Profile for Mr. D. Bell > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Bell

Mr. D. Bell "Dan Bell" (Northampton, England)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Lost - Season 4 [DVD]
Lost - Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Evangeline Lilly
Offered by EagleDVD
Price: 7.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost finally hits its stride., 29 July 2008
This review is from: Lost - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
After a disappointing season 3, this fourth season finally sees Lost progress the story at a much faster and more exciting pace. I said in a previous review on season 3 that for every good episode there were usually a couple of duffers either side. This is most definitely not the case in season 4. Each episode adds something to the overall arc of the story. It feels far more focused and doesn't drift off into seemingly unrelated stories. Also, most of the back stories tie up directly with what is happening in the present which makes them even more exciting. This is the first season I have wanted to watch one episode after another without getting bored. There are so many twists and turns in each and every episode it keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout which is something I didn't get as often with the other 3 seasons. Overall this is far and away the best season yet. There is a great cliff-hanger at the end which sets up season 5 to potentially be even better.

Superhero Movie [DVD]
Superhero Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Drake Bell
Price: 4.46

1.0 out of 5 stars I thought comedies are supposed to be funny., 10 July 2008
This review is from: Superhero Movie [DVD] (DVD)
This is definitely a strong contender for worst "comedy" ever. There are one or two bits that raise a slight smile (all of which can be seen in the trailer) but overall it is a complete disaster. It is also apparent that the writers haven't seen some of the films properly that it tries to lampoon. For instance, the hero in this film meets Johnny Storm from Fantastic 4 and asks what his superpower is. Johnny Storm says "watch this" and shouts "flame on" and, as in the fantastic 4 movies, bursts into flames. Fair enough, as this is exactly what he does. What doesn't make sense though, is that he then proceeds to jump around shouting "s***, s***, I'm on fire". Maybe I have missed something but I don't get it.

This film may work if you are five years old. However with the amount of swearing in this film, it's not really suitable for that age group. Anyone over five will find it tedious and dull, unless that is, you have the mental age of a five year old, then you will love it.

Sweex LW053 WiFi LAN USB 2.0 Adapter
Sweex LW053 WiFi LAN USB 2.0 Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with a Virgin media supplied router., 30 Jun 2008
There are already numerous reviews on this product saying how good it is. I will add to this but mention something more specific about its use.

I am with Virgin media, and the kind people there sent me a free router (but only after I told them I was cancelling my subscription as they wanted 40 quid for it!) so I could use my PS3 on-line. It arrived but I wasn't told I needed a dongle to attach to my main computer in order to use the router. Not knowing where to start, I looked at the cheapest dongle, read the reviews, and thought it sounded spot on. It arrived two days after ordering and within 20 minutes my router was installed, the dongle installed and I was joining geek heaven and playing games on line! This product is so easy to use and provided you actually follow the instructions it's a breeze to set up. True value for money.

Man Like I
Man Like I

4.0 out of 5 stars Music to put a smile on your face., 25 Jun 2008
This review is from: Man Like I (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a huge fan of reggae but had never heard of Natty before. All I can say is that Im glad a have now!! This is a fresh and uplifting collection of songs. The music never fails to put a smile on your face and Nattys voice flows smoothly over the top. When you are feeling a bit low getting in the car on your drive to work, stick this CD in and at least you will be smiling when you get there.

I Am Legend [DVD] [2007]
I Am Legend [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Price: 2.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Average film made even worse by appalling special effects., 16 Jun 2008
This review is from: I Am Legend [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I am legend has got the worst special effects seen in a big budget film for years. Considering how long it was in development it really is shocking how bad they are.

The film starts out promisingly, building a genuinely unsettling atmosphere. Will Smith is his usual brilliant self and proves once more what an outstanding talent he is. It's when the film gets darker that things go wrong. Because the effects are so bad it's impossible to take the film seriously. I am not joking when I say that there have been special effects in the latest series of Doctor Who which wipe the floor with anything seen here.

The film never recovers and all the work done in the opening third is wasted. Without Will Smith as the star, this film would have bombed at the box office. In the end it did very well, but don't let that disguise the fact that this is a very average film only just held together by a world class actor.

WaZ [DVD]
WaZ [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stellan Skarsgard
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 8.83

2.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, but for all the wrong reasons., 16 Jun 2008
This review is from: WaZ [DVD] (DVD)
This film has been marketed as cross between seven and saw. Whilst there are elements of both films present, it in no way has the clever story telling of seven or the tension and horror of saw. By the time the end credits arrive there is a feeling of "is that it" rather than anything that will linger long in the memory.

The biggest problem is the pace, it is just so slow. Also, rather than progress the story bit by bit, nothing happens for long periods and all of sudden there is a twist in the plot from no-where. Rather than be interesting or shocking it feels as if it was put there to try and keep viewers awake. The final "twist" is so stupid it beggars belief.

