a bit different in this book and I missed his old self. There is less sexual tension in this book in fact they don't kiss again until near the end.

There are some new characters in this book including two new men that are attracted to Katilyn and we also meet Emma, Martin's business partner. We're told she has a 'British' accent but she just sounded American to me!

I did like that Martin and Kaitlyn had both changed and grown but them getting back together seemed a bit drawn out and made me wonder if there had been the need to drag the story over three books which is always my problem with trilogies. I missed the old Martin, I saw a few glimpses of him but not enough and I felt their 'chemistry' a little less in this book but I did feel their love, especially Martin's.

I did enjoy this trilogy, perhaps if I had read it as one whole book my rating would be an overall 5 star. I do love Penny's writing and look forward to reading more of her books but I hope this is the last of her experiment with a trilogy!

The Friend Zone (Game On Book 2)
The Friend Zone (Game On Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard NA storytelling, 8 May 2015
I didn't read the previous book although this one is apparently a standalone. It didn't hook me in from the beginning. I found myself a bit bored. I also didn't like that Ivy's pet name for Gray is 'cupcake'. I found it off putting. Gray went through some heartache with his mother. I found the storyline predictable and knew where it was going. Something happens with Ivy that scares Gray. I found that part of the plot a bit contrived and guessed what was really wrong with Ivy. I also guessed what would ultimately happen with what was wrong with Ivy. The story dragged for me. Others will probably enjoy it but the writing style was not really my cup of tea.

The Gentleman Mentor
The Gentleman Mentor

2.0 out of 5 stars There is no real story, it's just sex, 7 May 2015
WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS TO EXPLAIN WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT THIS STORY

This author can be hit or miss for me. I've found her last few offerings have been misses and this one also falls into that category.

The characters of Hale and Bri are one dimensional. The author didn't take the time to flesh them out so I was left feeling nothing about this story. There was no connection between them. They just meet up for sex. They don't tell each other any personal details or anything about their lives so when it came to them confessing their love for one another, I wasn't convinced.

There was too much 'telling' and not enough 'showing'. I felt an important part of Hale's past was just brushed over, in fact, him and Bri never got around to discussing it. She had found out about it through another character in the book and later, Hale tells her about it all by sending her a folder with details of everything about himself. This is after they are supposed to have fallen in love At no point did they even discuss it or have a conversation about it. Bri doesn't seem concerned nor does it bother her that Hale has spent his time being the 'Gentlemen Mentor'. I found the story unoriginal and predictable. The little twist in the tale fell flat as I found it totally unrealistic that someone like Hale would have a room mate.

I didn't see the need for what happened near the end of the story. It just made them seem like all they were about was sex, sex and more sex! I have read other books with a similar theme to this one and they were written a lot better than this offering. I feel like this author seems to rush her books. They end up feeling 'unfinished'. This one reads like a rough draft that she never got around to fleshing out into a proper story.

I Still Love You: (A Free New Adult Short Story)
I Still Love You: (A Free New Adult Short Story)

2.0 out of 5 stars This is not a standalone novel. You need to have read a previous book and the story doesn't end with this book, 7 May 2015
I downloaded this as it said 'a free New Adult short story'. It didn't tell me in the Product Description that I needed to have read another book before this one that introduced the couple so therefore, when I started reading I could tell straightaway that it wasn't a standalone book and so therefore, the book description is misleading.

It was confusing to read when I hadn't read the previous books plus this short story is not even complete. You get to the end to be told the story will continue in another book. I'm getting sick of the marketing tools some authors use to promote their books. Fair enough if they are honest and detail in the product description about the previous books and the fact the story is not complete. If the author was hoping to 'hook me in' and interest me enough to purchase the previous books and the next book then she failed miserably.

The heroine has bipolar. Aside from the fact the storyline didn't hook me neither did the writing style.

Edited to add: I was left a comment and a downvote on my original review (presumably by the author) who informed me:

'The author made that really clear so I'm surprised you didn't notice when reading the description of the short book, it's in the authors comments'.

However, what she failed to note was that the so called authors comments only appear on the Amazon.com listing of this book. This is Amazon UK and this is where I downloaded this book from so perhaps she might see fit to now add her author comments to the Product Description so readers are not misled. Therefore 'Miss Author' I believe my review is not 'unhelpful' but indeed 'HELPFUL'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20