I had high hopes for this film. It had rave reviews in a lot of publications, but sadly I found nothing of any interest. The only moment which has any tension arrives with about five minutes to go. The problem however, is that up until this point the film has been so dull that you really don't care less what happens to the characters involved. On the box there is a quote from a magazine saying "is this the most violent film ever?" The simple answer is, no. If I was writing the quote I would change it to "is this the most boring film ever?"

If you are expecting something in the same class as seven or saw then steer well clear. It doesn't even come close to either of these films in terms of entertainment. If you like films with a (painfully) slow build up then it might be what you are after.

Jumper [DVD] [2008]
Jumper [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Rachel Bilson
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but very shallow., 11 Jun 2008
This review is from: Jumper [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Jumper is a film that works because of its simplicity rather try and weave together numerous sub-plots that end up going no-where. It feels very much like a pilot for a TV show that you actually want to keep watching to see what happens next. Admittedly the story is paper thin but it moves at such a pace it's difficult to care. The chemistry is good between Hayden Christensen and Rachel Bilson and feels natural.

The real star however, is Jamie Bell. He is very charismatic and he brings the film to life every time he is on screen. His accent is very strange though, and seems to be constantly changing. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it doesn't really matter. Some of the action scenes are breathtaking and the "jump" looks fantastic every time you see it.

Overall this is a mindless action film that feels like the start of something much bigger. There is no doubt that a sequel could flesh out the characters and provide a genuinely interesting film. If you prefer films with numerous plot strands then steer clear as this will bore you to tears. If however you want to see a popcorn film, then this is a must see.

Chelsea Season Review 2007-2008 [DVD]
Chelsea Season Review 2007-2008 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chelsea Fc
Offered by replay-international
Price: 8.13

1.0 out of 5 stars A very expensive drinks coaster., 9 Jun 2008
Every one of these DVDs that is sold proves that fans will buy any old rubbish associated with their club. I am a fan of a league one club so I have no bias towards any premier club and this is not an attack on Chelsea. However, I have to question why anyone would want a DVD which could be marketed under the tag line "the season we won NOTHING". That's right, a whole DVD devoted to a season with no glory whatsoever. As the quote goes "second place is the first of the losers". Save some money and wait for a review when something WAS one, now that would be worth keeping.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2009 4:43 PM BST

Vantage Point [DVD] [2008]
Vantage Point [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 2.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Implausible rubbish., 9 Jun 2008
This review is from: Vantage Point [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I was really looking forward to this film but sadly it turned out to be one of the most disappointing I have seen in a long time. How this ended up as a Hollywood "blockbuster" is a total mystery. It's difficult to put in context why I didn't like this film without giving some of it away, so please be warned that this review contains some spoilers.

With most films you need to suspend a certain amount of disbelief. I don't have a problem with this and enjoy a lot of films that have some plot holes and strange plot devices. Vantage point however, stretches this beyond breaking point. There are so many things in it that are utterly ridiculous, I was beginning to wonder whether this film was made as practical joke. For instance, we are supposed to believe that the President uses "body doubles" at times. OK, a bit of a stretch but I can accept that. It then becomes apparent that the double is going to do a speech in front of a worldwide TV audience. What!! We are supposed to believe that the double is an exact look-alike AND sound-alike. Ridiculous. There are so many plot holes it's as if it was written by 10 different people who have never actually met. The biggest, most stupid thing I think I have ever seen though is towards the end of the film. The terrorists are driving a stolen ambulance to get away, and there is a little girl stood in the middle of the road. You brace yourself for a gruesome killing of an innocent child when all of a sudden they swerve out of the way, causing their ambulance to crash. Now, when you bear in mind that in the lead up to this moment they have shot the President, blown up countless other people and shot others without flinching, this just doesn't add up. If they are that ruthless they would have just ran the girl over in order to get away.

The story is repeatedly told from different vantage points from midday. By the time its starts again for the fourth or fifth time the whole thing rapidly becomes very tiresome.

You can probably guess by now I didn't think much of this film. Some reviews are raving about it saying how original and clever it is, it's neither. When you look at the quality of some TV shows now, such as Lost, 24 and prison break amongst others, it's incredible how this nonsense got the green light to be made into a big budget cinema release. I would still have been disappointed watching this if it was a direct to DVD movie.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2008 10:50 AM BST

Dark Sector (PS3)
Dark Sector (PS3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, action packed fun., 6 Jun 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Sector (PS3) (Video Game)
It's easy to see why Dark Sector is getting so many mixed reviews. At times it is one of the most thrilling games I have played. The Glaive is one of the best weapons seen in a game, and ducking out of cover, throwing it and then controlling it in slow motion and aiming for heads, legs etc is great fun. For me this aspect of the game never gets boring. However, I can understand why other people would get bored though. The game is very repetitive. It has a similar feel to resident evil 4, but no where near the immersion. Where resi 4 felt as if it kept evolving all the way through with new environments, dark sector feels very samey. The puzzles are also something which have had a lot of criticism. For me they are perfect as they are easy! If however, you like to test your brain a bit more then you might find them a bit insulting. It's definitely worth looking at but it wont be to every ones taste.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19